Quantcast

Moving to AZ in January

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
Hello all,
Im going to be moving out to AZ, not sure where yet (depends on GF's Job) but I would like to begin planning for the type of riding im going to encounter. i have a bit of a stable and figure i can fit about 3 bikes in with all my other crap. i was thinking DH, DJ, and a xc bike... also before i quit my LBS side job i want to place a wholesale order... anything like slime or particular tires that work well? Thanks, can't wait to get out there and ride during the winter in above freezing temps.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
The riding out there is faster than it is here. Mostly due to the trails being smoother. I'm not saying they're easy, you just don't have as much of the 'typical' east coast rock garden stuff, so it's easier to just rip down a trail. That said, if you can swing it, I'd go DH/FR, 4-5"XC, and get a SS. I don't know how much you'll use a DJ bike unless you want to hit the BMX tracks. The good jump spots I remember always got plowed (union hills).

The type of riding will vary from place to place. If you end up in Flagstaff, you'll be doing lots of climbing (XC) stuff and I don't know if they ever started letting you ride the lifts at Snowbowl. (would really make the DH bike a waste) Phoenix has all types of stuff to ride. Each bike would be satisfied there. Tucson is similar to Phoenix,... loose, dry, dusty trails of varying technicalities.

Have fun. I'm jealous. I've been in VA since 2000, and treasure every chance I get to go back to AZ and ride. See if you can pick up a copy of Cosmic Ray's Fat Tire Tales and Trails. It has most of the State's rides listed in it and gives a good account for what to expect on each one.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
Thanks for the info. I have a SS so maybe i will ditch the geared bike... I have been in NOVA since 99 and im through with this place... too many retards congregated in one area all with a better "plan" than the current presidential house... im just kinda sick of it.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'm with you on that. One more thing to make sure you have before you 'leave' the bike shop arena is a good set of lights. You'll need them in the summer when the temps don't dip below 100 even overnight. Don't worry, you'll get used to it. It's only really bad in late July/August, but it's bad here then too.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
Sunrise...but it's about a four hour drive. Chairlifts.
Flagstaff can be shuttled as well as South Mountain in Phoenix. You might not use it as much as your XC but I think you'd regret not bringing it.

InsideMan

Monkey
Jun 1, 2006
On an Island
bring your DH bike for sure, South Mountain has great DH courses with a pretty big community of riders. Sunrise Ski resort has lift access during summer as well but its 3hrs away.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
does south mtn have lifts? also what does everyone think of this stable to bring...
dh
4x/dj/trail bike (yeti 4x)
road bike??? or should i bring my single speed?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
No lifts on SoMo, but there are shuttle situations.

There are a couple DJ spots around town and I know a couple riders (including myself) that ride street in Phoenix.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
I will be around rt 17 and 101 on the 2nd or 3rd of january... anyone want to fill me in on what to expect? am i moving to the ghetto?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I've never ridden up there, but I was on the 101/17 out by there saturday and noticed a couple small mountains with some trails cut into them.

There may be a lot of undiscovered riding up there, but you're never too far from decent riding in the valley.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Just head straight south on I-17. When you get downtown you can choose to either continue south on Central to the main entrance (where the shuttles go), or head east and around to the Guadalupe side for the good climbs... Mmmm... National.

btw, I-17/101 is not too far from Trail 100 or Pima / Dynamite. Look for each of those for some good riding. Or if you have some time head North to Sedona for the day. You're halfway there in my mind.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Pima / Dynamite.
I thought I heard some rumblings about this area being done for to make way for new homes. If I'm wrong it's prolly not far off.

Hey JZ, let me and/or Marksee/Reactor/Trainwreck know when you're ready to ride. We'll show ya around.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I thought I heard some rumblings about this area being done for to make way for new homes. If I'm wrong it's prolly not far off.

Hey JZ, let me and/or Marksee/Reactor/Trainwreck know when you're ready to ride. We'll show ya around.
That sucks if true. I don't doubt it. One of the best places EVER to ride was the old Pinnacle Peak trail on the south side of Dynamite. They used to hold Cactus Cup there back in the early 90's. What a great course. It was written up as the 12th best trail in the world back in about '97 in one of the mtb mags. Wow, riding has changed a lot since then.

One of my buddies who worked construction actually drove a tractor over some of the trail as he cleared the way for new homes (then). They've been there at least 10 years now. It was only a matter of time before they encroached onto the other side of the street. Too bad, 'cus there were some good trails up in there.

