Quantcast

Mt Hood DH race may 9/10.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Anyone know the what the course is like? I heard DH enduro/super D style , but the message says it 's on the lower mtn with lift access, practice 10-4 on Saturday 3 run race format on Sunday w/ best 2 out of 3 runs count (one throw away run), which sounds pretty DH to me. I want to go but would like to know how good the course is first.

Any Monkey's going?

http://www.skibowl.com/winter/FatTireFarmFlyer2005.pdf

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Nick, Kevin and I are heading down for the race on Sat. if you need a ride, or place to crash (we have floor space) call Kevin.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
I will be there, first race of the year for me. I have no idea what to expect but should be fun from what I have been told.

Snacks what time are you heading down? I may follow as I have no idea where I am going......... :think: ........again :rolleyes: :evil:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
evilbob said:
I will be there, first race of the year for me. I have no idea what to expect but should be fun from what I have been told.

Snacks what time are you heading down? I may follow as I have no idea where I am going......... :think: ........again :rolleyes: :evil:
First race of the season for me too! DH to boot :dead: I'm not sure what time we are heading down on Saturday. I thought practice started at noon, but I'll email Petr to confirm.

From what I'm told, by Kevin and Damon, the lower part of the course is great. In the tree's....thenical and tight. You should love it, plus lift service :)

It's pretty easy to find. If you need a place to stay check out the Huckleberry Inn. They are pretty cheap and since it's sooper slow this time of year you can check in early and have late check out.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Snacks said:
First race of the season for me too! DH to boot :dead: I'm not sure what time we are heading down on Saturday. I thought practice started at noon, but I'll email Petr to confirm.

From what I'm told, by Kevin and Damon, the lower part of the course is great. In the tree's....thenical and tight. You should love it, plus lift service :)

It's pretty easy to find. If you need a place to stay check out the Huckleberry Inn. They are pretty cheap and since it's sooper slow this time of year you can check in early and have late check out.
Thanks! Are you riding at all this week?

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Are there going to be more races later this year? I would like to go and have heard good things about the Mt. Hood races, but can't make it this week end. Could someone post some pics of the course?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
evilbob said:
Thanks! Are you riding at all this week?
I'm pretty sure we are hitting Tolt tomorrow :love: around 5pm. You should get with Jr_B and car pool down.

Not sure of the plans for the rest of the week. I twisted my bad ankle in soccer last night, so I'm going to see how it feels riding tomorrow and go from there.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
why would they hold the first race of the season on mommy's day? don't you people have moms wives w/children. thats retarded!

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Tootrikky said:
Anyone know the what the course is like?
If you've never been down there, you usually take two chairs to the top. For the first race they are only running the lower chair, I assume because of snow or bad conditions in the upper bowl.
The upper part of the course starts in tech single track then drops into the upper bowl which is super-fast old double track with a few single track sections thrown in. Its pretty cool to be able to watch the riders ahead of you go blazing down the upper bowl as you wait your turn.
Once you get to the gravel road between the chairs (basically where we will be starting the first race) you will be mostly in trees on single track with cool features then out in the open for super fast finish.
Even in the woods the trail is pretty fast.
Times should be in the 3+ minute range. When we run the full course, it is 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 depending on how fast you are (read fit and or crazy).
I should also mention that the OR boys mentioned the possiblity of a new uper part of the course coming down the east(?) side of the bowl that will be all singletrack. They didn't promise, but they are real hopeful. If this happens and your not traveling at the break-neck speeds the upper bowl provides you with, times will probably go up! :dead:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Trailhacker gave a great description of the LAST and previous years upper course... I heard from the hood boys at spokane that there is a NEW pro/expert course from the top, sorta where the beginner course took off. From what they said it should replace all that old bommer road. I think hood is shapng up well. Norba, New course, Sat/Sunday races (not all but some).... and its hell of alot closer for me than Spokanastan.....

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
fattyfat1 said:
why would they hold the first race of the season on mommy's day? don't you people have moms wives w/children. thats retarded!
Yes, I have a mother :rolleyes: but I show her how much she means to me all the time, not one day a year when the calendar tells me to.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
66 said:
so is this race

or real DH? you folks running the 5x5s or full DH bikes?

if DH (cause i won't go for enduro D stuff) what bike setup?
thats old news. New race info is 3 runs real DH bike worthy on the lower section. Leave the XC bike at home.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
oly said:
Trailhacker gave a great description of the LAST and previous years upper course... I heard from the hood boys at spokane that there is a NEW pro/expert course from the top, sorta where the beginner course took off. From what they said it should replace all that old bommer road. I think hood is shapng up well. Norba, New course, Sat/Sunday races (not all but some).... and its hell of alot closer for me than Spokanastan.....
And the race director Petr has a really fun accent, cusses in a foreign language under his breath, and says things like "wat zee ell iz wrung wiz all you peeple," a lot. In all seriousness, I'm stoked to see Petr brought it back to NORBA and is taking over the state series again. Dreillings pretty pissed about it, but OBRA wasn't doing there part to put on a decent State Championship series. You had to buy two licenses to race in washington and Oregon, your series finishes wouldn't count to qualify for the National Championship race, and OBRA's serive was crap. Officials showing up to races an hour late with supplies and then being cocky about it (remember that hood race kevin??), not sending the swag in time for an event, and on and on. I'm glad to see Petr is stepping it up again. I just wish I could race this year!!! :think:

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
So is this gonna be Hood like the good ole days? with Petrs Cakes running the show and Hurricane bike shop renting out foes bikes? And whats all this about sat/sun racing? That sounds really cool. If you have a bad race day, you would have the very next day to make up for it.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
two1 said:
So is this gonna be Hood like the good ole days? with Petrs Cakes running the show and Hurricane bike shop renting out foes bikes? And whats all this about sat/sun racing? That sounds really cool. If you have a bad race day, you would have the very next day to make up for it.

I'm in. see you folks there.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
two1 said:
Petr and Hurricane will indeed be running the show. The reference to sat/sun racing is that all of the races used to be practice friday, racing on saturday. This season, some of the races are going to be practice saturday, racing Sunday.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
I definantly liked the the sat. races, but they gotta bring back slalom for the sat. evening sesh!

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
I wont be able to make it. PA is gonna be my first race, but will someone tell Daryl Young he needs to come up and race PA, as I'm sure he'll be in hood, thanks

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
two1 said:
I wont be able to make it. PA is gonna be my first race, but will someone tell Daryl Young he needs to come up and race PA, as I'm sure he'll be in hood, thanks
I'll have Kevin talk to him. Daryl is hella fast :cool:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Hey Oly, and all you guys, I'm thinking of heading up. Maybe I'll actually get serious this year and race the whole series.
So I guess we're only running the lower woods section? So the heavy duty flat-proof tires to combat the Cannonball pinch-flats won't be needed.

Hmmm, what class should I enter?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
TWISTED said:
Hey Oly, and all you guys, I'm thinking of heading up. Maybe I'll actually get serious this year and race the whole series.
So I guess we're only running the lower woods section? So the heavy duty flat-proof tires to combat the Cannonball pinch-flats won't be needed.

Hmmm, what class should I enter?
Im missing this one, mothers day and all, but ill be at most the others.

From riding with you at hood last summer.... your fast! You could probably hold your own in expert, plus the experts get the full on crazy trail.....

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
aha! oly has a mother/wife/kids too! i knew i was'nt the only one! i want to ride w/friends who are racing sunday, who knows if i can w/out paying entry fee, just lift price+insurance. this is for saturday practice 12-4. somebody's gotta know. word on the street is they are hurting for $ so i probably can, and it's not that strict. also, they are allowing people to pay entry fee sun. morning. as long as my lift pass does'nt have to be my numberplate, i'm golden right? p.s. good for you oly, lovin your peeps and such! i should probably do the same as you but as usual, try to cram it all in one weekend............

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Tdubb said:
Does anyone know if you can camp close.Ashland broke my piggy bank.
Car camping is allowed in the parking lot, and they usually look the other way if you want to throw a tent up at one of the far ends of the parking lot off in the bushes. Lots of people do this at every race. Just as long as no one gets rowdy or sets anything on fire their pretty relaxed.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
fattyfat1 said:
aha! oly has a mother/wife/kids too! i knew i was'nt the only one! i want to ride w/friends who are racing sunday, who knows if i can w/out paying entry fee, just lift price+insurance. this is for saturday practice 12-4. somebody's gotta know. word on the street is they are hurting for $ so i probably can, and it's not that strict. also, they are allowing people to pay entry fee sun. morning. as long as my lift pass does'nt have to be my numberplate, i'm golden right? p.s. good for you oly, lovin your peeps and such! i should probably do the same as you but as usual, try to cram it all in one weekend............
You can purchase a day pass to ride any time the lifts are open, even during race days.

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
thanx for makin' my day dhdiva! u da greatest!! my wife/mommy/mommyinlaw will be so happy! i'll be driving alot but thats otay!