Quantcast

Movie Trailer: "300" WOW!

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
yeah i've seen a few different previews for it...it looks awsome

edit: also it's based off of a book written by Frank Miller which is the same guy that wrote sin city
i guess i know the next book i'll be reading

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Gladiator ruled for the fight scenes but I hated the story. If I wanted grim reality heaped upon will-crushing depression, I'd just turn on the evening news. I remember walking out of the theater feeling like I did after "Last of the Mohicans"...another movie with great fight cinematography.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Gladiator ruled for the fight scenes but I hated the story. If I wanted grim reality heaped upon will-crushing depression, I'd just turn on the evening news. I remember walking out of the theater feeling like I did after "Last of the Mohicans"...another movie with great fight cinematography.
Well, this is based on a true story if that makes it any more palatable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Thermopylae
Also, the ending to Last of the Mohicans is about as depressing as they come. Great ending, but it really wasnt happy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm going to guess it is about the battle of Thermopylae where 300 spartans stood up to a force of thousands.

Edit: D'oh, scooped by shirl.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I love the part where the guy in the jet pack is flying over the river and uses the flamethrower on the dude in the speedboat.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Ahhhhh...Thermopylae. One of the benefits of working in the Ft. Belvoir Army Management Staff College during university holidays was that I read all the course materials during my lunch breaks and learned a lot about tactics and leadership. There are lots of lessons taken from those ancient battles that serve well to this day.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I bought the graphic novel, and it is a great dude movie:

tons of violence

&

plenty of smart ass comments...

After the first battle (Spartans:40, Persians 0)

Xerxes (speaking to Leonidas): Our cultures have much to share...
Leonidas: We've been sharing our culture with your army all morning...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ahhhhh...Thermopylae. One of the benefits of working in the Ft. Belvoir Army Management Staff College during university holidays was that I read all the course materials during my lunch breaks and learned a lot about tactics and leadership. There are lots of lessons taken from those ancient battles that serve well to this day.
How the hell could a story about having a few soldiers willing to fight to the death succeed against a larger stronger force have any bearing today. So silly.

:disgust:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
How the hell could a story about having a few soldiers willing to fight to the death succeed against a larger stronger force have any bearing today. So silly.

:disgust:
Tactically speaking, choosing your stand ground well and forcing your enemy to fight you through a chokepoint is very relevant and many fortresses were subsequently constructed with such defensible features in mind. If your comment was somehow referring to Iraq, I would say that a more accurate comparison could be drawn to troop movements relative to the bridges over the Tigris & Euphrates during Desert Storm rather than current tactics employed by irregular forces. For that inspiration, read Sun Tzu.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Tactically speaking, choosing your stand ground well and forcing your enemy to fight you through a chokepoint is very relevant and many fortresses were subsequently constructed with such defensible features in mind. If your comment was somehow referring to Iraq, I would say that a more accurate comparison could be drawn to troop movements relative to the bridges over the Tigris & Euphrates during Desert Storm rather than current tactics employed by irregular forces. For that inspiration, read Sun Tzu.

You take my posts way too seriously. Loosly refering to Iraq but also many other modern conflicts. One thing about an outnumbered force willing to fight to the death, they usually all die.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You take my posts way too seriously. Loosly refering to Iraq but also many other modern conflicts. One thing about an outnumbered force willing to fight to the death, they usually all die.
Maybe the White House will some day mistake a large protest for an invading army and go out Masada style....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I assume tactically US forces are doing the best job they can, given the training and many years of planning to fight on an urban battlefield.

Strategically, obviously our commander-in-chief was not exactly at his best when invading Iraq...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Am I the only one that thinks that movie looks like it's going to blow donkey balls? Gladiator was cool because all the fights were live action, and it stuck to ehat could have happened back them. The supernatural twist, guys riding Rhinos, and overly computer graphics look like they managed to ruin what could be a perfectly good script. Sin City was great, but this looks pretty terrible.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Am I the only one that thinks that movie looks like it's going to blow donkey balls? Gladiator was cool because all the fights were live action, and it stuck to ehat could have happened back them. The supernatural twist, guys riding Rhinos, and overly computer graphics look like they managed to ruin what could be a perfectly good script. Sin City was great, but this looks pretty terrible.
Oh brother...

I bet you thought Starship Troopers was "terrible" too, right?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Oh brother...

I bet you thought Starship Troopers was "terrible" too, right?
SciFi movies are a whole different animal. 300 looks like it's to SciFi to be realistic, and too realistic to be good SciFi, King Kong had he same problem. Computer graphics are good, but when used to creat images that we know and are familliar with, they don't hold up. In movies like Star Wars where the whole movie is retouched and digital, I know it is suposed to be fake, and that those things never existed so I don't mind them looking fake. "300" isn't SciFi and I think the fantasy quality it has to the cinematography looks contrived, and artsy for te sake of being artsy, not to better the movie.

I will wait till it hits video, if you want to go check it out in a theater by all meens go see it.:cheers:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
But this movie is a SciFi/Fantasy story...it's a movie adaptation of a Comic book/graphic novel, not recorded history, which in this case is a little murky depending on who's doing the writing. It's gonna have things that are accepted in a comic book world...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SciFi movies are a whole different animal. 300 looks like it's to SciFi to be realistic, and too realistic to be good SciFi, King Kong had he same problem. Computer graphics are good, but when used to creat images that we know and are familliar with, they don't hold up. In movies like Star Wars where the whole movie is retouched and digital, I know it is suposed to be fake, and that those things never existed so I don't mind them looking fake. "300" isn't SciFi and I think the fantasy quality it has to the cinematography looks contrived, and artsy for te sake of being artsy, not to better the movie.

I will wait till it hits video, if you want to go check it out in a theater by all meens go see it.:cheers:
So Jar Jar binks was good, and the battle scenes in lord of the rings were bad. Got it :rolleyes: :biggrin:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Aha! The old, "I'm don't particularily care, but I feel sorry if you do" argument!

This entire movie is done via green screen, which I believe was done for artistic, not financial reasons. Shots like this:

Could never be done "live". Is is fake or pretentious? I will tell you when I go to the theatre on opening. If you want to wait until it hits video, by all means wait...

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
But this movie is a SciFi/Fantasy story...it's a movie adaptation of a Comic book/graphic novel, not recorded history, which in this case is a little murky depending on who's doing the writing. It's gonna have things that are accepted in a comic book world...
Precisely.

If you read the book you'll see that it has the same plans that this trailler. The scene where the boy is face to face with the wolf is EXACTLYY the same. The colors, the wolf figure, the camera viewpoint. The film is not about the battle per se, but rather about the book.

BTW, I've had this book for ages (well, I bought it when it came out) and it totally kicks ass. Miller is a master when it cames to write with shadows/colors etc. His books are very dinamic, they lend themselves to this type of production (where they closely follow how and what was written)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - Burly, you really should read that book. Fvcking amazing.