Quantcast

Multifunction printers

We have been using a HP LaserJet 1320 quite happily for some years. Hilarie just retired, and wants a copier at home. I am therefore reluctantly drawn into the printer/copier/scanner mess.

My specs are something like

Required
  • Laser
  • Duplex
  • Copy
  • At least 600 DPI print
Optional
  • High res scanning, in the 3K DPI range
Don't care/won't use
  • Speed
  • Fax
Do not want/will not buy
  • Color

Looking for recommendations based on experience.

J

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
You neglected to mention budget. For about $20,000 I could recommend a machine that prints @ 35ppm, full duplex, has a paper capacity of around 2500 sheets of 8 1/2 X 11, scans to PDF format, and is network ready.

Just sayin'.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've hated every multi-function machine I've ever had/used that wasn't a giant, expensive business machine.

They always seem to be slightly inadequate at each task.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I've hated every multi-function machine I've ever had/used that wasn't a giant, expensive business machine.

Seeing that I used to fix those things, I have to agree. This is one area that you actually get what you pay for. Paying more for a business class machine may seem bad, but you will reap the rewards in less downtime, and a machine that works better on all fronts.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Ditto. The ones I've seen have all been really cheap, price-point consumer machines that don't work very well.

Lately I've been getting by with my nice brother laser, and a half-decent canon flatbed (for scanning/pdfing... which has replaced faxing imo)

splat

Nam I am
I hate the Multi-functions Pains in the Ass! good forbid you get a Paper Jam some where on teh dam thing.

MY suggestion get a Good USB scanner ( they are not that Much ) and a good laser printer. And they Make apps that will make that a Copier.

I just had to get out my Old Epson FX-1050 dot matrix Printer! need to make a Print 15 inches wide 4 feet long .

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, since you have a laser printer, I might just invest in a decent, high-speed flatbed USB scanner with a document feeder. You can fax through the PC, copy by doing a scan/print, and continue using the printer that you're already happy with.