Quantcast

Moving to Denver

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
Hi All,
I'm planning to move to Denver this Summer from NYC and I'd like it if someone could tell me what the local trails are like. I'm used to riding at Plattekill and Diablo, if that helps anyone for a reference. I'm mostly interested in DH but will happily consider fast singletrack. Thanks in advance!
-Danny :biggrin:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
What do you mean by "local"? There is precious little DH stuff "local" to the Front Range. You pretty much have to drive into the mountains and hit up the resorts for that.

There's TONS of fast singletrack in the area. Tons. Gobs.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Search for the "hogback trail" near Golden or the Front Range. One of the best local trails.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
What do you mean by "local"? There is precious little DH stuff "local" to the Front Range. You pretty much have to drive into the mountains and hit up the resorts for that.

There's TONS of fast singletrack in the area. Tons. Gobs.
Good to know there's good stuff to be found. "Local" means closer than a drive to Platty (2.5-3hrs) or Diablo (1.5hrs). About how far into the mountains are we talking here? Thanks for the responses guys!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Good to know there's good stuff to be found. "Local" means closer than a drive to Platty (2.5-3hrs) or Diablo (1.5hrs). About how far into the mountains are we talking here? Thanks for the responses guys!
Keystone: ~1h15m
Winter Park: ~1h15m
Vail: ~1h45m

Note: I don't DH so I can't comment on how good those things are.

XC: 5 minutes

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Please do *NOT* shuttle Front Range trails for DH. It is the single most likely thing to get cycling banned from the Open Space parks. The hikers and equestrians, for the most part, would like to see us gone already.

Save the DH for Keystone/Vail/Winter Park. If you're going to ride the FR trails, don't bomb.

Unless these shuttle trails are something new I don't know about that are suitable for DH. Then ignore my ramblings. :D

Riff Raff

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Back in Boulder ready ta ride
Please do *NOT* shuttle Front Range trails for DH. It is the single most likely thing to get cycling banned from the Open Space parks. The hikers and equestrians, for the most part, would like to see us gone already.

Save the DH for Keystone/Vail/Winter Park. If you're going to ride the FR trails, don't bomb.

Unless these shuttle trails are something new I don't know about that are suitable for DH. Then ignore my ramblings. :D
No worries, I'll save the DH for the resorts. However At this point my only rides are an M1 and a 6" Heckler and at my age I can't seem to pedal ether up hill. Just looking for some nice flowing S/T.

Geee, I feel so out of place in Boulder without a hardtail XC and a Subaru...

-H

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
No worries, I'll save the DH for the resorts. However At this point my only rides are an M1 and a 6" Heckler and at my age I can't seem to pedal ether up hill. Just looking for some nice flowing S/T.
Nice flowy S/T - Mt. Falcon to Lair-o-the-Bear. The section down to LotB kicks ASS. :thumb:

And don't forget Enchanted Forest. Great fun.

And Mustang.

And Longhorn.

And Red Mesa.

Pedal your bikes up the hill, ya pantywaist. Ascentrek does it with both his Nomad *and* his VP Free. :p

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
There are DH shuttlable trails within an hour of Denver.
You just have to know where they are. :monkey: and...
it also depends on who your riding with on whether or not they want
to share. however, I dont think most trails will be shuttleable yet
due to deep snow at trail heads and such.
Last spring it took some abitious snow digging to get them open.
I'm not sure we'll be that ambitious this year. but who knows.
depends on how long it takes for the melt down. and really the melt just got started.

Riff Raff

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Back in Boulder ready ta ride
Nice flowy S/T - Mt. Falcon to Lair-o-the-Bear. The section down to LotB kicks ASS. :thumb:

And don't forget Enchanted Forest. Great fun.

And Mustang.

And Longhorn.

And Red Mesa.

Pedal your bikes up the hill, ya pantywaist. Ascentrek does it with both his Nomad *and* his VP Free. :p

Thanks for the tip on the trails, I don't think many folks pantywaist or not pedal a 50+ lb bike uphill. :eek:

-H

el_sp1c

Chimp
Aug 18, 2004
I just moved to the boulder area last year from NYC. Its a good move man. Diablo and Platty were my old DH places. Keystone is unreal. Everything is nice and spread out, not 10min from top to bottom like diablo.

You will love it out here

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
I just moved to the boulder area last year from NYC. Its a good move man. Diablo and Platty were my old DH places. Keystone is unreal. Everything is nice and spread out, not 10min from top to bottom like diablo.

You will love it out here
I can't wait. We're in the process of selling our apartment and should be moving out sometime in July or August.