Quantcast

Moving to SoCal - where to ride?

Sep 9, 2004
richmond, va
Hi all,

I'm going to be moving to Southern California this winter and was wondering where I might find the best DH trails. I am driving my recently purchased schoolbus (sweetschoolbus.blogspot.com), which will double as my home for the months that I'll be in Cali (December to April). Basically, I can go anywhere that the riding suits me. I'm just trying to find out what area has the best locale for riding year-round on mainly DH / lift accessed trails. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dennis
- moving from Richmond, VA

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I haven't seen a chairlift in So-Cal since Snow Summit went anti-DH in 2004 :(
There's a chairlift there still, but you can't take a DH bike on it, just trailbikes.
There's plenty of shuttling going on though.
If you ride in Santa Barbara stop by one of the bikeshops and pickup a cowbell for the hikers and be cool on the trail.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I haven't seen a chairlift in So-Cal since Snow Summit went anti-DH in 2004 :(
There's a chairlift there still, but you can't take a DH bike on it, just trailbikes.
There's plenty of shuttling going on though.
If you ride in Santa Barbara stop by one of the bikeshops and pickup a cowbell for the hikers and be cool on the trail.
I've seen DH bikes on it. I've taken my dh bike on it.

Sep 9, 2004
richmond, va
That sounds cool. I wouldn't mind riding/hiking to get some rides in. Does anyone know how far north I'd have to go to find lift access. What about during the winter months? Anything still offered for bikes or does it all switch over to skiing/boarding?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
That sounds cool. I wouldn't mind riding/hiking to get some rides in. Does anyone know how far north I'd have to go to find lift access. What about during the winter months? Anything still offered for bikes or does it all switch over to skiing/boarding?
NorthStar has the longest lift season for bikes, but it will be over sometime in October, to make room for skiing and boarding. You won't find any lift access during the winter months in California, but there are plenty of killer shuttle runs all over SoCal. Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo have some quality DH riding. As well as Santa Cruz, and a bunch of places in Orange County.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Its there land, noone says we "Have" to go. Seriously though, even when it was servicing at DH, it wasnt that good

Dude,

1. Their, there, they're. They all have different meanings.

2. It's not their land, they lease it from USFS.

3. The owners are muppets (not sure what that means but it sounds derogatory so I'm going with it). You're right, we don't have to go there, but that doesn't mean the owners aren't idiots.

4. The reason it wasn't that good previously is because of the SS management, not despite the management.

5. You don't need to defend the owners, they obviously don't care about our sport or the livelihood of Big Bear, they've proven that over and over...

6. When are you going to post your inside knowledge? I'm going to keep hounding you until you do.

To the original poster, sorry for ruining your thread. Post up when you get out here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of shuttle/HAB trails.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My understanding is that with Big Bear/SS, what you're paying for is access to the lift, not the trails, as the trails technically aren't on the resort property, but the surrounding Nat'l Forest. Is this correct?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not to jack the thread, but does anyone have info on trails specifically in the Claremont area? I'm moving there on the 26th. Any group rides I can hook up with? Is there a good shop in town?