Quantcast

MTX 29 = mavic 721 ?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Looking for a light DH race wheel for the upcoming season. Racing on the east coast. Found a good price on the MTX 29, but can't find any reviews.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
I've been riding some MTX29 32 holes welded for 2 seasons at Bromont. I got some minor dings on the back but i plan on keeping them for a third season. I'm weight about 165 geared up and run about 32 psi.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I find the MTX rims are softer than the 721s. They dent easier, but stay truer on harder hits. The 721s don't dent too badly (but they will eventually) but can get knocked out. Also, eventually they crack, due to being harder. That said, the ones I have seen crack just sort of crack, and are ok with it. kind of like loosening your belt after thanksgiving dinner I guess.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
This is an interesting comparison because when the new MTX series came out a few years ago I saw the same similarities. Both rims were in the 570 to 590g weight category AND had similiar inner widths.

To be specific:

MTX 29:
6061 T6
Inner Width: 22.5mm
Weight (Claimed): 570g

721:
Mavic Maxtal proprietary aluminum (most likely 7000 series heat treated - can't remember exactly)
Inner Width: 21mm
Weight: (Claimed): 590g Tested (Sicklines): 577 to 579g

The original MTX rims from around 05' - 06' were beasts and had brake tracks for cantilever brakes. Claimed weight was 640g but mine, which I have on a practice wheelset which I use to this day (front) weighed in at a stout 686g.

I currently have an MTX33 on the rear of my practice set and compared to the older gen MTX's they seemed to dent a bit more easily. I have noticed small dents/deformations after only 3 or 4 rides over extremely smooth terrain with few rocks. It wouldn't be accurate to translate this behavior to an MTX29, but I would estimate that the 29 has slightly softer metal than the 721. The 721 that I had on the rear of my race set lasted 3 seasons and received many dents which deformed the rim lip, but the tire still held the bead. The process of denting the rim took longer than with the MTX33, but I was doing some pretty stupid things with my bike back then. Also of particular note: The rim lips on the MTX series are taller than those on the 721's. (measured from the inside rim bed upward toward the outer edge of the rim)

I race "semi-hack" after moving up from "suck" and weigh about 172lbs. with armor and helmet.

Last edited: