Quantcast

Mt. Wilson

jonahrei

Chimp
Apr 17, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I'm driving down from the Bay area this weekend and have heard alot of good things about this trail. Is there anyone that could possibley help us figure out what trails to ride. I heard that its a shuttle? Is this a trail for a my DH bike or my Heckler? If anyone wants to join me and a few friends for a ride this coming saturday, let me know. We have no clue on what to expect. Thanks!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
jonahrei said:
I'm driving down from the Bay area this weekend and have heard alot of good things about this trail. Is there anyone that could possibley help us figure out what trails to ride. I heard that its a shuttle? Is this a trail for a my DH bike or my Heckler? If anyone wants to join me and a few friends for a ride this coming saturday, let me know. We have no clue on what to expect. Thanks!
To be honest, there's a lot of hiking involved. You'll want to make sure you bring a lot of water and make sure someone knows where they're going; it's easy to get lost in those hills. If you're looking for some fun DH trails, send me a PM, and I'll set you up...

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
The Mt Wilson Toll Road is about 9 miles long and about 4500 feet of climbing, not a very easy ride.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ummm, it's shuttleable with some minor climbing, considering the overall descent, and it's a MUCH better trail for your Heckler than it is for your Dh bike. There's no reason whatsover to ride a DH bike there unless it's the only bike you have. It's a TRAILRIDE, and not even a very technical one, and on a heavily-used multi-use trail to boot.

The ride up IS really burly, but I'm sure it's quite an accomplishment to do.

MD

webb

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
echo park
blt2ride said:
it's easy to get lost in those hills.
I managed to do that when I was riding with eight other people who knew where we were going. it's pretty easy to get lost, with long ride out consequences. I wouldn't recommend it without a guide. if you're looking to ride sunday, the skyline ride (http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123106) might be a better way to go.

but... wilson is definitely a heckler ride. just ask xenon66.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Oh yeah! A couple of my friends were almost forced to sleep there. They got so lost it was like 10 p.m. when they found their way to a road they could ride back to their car...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
There are many routes to take when riding Wilson. If you are shuttling you can do a ride that is from 10 - 15+ miles. The amount of uphill depends on the route you take. If you do El Prieto you are in for some pushing. I have a nice little route that I take that will give you 10 miles of riding with appx 2 miles of uphill, most of which is pretty easy. Like MD said, it's really more of a trailride rather than a full on downhill run where 8 inches of travel is required. You can ride your big bike but it's like riding a couch. I ride my 6 inch travel Cove with a Super T up front. I have more fun on my hardtail though. Also since it's a multi use trail you have to really watch out for hikers. So far I haven't had any bad incidents with hikers. If you can, please wear a bell on your bike.

I would ride with you saturday but have a previous meeting to attend to. Skyline may indeed be a better ride for you this weekend. It's all downhill, and short so you can do many runs. And there is In N Out afterwards! But if you really want to shuttle Wilson and you promise to be nice to the hikers, PM me and I will send you a map and some directions that will get you down to the bottom.

jonahrei

Chimp
Apr 17, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Ok, I'm gonna decide soon on what we're gonna do then. Has anyone ridden the San Juan Capistrano Trail? I'm curious if I should just go ride over there, I just got back from Whistler and want to ride something kind of long and fun. I'm gonna bring my Heckler and that's it.

IMALLSLO

Chimp
May 28, 2002
Alhambra,Ca
BSEVEER said:
The Mt Wilson Toll Road is about 9 miles long and about 4500 feet of climbing, not a very easy ride.
Actually the Mt. Wilson Toll road is closed at the very bottom due to this
from this past season of rain. It makes it not shuttleable nor climbable as this is the beginning or the end depending on which way your going. Two buddies of mine did a dusk shuttle and wound up having to hike back up to the towers. Its a long 9 mile and 4500 ft. hike back up to the top. Unkown when this will be cleared out.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jonahrei said:
Ok, I'm gonna decide soon on what we're gonna do then. Has anyone ridden the San Juan Capistrano Trail? I'm curious if I should just go ride over there, I just got back from Whistler and want to ride something kind of long and fun. I'm gonna bring my Heckler and that's it.

I think you mean the San Juan trail. It's near San Juan Capistrano...

Anyhow, it's a great trail. I wouldn't recommend shuttling it, because it's trashed and seriously overgrown at the top, unless some OC people or groups have done some trail maintenance recently. And it's super-exposed to the sun and a nice climb to boot, so choose your time of day for the climb wisely in the summer.

Just head up from the bottom trailhead, up the switchbacks and on to the traverse (then to more spaced-out switchbacks) until you 1) don't want to climb anymore and turn around 2) hit "cocktail rock", an obvious rock formation on the right which seems like a good place to rest and turn around or 3) hit eroded, overgrown stuff and want to turn around (or just ride through it until you hit the top trailhead...)

MD

BSEVEER

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
SoCal
IMALLSLO said:
Actually the Mt. Wilson Toll road is closed at the very bottom due to this
from this past season of rain. It makes it not shuttleable nor climbable as this is the beginning or the end depending on which way your going. Two buddies of mine did a dusk shuttle and wound up having to hike back up to the towers. Its a long 9 mile and 4500 ft. hike back up to the top. Unkown when this will be cleared out.

I forgot about that slide. Isn't there a trail that that joins the toll road that starts right there in Eaton Canyon? I think I remember people using it when there was another slide 5 or so years ago.

jonahrei

Chimp
Apr 17, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Thanks everyone. I ended up going to San Juan to shuttle and my friend I was riding with decided to break his pinky sideways w/ in the first mile :(. I'll be back down there to ride before september hopefully.