Quantcast

Moving to Utah--Need Friends

Joss DeWaele

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
The SLC
I'm an average looking cyclist, 180lbs, who enjoys long rides on never-ending single track and technically challenging downhill. I enjoy dirt jumping, urban riding, and have experimented briefly in trials. Long walks on the beach suck. I'd rather bike.

At the end of this next summer I will be moving to Salt Lake City of Park City. Does anyone know any good bike shops in the area? Or for that matter, does anyone know any good trails, both cross-country or downhill?

Is there anyone on RideMonkey that lives in that area?

I have no friends.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
too bad utah does not really exist. even if it does there are no people there. sounds like you will be alone forever. but one positive thing is you will have the whole place to yourself. i mean of course if it did really exist which it does not.:cool:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
go ride is in salt lake, definately the best most knowledgable high end downhill and freeride shop in the state. There's a couple of others but I never went in any of them. I was in Provo at the Y for a couple years so I know a few of the trails down that way and let me tell you american fork canyon has some of the best single track I've ever ridden period. Check out the ridge trail from the alpine loop summit to tibble fork reservoir, it's something like 8 miles of continuous downhill singletrack. Further south in payson canyon is the blackhawk trail which again is about 9 miles of downhill singletrack with some short climbs just for fun. The bonneville shoreline trail runs from salt lake to provo roughly and is a good trail for training or after work rides. I'm not sure of the trails toward salt lake, that was just too far to drive with so much good riding close to provo. I hear deer valley is a hoot in the summer time.

Mani UT lives in salt lake and has a posse that made a short urban video a while back, PM him and he might give you some info. Powderboy lives in Orem, he operates feedthehabit.com and has lots of info on local trails and such. He got married about the time I moved and last I heared he was selling his bike for something else since he hadn't been able to ride as much. It seems like there were a few other folks too. There are a bunch of mormons who ride though, just hang out at your favorite local shop and you'll meet people who rides as much as you do, especially near the universities.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Revolution in Sandy (Suburbia) is the best bike shop in the valley. East side of Salt Lake is much more bike friendly than the west side, but as a whole, Salt Lake isn't much of a bikey city except near the University. Drop me a PM if you wanna go ride...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Originally posted by bikesaregood
Thanks for the info.

What did you do at the Y in Provo?
Mostly riding and surfing the internet for bike stuff when I wasn't doing that I was engaged, having kids, changing poopey diapers and sleeping.

You didn't mean what did I study did you? Manufacturing Engineering Technology.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Salt lake city is hot as hell, i go out there sometimes, my grandparets own 2 high end fassion stores in the area.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Originally posted by bikesaregood
I'm an average looking cyclist, 180lbs, who enjoys long rides on never-ending single track and technically challenging downhill. I enjoy dirt jumping, urban riding, and have experimented briefly in trials. Long walks on the beach suck. I'd rather bike.

At the end of this next summer I will be moving to Salt Lake City of Park City. Does anyone know any good bike shops in the area? Or for that matter, does anyone know any good trails, both cross-country or downhill?

Is there anyone on RideMonkey that lives in that area?

I have no friends.
Say it aint so joss, say it aint so. :(

Why are ya leaving the mountain biking capital of well..... Boulder County.....?

The Y wont be the same withoutcha.....

On a simlar note:

Im gonna be rolling through Utah in the next couple of days, probably through Salt lake and then down to moab.

Any trails (DH or otherwise - preferably DH) that i cant miss?

Thanks,
Jonathan

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
Originally posted by Kornphlake
go ride is in salt lake, definately the best most knowledgable high end downhill and freeride shop in the state. There's a couple of others but I never went in any of them. I was in Provo at the Y for a couple years so I know a few of the trails down that way and let me tell you american fork canyon has some of the best single track I've ever ridden period. Check out the ridge trail from the alpine loop summit to tibble fork reservoir, it's something like 8 miles of continuous downhill singletrack. Further south in payson canyon is the blackhawk trail which again is about 9 miles of downhill singletrack with some short climbs just for fun. The bonneville shoreline trail runs from salt lake to provo roughly and is a good trail for training or after work rides. I'm not sure of the trails toward salt lake, that was just too far to drive with so much good riding close to provo. I hear deer valley is a hoot in the summer time.

Mani UT lives in salt lake and has a posse that made a short urban video a while back, PM him and he might give you some info. Powderboy lives in Orem, he operates feedthehabit.com and has lots of info on local trails and such. He got married about the time I moved and last I heared he was selling his bike for something else since he hadn't been able to ride as much. It seems like there were a few other folks too. There are a bunch of mormons who ride though, just hang out at your favorite local shop and you'll meet people who rides as much as you do, especially near the universities.
C'mon, Phlake... I still ride, but I'm just trying to juggle way more things now. Plus, I hven't had a bike for a couple of weeks. Cut me some slack already... :D

bikesaregood -- I'll show you a few trails when you get here... drop me a line anytime jason at feedthehabit.com