Quantcast

Mtn Bike Packback Camping - Tahoe Rim Trail

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
I wanted to post this because Mtn Bike Backpack Camping is going to be the new rage with bikes and I haven’t seen it covered here on the RM yet – I’m sure it is going to catch on throughout the world just like building hamster stunts on trails, or the come back of dh racing and it might even become as radical as DJs in the city while listening to Rise Against and will soon be covered by Decline and mastered by Mark Weir.

Anyway… So this past weekend Amy and I went out for the trip we’ve been talking about for a couple months now - and we didn’t have to go any further than the mountains up behind our house here in South Lake. The intent was to pack our overnight gear as light as we could and get on our bikes and pedal the Rim Trail from Heavenly Stagecoach Lodge to Star Lake, spend the night there and then continue on to summit Freel Peak then to Armstong Trail to Corral Trail to Trout Creek Trail and then finally pedal back to our house here in town. And maybe to pass a few backpacking hikers along the way to make them jealous of how much more ground we can cover while having more fun!

We usually do this ride or variations of it as a day ride when it's fast and flowy - but it’s a different story with 30 pounds of gear on your back swaying back and forth over anything tech in the trail. The biggest difference was riding much slower than normal: If I would normally be pushing my big chainring I was in my middle – If I would normally be pushing my middle I was in my small – If normally climbing in my small chainring I was walking for sure.

Rough stats from the gps were: 5,200 ft of accent – 6,100 ft of decent – 30 miles. Here are some pics:

Amy pedaling out of Killebrew Canyon with Carson Valley 3000 feet below

Heading West below Monument Peak on the Rim Trail

Amy riding past the big tree with Freel Peak and the rest of the ride looming ahead

One of the many reasons the Nomad is so badass

Our camp at Star Lake

Fresh dinner

Sunset from camp

Leaving Star Lake in the morning

Climbing up to the Freel Peak summit trail

On top of Freel Peak with South Lake Tahoe below - 10,880ft

Pedaling away from Freel Peak towards Armstrong Pass

Coming down towards Armstrong Pass

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My wife and I have long discussed such a trip. This convinces me when she gets back from Afghanistan that this is a go for next season. Good pics!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I expect to see you up there next time - start of your training for Denali.
I'm mad that you didn't invite me in the first place.

If I had known, I would have skipped my long weekend in Downieville. All I did there was drink and ride.

pepsiqueen

Chimp
Oct 2, 2008
seattle
I have been looking into trying something like this. I just moved from east coast to west coast though so I am still looking for the right trail around here.

Topeak is even making a tent that is specifically for stuff like this, no tent poles (saves weight) you take the front tire off your bike, and use it to support one end of the tent, while your frame/handlebars support the other end. Not sure if its worth the price, as I already have ultralite backpacking equipment, but i'd like to hear from anyone who has bought one.

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
I have been looking into trying something like this. I just moved from east coast to west coast though so I am still looking for the right trail around here.

Topeak is even making a tent that is specifically for stuff like this, no tent poles (saves weight) you take the front tire off your bike, and use it to support one end of the tent, while your frame/handlebars support the other end. Not sure if its worth the price, as I already have ultralite backpacking equipment, but i'd like to hear from anyone who has bought one.
We just tried to pack as light as possible but it's still a lot of weight on the back. Was looking to get some sort of panier rack to hang off the seat tube and hold the tent and sleeping bag there, then just ride with a normal camleback... I'd like to check out that tent you mention too.
Looks like snow in the forecast here above 7000' so our days are limited here for the camping riding. You should get out and let us know how it goes...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

I have seen that tent, and it is pretty cool for an ultralite. I am not sure if saving 400 grams on poles is that important.

Having ridden the Kokopelli Trail unsupported (no tent) and from Seattle to SF (Sierra Designs top bivy sack), I think tents are not so important in the dry climates, particularly if you go in the summer.

I would first bring a suspension pump and adjust your air pressure based on your added weight (and lower it when you are riding without packs).

A Bob Trailer is also very helpful, and I know of a rider who has ridden the entire Downieville Downhill pulling one (he did win the Downhill one year).

benjaminj

mr. amy
Mar 21, 2007
so. tahoe
I think tents are not so important in the dry climates, particularly if you go in the summer.
I would first bring a suspension pump and adjust your air pressure based on your added weight (and lower it when you are riding without packs).
A Bob Trailer is also very helpful, and I know of a rider who has ridden the entire Downieville Downhill pulling one (he did win the Downhill one year).
Yeah a tent isn't necessary most the time around here when it really doesn't rain or anything. But generally our backpacking tent is small enough it's not a bother. The big thing is sleeping bags. Amy used a Mont Bell which is about the size of a Subway grinder and only 2 lbs! Bob trailer would not be fun... not on the Rim Trail anyway.
Totally agree with the suspension, I should have pumped up more, bike was shifting funky and riding odd with too much sag.