Guess it's not too far from I-17/101 to get up to Cave Creek / Carefree for some rocky riding. Trail 4 out north of Bartlett used to be okay. Plenty of woods to just explore up in there, or go to South Mtn.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I cruised up north of Bartlett about 6 months ago looking for some cooler, tree lined trails and all I found was burned out hills. :sad:

I lived in North Scottsdale 10 years ago and we used to go Jeeping between Dynamite and Cave Creek/Care Free and now it's filled with houses.

The good ol' days...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I cruised up north of Bartlett about 6 months ago looking for some cooler, tree lined trails and all I found was burned out hills. :sad:

I lived in North Scottsdale 10 years ago and we used to go Jeeping between Dynamite and Cave Creek/Care Free and now it's filled with houses.

The good ol' days...
So no more out the power lines towards the hills and roller coaster? Damn, that sucks.

The only thing I remember exploring up near Bartlett was Trail 4 and I was on my Cyclocross bike doing a loop from Pima / Dynamite. I started around 2:00pm and finished around 9:00pm, 4 hours after dark. After descending into the canyon, the trail turned to 'destroyed by horse' path for miles. I chose to keep going instead of turning back and didn't make it out until well after dark in February. It coined the term 'adventure riding' for me, but the activity was short lived as I got a Full Squish bike shortly thereafter.

Sucks that it's probably burned out. It was pretty back there with the swimming holes and what not.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
so other than dry, what are most of the trail conditions like? should i buy a 10 lb bucket of slime? what have you found the best tires to be? I want to make one more big shop order through QBP...

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I liked Tire Lightning (Eco-Seal / Re-Seal) when I lived there. I would think Tubeless with Stan's would be the way to go now though.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!

I've had good luck on South Mountain's jagged terrain riding my Stinky with Maxxis Minions with Slimed Maxxis downhill tubes. Many people like Maxxis UST Crossmarks with some Stan's in them on their XC bikes.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Anyone know if there is much DH is the area?

Edit: without driving to CO...
Probably the three best bikes for out here are:

XC (singlespeed works well)
5" trail bike
And a pedalable freeride/dh/heavy duty trail bike.

Most of the XC/racing riding is singlespeedable. Most of the trail riding is pretty rugged and a 5" trail bike works pretty well. SoMo is good if you have a heavy duty bike, and there are always the lifts at sunrise. Flag has mount elden, and it has a little of everything from downhill to xc.

Know where you are moving to yet?

P.S. Lots of sharp rocks and thorns anywhere south of flagstaff.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
Sweet pics Im stoked... so if i bring the following i should be good?

ironhorse sunday
yeti 4x
yo eddie SS
roadie bike

I will be out there around January 6th... I cant wait. I will definatly hit you guys up when i get there. Where is the shop with the pump track in the back?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Sweet pics Im stoked... so if i bring the following i should be good?

ironhorse sunday
yeti 4x
yo eddie SS
roadie bike

I will be out there around January 6th... I cant wait. I will definatly hit you guys up when i get there. Where is the shop with the pump track in the back?
I'm not sure, but it might be bike and bean in sedona.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
Rt 51 and E Northern Ave is the exact location... i was guessing last time. I see a lot of trails on google earth on the hills directly east. Any idea if those are any good? Im pretty excited about getting out there. also is south mountain on the southern end of Phoenix so if im looking over the city im looking north?
thanks,

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Rt 51 and E Northern Ave is the exact location... i was guessing last time. I see a lot of trails on google earth on the hills directly east. Any idea if those are any good? Im pretty excited about getting out there. also is south mountain on the southern end of Phoenix so if im looking over the city im looking north?
thanks,
Hell, you're right next to Trail 100 and a few others at the Phoenix Mountain Preserves. No so much DH, but it's perfect for getting used to Phoenix riding. That hood is a nice mix of Phoenix residents and you're also right on the canal in case ya just wanna go pound out some flat miles. Great views over there.

SoMo is prolly 15 miles south of you, but you're right next to Squaw Peak (51) so it's a quick trip.

:banana:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
ah yes... the almighty google earth... is it safe to assume that phoenix mountains park is south mtn?
No. That's actually North mountain park. But as SB said, there are plenty of other trails in there besides trail 100 to have your fill of. And it's a quick trip south about 10-15 miles to get to South Mountain.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
SB hows the racing scene out there?

I'm an old drunk guy, so I don't race. DH racing will best be addressed by Fish and the guys at cactusbike.com. They have a race team and hit a lot of the regional races.

There's some XC racing all over the Valley.

If you're referring to road racing, I have no comment.