Quantcast

Muddy Buddy ‘06

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
OK… have you stopped giggling yet? Leave the juvenile comments out of this thread…

A co-worker of mine told me of this race where a two person team run, bike and complete a series of obstacles. Asked if I was interested and I said ‘sure’. Told my wife about it and she wanted to do it too. So my roommate teamed up with my co-worker, and my wife and I teamed up.

The race happens all across the country; it is called “Muddy Buddy”. http://www.muddybuddy.com/ Each team has one bike. There is an obstacle at each mile (although some sections seemed shorter than others…). After completing the obstacle, the biker starts running and the runner finds the bike and starts biking. This goes on until you come to the end, where each team has to crawl through a long mud pit together. Ours was more freezing cold dirty water… but it was still fun

The first obstacle was a balance beam. Second was cargo net up and over a railing (all of about 6’ tall), third was a low wall (I was almost able to jump right over it w/out touching it), fourth was a cargo net up a big inflatable slide, and the last… well that’s the mud pit.

Afterwards there are “showers” (hoses hooked to a fire hydrant) and then the beer tent!

Apparently some people dress up in costume, and it’s not just because LA’s was right before Halloween – they do it at other ones earlier in the year too.

I highly suggest that anyone who is interested do it. The obstacles are VERY easy, the runs are next to nothing, and the biking was simple. I was amazed at how most people were walking the simplest stuff!

We did it just for fun this year, but next year my roommate and I are going to enter it to win it… and I think we have a VERY good chance! Anyway – picture time

Pre-race:
Wife and I

Roommate and Co-worker

All of us:

2000 participants:

These two were, well you know…

Goofing around before the race:

She’s the runner, I’m the biker – whatever you start off doing you do more of… so I started biking:

But she does like biking:

Didn’t get any shots at the first obstacle because I was running to the next one… however my wife couldn’t find the bike after the first one so I had plenty of time at the second one.

Second obstacle – Cargo Net:

Even the big boys came out to play:

She actually smelled pretty good:

To show the total lack of bike skills… lots of walking going on here:

At this point the cheapo disposable camera we had ran out of pictures… but had the digital waiting for me at the end of the race – so time to skip to the end:

I feel like such a stud:

Wait… why is my wife leaning into him like that:

After a shower it was off to the beer garden, which was strategically positioned next to the mud pit…

These two got boo’s for not getting dirty enough:

These two were great, although we were all cheering for the hare:

Unfortunately it was a staggered start and co-ed teams were in the middle, and we didn’t try real hard – so we did not get a lot of time in the beer garden… so we took the party to a bar:

I highly suggest this for a good fun race...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Some hasher friends of mine were out in force for the LA race. From what I heard, the race was a smokin good time. Thanks again for the report.

Have you done the Mud Run? If not, some friends and I will be out there again for the next "race" held in June.