Quantcast

Mozartt chainguide,very light

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Mozartt precision racing components is a Poland based company that specializes into making custom & light weight components,from chainguides to custom made crowns for dual crown forks for some fork models.

They offering two models,1 with bashguard(WG) and 1 with out bashguard(WoG),I have picked the WG model(ISCG05 mounting) which comes with bashguard for 36T-38T chainring.

First Impression:
When you pick up the Mozartt WG chainguide out of the box,the first thing you notice is how rediculous light it is and how well it is cnc machined:) .The gold anodised backplate & hardware(bolts,nuts) is pretty sweet but more tricked is the name they engraved onto the backplate for you as a option(which is either your'e own name or user name):thumb: .

Materials:
The Backplate is made out of a 5,5mm thick 7075 T651 alloy and come in 4 color options,the bolts are made out of 7075 Alloy which also comes in some colors.The chainguide pulley wheel are having a sealed bearing.

Weight:
The Mozartt WG chainguide is very light compaired to it's competitors like the MRP and E-Thirteen chainguides.Here are the weight's with some compairisons from other brands(to give you a idea how lite the Mozartt chainguide realy is)

versus other more expensive brands

Pricing:
The pricing is realy amazing as the chainguide it self,these things put other expensive brands to shame.The pricing is only 88 euro incl shipping while a E-Thirteen for example cost close to 140 euro!!!.It's a very good value for something that is very good made with out beeing very expensive

Great dealing with these guys,im very happy and it looks great:thumb: .The owner of the company is on pinkbike but you can also visit their website
http://mozartt.pinkbike.com/
http://www.mozartt.com/

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Do you think they could have knocked off the SRS+ any better? Jeez. The weight savings over the SRS+ comes at the expense of not having the lower arm angle adjustment.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
The Mozartt guide is fully adjustable on both the lower arm & top arm

The extra top plate has a other shape because it's is specialy designed so that the Chainguide will work with the Trek Session 10.The top plate that is mounted is more suitable for other frames than the Session 10.

Last edited:

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
The Mozartt guide is fully adjustable on both the lower arm & top arm

The extra top plate has a other shape because it's is specialy designed so that the Chainguide will work with the Trek Session 10.The top plate that is mounted is more suitable for other frames than the Session 10.
Why did they bother making specicialy designed to work with a bike that stopped production 3 years ago?
The e-13 has more adjustment in the lower arm which makes it more suitable for my V-10 :thumb:

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
Ok, they are light and cheaper than e13, but in my opinion product that ripped off 3 other designs ( gamut for the backplate, e thirteen for everything else, and upper guide on wog model is same design as mrp),,, is not worth even considering.... But that's just me..

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Obviously, this chainguide was not in development for 2-3 years before the sneaky-peaky-promo release on internet forum. That's where the big price difference comes from, IMO.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Why did they bother making specicialy designed to work with a bike that stopped production 3 years ago?
Mainly because their are still people riding these bikes and it's a good option to get rid of the heavy SRS guide(old ones),they have the upper guide ready for that application on a bike like the session.

For weight and price the Mozartt is hard to beat imo,but for more adjustments you can't beat the E-13 guides.

Last edited:

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Forgot the Gamut USA comparison...

NOTE: This is with ALL of the mounting hardware, unlike the other examples.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I don't care about a few grams. I want it to hold up to Platty and Mt Snow etc. Parts are getting to weak for me. This is Downhill after all.

Last edited:

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Forgot the Gamut USA comparison...

NOTE: This is with ALL of the mounting hardware, unlike the other examples.

Thnx i thougth i missed something,just weight the mozartt guide with all the mounting hardware and it comes in at 185g w/black bash and 187g w/white bash:)

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
but really, all the effective modes of chain retention have been done. any new guide is going to share similarities with current hardware. in this case they've developed something that's lighter than the rest, looks very fancy, and retails at an attractive pricepoint. nice work.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Ahhhhh, sincerest form of flattery....
HOLY SH*T I stumbled upon this great find!!!

They both have
-2 crowns, attached by bolts
-an arch
-an axle
-similarly sized stanchions
-shimz
-damper rods
-springs
-pressed in steerer tube
-compression and rebound adjusters

THEY ARE COPYING EACH OTHER ZOMFG!!!!

Oh wait, its maybe b/c chainguides are incredibly simple devices that have been around in nearly identical forms in dozens of other industries that perfected the design a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGggg time ago.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
HOLY SH*T I stumbled upon this great find!!!

They both have
-2 crowns, attached by bolts
-an arch
-an axle
-similarly sized stanchions
-shimz
-damper rods
-springs
-pressed in steerer tube
-compression and rebound adjusters

THEY ARE COPYING EACH OTHER ZOMFG!!!!

Oh wait, its maybe b/c chainguides are incredibly simple devices that have been around in nearly identical forms in dozens of other industries that perfected the design a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGggg time ago.
Lmao.... the wheel is the perfect example of being copied... and toilet paper come on... :D....

there are only so many ways they can be done so they are bound to overlap....either way now we can get a great design from any of the guys and base it on brand loyalty, cost or weight...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MRP Unveiled new guides in April 2010, so their specs are now:

-36-40 tooth G2 SL weighs 190 grams
-32-36 tooth Mini G2 SL weighs 167 grams

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
The Mozartt looks good.

It's not a copy of anything.

The battle for lightest chainguide? Seriously? 40gms at the BB shell area will make or break your race run?

Yeah, maybe it will. When the mill removes too much metal from the backing plate and it crunches up, freezing your crankset in the process, it may ruin your race run.

But being 40gms lighter won't make you win where you'd come in 10th otherwise.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
blah blah blah blah blah
Well, since you bothered to neg rep me for that post, lets do a little design exercise and see exactly how they're similar, shall we?

Backplate - same general design, but that's not exactly anything special since quite a few manufacturers have something similar.

Here's where it gets really interesting:

Top piece comprised of two elements, a plastic backplate to hold the chain in place on a left/right basis, and a top element to hold the chain in place on an up down basis. Top piece held in place by two screws that allow the piece to move up and down on as needed, but backplate design is slotted to allow for a constant angle of the backplate relative to the chain.

The bottom component is comprised of a plastic backplate, a fore-plate (?), and a cog to hold the chain in place. The bottom component is held together primarily by a single screw that goes through both plastic plates, the cog sandwiched between them (and bearing), and then into a slot in the backplate. The 2nd bolt holding it together is where they differ in a HUGE way: the e13 has *two* slots, whereas the Mozartt only has one slot and then has keyed the other bolt up against the arm of the backplate. OMFG, totally different. Like, completely.

I'm not even going to get into the whole bashguard aspect, complete with the crank arm recess on both sides (not just one) or the honeycomb appearance.

So please, enlighten me on how this is different, in ANY WAY than a comparable e13? ANY WAY AT ALL. Because I see:

1) Different machining of the backplate while keeping almost the identical geometry
2) Alu hardware
3) Lightweight

So talk about how it's lightweight, and cheap, and all the other positives it has going on, but original it's not. Hell, want to make a bet that they even used the same hardware and spacing from the original SRS so you could literally swap the pieces from an e13 backplate to a Mozartt backplate? A certain company I remember not only did that, but also had the exact same bolt sizes...

Last edited: