Quantcast

Mt Tam

holyrider

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
I was hoping to get some info on riding on Mt.Tam. Never been there, but hear it is cool. wanting to try it out this weekend. any info would be helpful. thanks.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
it's hot and up.

If you want to do the summit thing, the best way I've found is up Eldridge Grade from Phoenix Lake (at Mary Graves Park - i think) in Kentfield/San Anselmo. Never, ever, waste your day on Railroad Grade (imho).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've said this before, but if you've never done it, a ride up Railroad to the peak is a good gradual grinder with great views, not a waste of time...my opinion anyway. If you want a mixed loop that is longer than just going up and down Tam, park in Mill Valley and ride up Railroad to the East Peak, then go back down to West Point and take the other fire road (Indian Fire? Old Stage? Can't remember) down to the Pantoll Station, jump across the road and take the new legal singletrack down to Route 1, then drop down on the road to the Pelican Inn for a few beers before dragging your ass up Middle Green Gulch and dropping back down into Mill Valley. None of the legal riding out there is very technical but there are challenging climbs, the new singletrack is a fun swoopy descent, and the views are ridiculously killer if it's not foggy.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The nice thing about Railroad (going up) is the sense of a group ride. Unless you can glue yourself to someone's wheel, you can ride 3 abreast heading up.

EDIT: I should point out that I haven't ridden there since I wrote that review. I rather go to Tamarancho than Tam. But if you have never been there before, I think it is a must.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Search the web. Tamarancho is a boy scout camp outside Fairfax, great legal singletrack on private land (owned by the boy scouts). Buy a day pass and rock it.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just rode Eldridge grade. Great way to get lost w/o a map or local knowledge.

It was fun on a rented Trance, but not tech at all.