Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Mission:

Go into the woods
cut tree and make bench from thee
wife happy with me.

OK......was the haiku tie-in a little hokey?

Sorry. :homer: :homer:

Anyways, in keeping with the theme, I thought I'd share the fruits of my labor with you guys. I had this keen idea one day while at the trails. I've been eyeing this particular cedar tree for awhile---good sized, but struck by lightning about a year ago and had the top blown out of it. I had thought "Well...this would make a pretty good source for some trail stuff...treads, maybe a couple of supports or something."

But.....

"On the other hand....I've bought this house, and I've done a lot of work on the yard to get it back into some assembelence of an actual space you would want to be in---- and it could go to some good use there.........."

So, the wheels got to turning and I decided to use it at the house(sorry trails, you know I love you, right?). I concocted this idea after a little research, to do this Kenji-style bench that would serve as a neat little place to sit, but also block that last little drop-off area that young Colin(or a tipsy 'Hound & Co.) might accidentaly fall off of if given the chance.

Anyways...long story short....here is what I've been working on lately. I've got several Alberta Spruce trees that I haven't planted yet that are going to be around the perimeter of it to kind of shield it from the pub-lix, so it's going to be a cool little chill space when young Colin waits for the bus in the coming years.

View with the cedar fence that I built in early July. Lookin' good.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nice work man!

Can you give me a basic run down of the power tools you used to build it?

PS. The wall you built has stuck in my mind for days as I've been wanting to build something similar and I really like what you did.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Nice work man!

Can you give me a basic run down of the power tools you used to build it?

PS. The wall you built has stuck in my mind for days as I've been wanting to build something similar and I really like what you did.

Thanks for all the good words, folks!!! It turned out pretty much like I had envisioned it in my head. As far as power tools go, really the only thing I used is a chainsaw to cut the tree down and rough mill the planks. The rest, I planed down kinda traditional style with a bunch of different block planes that I've had for years. The joinery was done with a Japanese crosscut saw and then chiseled out. I did, however, use a power drill to screw everything together--so I kinda cheated there, too......but this project was really just for my enjoyment, and not really too serious a study in traditional techniques. I just happen to have some of the tools that allowed me to do some of those techniques, so it was kinda fun to see how far I could push 'em. I sanded things down to about 80 grit with various sanding blocks and files. It's finished off with a Chestnut stain, two coats of sealer with a UV protectant, and 3 coats of polyurethane.

Stosh......believe it or not, the wall took way more planning to make sure I got the curve consistent and parallel to the wall that it follows, than the bench did!! :huh:

Again, thanks for the compliments, folks. I had a great time working on both projects and they're a good starting points for future ideas to spring off of.

JDCamb: I'll try to get a side shot up later this evening.

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
Kudos for only using hand tools. Norm Abrams would of needed at least $40,000 worth of power tools to build it.

Thanks for all the good words, folks!!! It turned out pretty much like I had envisioned it in my head. As far as power tools go, really the only thing I used is a chainsaw to cut the tree down and rough mill the planks. The rest, I planed down kinda traditional style with a bunch of different block planes that I've had for years. The joinery was done with a Japanese crosscut saw and then chiseled out. I did, however, use a power drill to screw everything together--so I kinda cheated there, too......but this project was really just for my enjoyment, and not really too serious a study in traditional techniques. I just happen to have some of the tools that allowed me to do some of those techniques, so it was kinda fun to see how far I could push 'em. I sanded things down to about 80 grit with various sanding blocks and files. It's finished off with a Chestnut stain, two coats of sealer with a UV protectant, and 3 coats of polyurethane.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
that is truly amazing. i wish i could do that, but unfortunately im about as skilled with tools as that tree was before you cut it down. definately looks better there than it wouldve as some supports on a trail

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Greyhound... huge props coming from neanderthal... I have seen his shop! he has some killer woodworking equipment!
l
l
\/

Cool..........my area of comcentration in Art School was Wood Design, so I've got a ton of stuff he and I could compare notes on. Glad to know there are a few woodworking monkeys around here. Thanks for the hat tip, brunge!!

Since we are just getting settled into the new(old) house, I've got a partial shop set up for small home improvement stuff, but have yet to get anything concrete set up because I want to get a good ventilation system in place before I do.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, nice work indeed.

I am a sucker for power tools, so I wuss out on stuff like that. There is a guy here at work that has done some cool stuff in his home office.