Quantcast

MTB pulled me back in...

BackToMTB

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
Hey, I'm new, just thought I'd say hi :)

I used to be into biking a lot, riding hard 20-30mi a day through the American River parkway, Upper and Lower Bidwell Parks in Chico, along the Sacramento river, a trip to Northstar in Tahoe, etc... My bike of choice was a modest Specialized Rockhopper A1-FS, two of which were stolen from me. The last one to go wasn't replaced until now, around 4 years later. Since my girl & I just bought a house, money is tight, so I just got a used older Rockhopper from a private party...it was about all I could afford for something decent. There’s no front (or rear) suspension, the components suck, it’s heavier than my other bikes, blah blah blah, but I could buy it & feel happy about the purchase… The fireroads and single tracks have been calling my name! Seeing a race course set up in Yreka, living in Auburn for a short time and seeing all the local trails, and now being back by the American River parkway has been making me hungry to hit the dirt again!! I'm out of shape, soft, and I know I'll be hurtin' when I hit the single tracks again! Any tips for someone like me, other than just getting out there like I have every intention of doing?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
don't think that the bike you have can't take you far. don't think you need the latest and greatest or most expensive part to be a better rider.

have fun.

BackToMTB

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
thanks guys... I think I have a lot of reading to do to catch up on good brands for components and whatnot, so I'll be prepared when I can actually afford to start replacing stuff! For now, I just need to figure out how to hit the trails w/out my girl being jealous of the time I won't be spending w/ her... we'll probably need to get her a bike too... I hope she can keep up :P

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
if you get your girl a bike, make sure you don't leave her in the dust. find some other females that ride so she has someone to compete with. the more she enjoys it the more she will want to do it.

I pretty much ride like a girl, maybe she wants to come ride with me. :)haha

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
i have an old rockhopper to. mine is a 95 crommoly. the bike is pretty mich indestructable. the biggest difference i have noticed is when i replace all of the cables and converted from cantilevers to Avid arch rivels with SD-7 levers. i am getting a set of ritchey pro rims next week hopefully (the UMD bike club has a sponchership and we get great deals on parts) i will post on how much i notice going to new rims.
oh start pulling the bike appart and regreasing everything. it makes a work of difference in the feel.