Quantcast

muscle mass and bone size..

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I don’t think in understand or know the answer to your question but muscle calcifies to bone. Bone mass can also be reduced due to diet, rest and exercise (or lack their of.)

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Yes and No...there are generalizations that can be assumed by the size of your bone structure.Typically people with smaller wrists have a far more difficult time becoming largely muscular. But they also have the easiest time reducing fat to the ripped levels. People with larger wrists size typcially carry around more muscle and fat. There are exceptions but this is typcial. It shows up especially well in bodybuilding.

If you watched bodybuilding you would notice several things...smaller wrists makes smaller but more proportioned body builders. Shawn Ray and Flex wheeler for example have tiny wrists, exceptional proportions and are considered small in bodybuilding (they aren't but have also been doing this for 15+ years). Now check out a larger bodybuilder (jay cutler for example) his wrists are quite a bit larger than the danty Ray and wheeler. He is still proportioned and carrys no fat (much work on his part to beat the genetic pull) but is also signifigantly larger.

I know these generalizations aren't 100% but they give you an idea. My wrists are larger at almost 8inches. I am 6'5 250pnds and thick. Coincidence...I don't believe so :)

Length plays another factor (more obvious in fact). The longer the arm you have the more muscle you need to put onto that arm to make it look big. I live with this constantly as my arms are only 17" but in the same breath my wing span is 79 inches. I have very very long arms. If they were normal length plus I was a normal height my arms would probably be breaking the 19" plus category.

Both of these factors have a cause and effect for muscle size. Genetics plays another role in growth. If you weren't built for muscle you won't get it. Wrist size and bone structure length will help but without the genetics for size...it won't happen :)
Obviously both of these are effected by genetics.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Aha! Now I have a reason for being a weakling, small bones. :)
Originally posted by Roasted
Yes and No...there are generalizations that can be assumed by the size of your bone structure.Typically people with smaller wrists have a far more difficult time becoming largely muscular. But they also have the easiest time reducing fat to the ripped levels. People with larger wrists size typcially carry around more muscle and fat. There are exceptions but this is typcial. It shows up especially well in bodybuilding.

If you watched bodybuilding you would notice several things...smaller wrists makes smaller but more proportioned body builders. Shawn Ray and Flex wheeler for example have tiny wrists, exceptional proportions and are considered small in bodybuilding (they aren't but have also been doing this for 15+ years). Now check out a larger bodybuilder (jay cutler for example) his wrists are quite a bit larger than the danty Ray and wheeler. He is still proportioned and carrys no fat (much work on his part to beat the genetic pull) but is also signifigantly larger.

I know these generalizations aren't 100% but they give you an idea. My wrists are larger at almost 8inches. I am 6'5 250pnds and thick. Coincidence...I don't believe so :)

Length plays another factor (more obvious in fact). The longer the arm you have the more muscle you need to put onto that arm to make it look big. I live with this constantly as my arms are only 17" but in the same breath my wing span is 79 inches. I have very very long arms. If they were normal length plus I was a normal height my arms would probably be breaking the 19" plus category.

Both of these factors have a cause and effect for muscle size. Genetics plays another role in growth. If you weren't built for muscle you won't get it. Wrist size and bone structure length will help but without the genetics for size...it won't happen :)
Obviously both of these are effected by genetics.