Quantcast

MtnBikerChk, Baboon, aspiring mechanics

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
MtnBikerChk & Baboon - this is for everyone, but I know you two were heading to the LBS for some mechanic instruction, so I figured you would be most interested. If you head over to www.MTBJournal.com, they are giving away a copy of the "Break It, Fix It, Ride It" software that tells you all you need to know about fixing your bike. You've got to tell them your worst mechanical moment, so there is risk of embarrassing yourself, but anything for free swag right?:D

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Can't find the software on the website. Can somebody take my hand and guide me to it? Please? :crying: :help:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Click this link. When you go to the homepage of the site, the right hand column has the older items that have been moved off the front page as newer items are added. Like my Unlawful column (plug. plug.)

Originally posted by riderx
Click this link. When you go to the homepage of the site, the right hand column has the older items that have been moved off the front page as newer items are added. Like my Unlawful column (plug. plug.)
Short and to the point. In the absence of effective sealing, disassembly and cleaning prior to relubrication would seem to be a better plan that trying to get grit, A.K.A. bearing killer, out with solvent...

J

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters

Short and to the point. In the absence of effective sealing, disassembly and cleaning prior to relubrication would seem to be a better plan that trying to get grit, A.K.A. bearing killer, out with solvent...

J
I agree with you john, if it were a viable option. But, have you ever tried to disassemble a BMX freewheel? It's not intended to be done. I've heard about people doing it and it sounds like it's not worth the effort - especially for the cost of a new freewheel. I can only imagine cleaning the pawls and spings in that thing and putting it all back together. Soaking and aggitating in solvent actually removes a ton of the grit that gets in there, the real problem is it gets recontaminated on the first ride. At this point, it's live with the problem or buy an SS cassette hub.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks!!!

Originally posted by riderx