Quantcast

My 2009 Geese.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
My 2009 Mongoose Boot’r. The specs are pretty much stock except for sunline v1 bars, sunline direct mount stem, E-13 36 tooth chainring, and an Ultegra road cassette. I’ve gotten 4 rides on it so far and love it, the bike is silent, floats over everything, and jumps really well. The only thing I didn’t like was that it was a little weird in berms the first run but great in flat corners. After a couple runs I figured out the bike and now I love the way it corners. And for all you mongoose haters, 2 goose haters have ridden this bike, both of them now love it and want to get one in the future.

Riding shots.

My 2009 Mongoose Nugget. It’s all stock except for XT cranks, X-O derailleur, and the Funn bars that came with the Boot’r. I’ve only gotten 2 rides on this but it pedals great, corners and jumps well, and feels pretty stable at speeds. I’ve done some light freeride and east coast all mountain and it performed amazingly so I’m happy. Once again, for the goose haters, 3 goose haters have ridden this and so far it’s 3/3 for people loving it.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Umm, if something "unfortunate" should happen to you, can you leave those bikes to me?

Sorry, I had to ask. Your stable is exactly what I would like to have right now. I was a bit of a non-believer until I rode my friend's Khyber, and now I own it. Love the Geese!

mark523

Chimp
Jan 15, 2008
I was one of those goose hater. and i now love these bikes. the boot'r is great, i dont think its the best DH bike ever but its in the top 10. stock you get what you see in the picture for 4000 so that a killer deal. the nugget though is an absolutely amazing and sick bike and my favorite of the 2. Mongoose did it right with the nugget

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
oh I hate the goose but because they're yours I want to rock that cool tool. The goose must be the bestest available cause the cost more than any thing else at walmart. Christ they cost more that the $100+ pacific clone at toys r us. I's got those rad diskys too

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
oh I hate the goose but because they're yours I want to rock that cool tool. The goose must be the bestest available cause the cost more than any thing else at walmart. Christ they cost more that the $100+ pacific clone at toys r us. I's got those rad diskys too
I thought people matured by the time they got senior discounts at the movie theater but apparently I was wrong, very wrong.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
sick rides man. ill be riding an ec-d this year and cant wait! how does the weight of the boot'r compare to your orange?
The lightest the orange got to was 35.6 so there's about a 4 pound difference but I haven't noticed it, the boot'r rides light and pedals better then the orange.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I love the Geese. I used to have a Teocali Comp the year that Goose came back to the high end bikes. I can't remember what year that was. Was it 2005? Anyway, i used to get so much crap from people on the trails and i'd get so many weird looks from them when i'd pass them through rough sections up or down. I would love to own either of those. I like to be a bit different. And you really can't get a better bike for the price. If i wasn't trying to make my DH kona last for a few more seasons, i'd definitely get a Nugget.

I have a buddy that has last year's ECD. He's trying to sell it. I know it'll be super hard to sell. So i might have to be there when he's ready to unload it. :0)

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Your bikes are hot. Question for you--How tall are you and what size nugget is that? Was thinking the nugget might replace my aging blur 4x as my do all bike...wasn't sure I would fit on one tho. I'm fine on the longer of the two blur frames. When you have some time on it, I'm sure many of us would appreciate an in depth review...

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Your bikes are hot. Question for you--How tall are you and what size nugget is that? Was thinking the nugget might replace my aging blur 4x as my do all bike...wasn't sure I would fit on one tho. I'm fine on the longer of the two blur frames. When you have some time on it, I'm sure many of us would appreciate an in depth review...
I'm 6'2", thought I was 6'1" but I just got back from the doctor and I'm taller then I thought. I ride a L/M Nugget and it fits me will. I can give a small review now. It pedals really well, jumps like a dirt jumper, corners like a sunday even with the POS kenda's it comes with, and it feels pretty stable at speed and over rocks. I like it. More in a couple weeks, we just got 15 inches of snow today, **** my life.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I've had more time on the boot'r but not much more on the nugget. The only problem I've run into is that one of the pivot bolts was a little loose. It corners really well...

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
I just got my Nugget built up a few days ago.

Its a pretty slick little rig. I'm 5'11" and rockin the small...from a frame standpoint I thought the 21.5" top tube would be way too small when it came in (I have a proto one...I think).

With my stupid short SIC stem on there, it actually feels pretty similar to my steel hardtail only a little bit squishier and maybe 2-3 lbs heavier (33-34ish...feels light though).

I also have Gravity cranks on there...and nothing particularly light. It'll pretty much be the Highland jump-slaying rig.

Daz

Chimp
Mar 5, 2008
The reason the Nugget is a bit chunky is because guys like Andrew Cho were taking ECX's off the last drop in the Boneyard at Whistler (17 footer) and occasionally coming up short. So a bike that could hold up to slopestyle while still being relevant for MTX/slalom was needed. The ECX's didn't fold in two but the down tube did get dented in. The Nugget can take the f-ups and come back for more. That said, if you choose the parts judiciously I'm certain they can go under the 30 lb mark for MTX/slalom racing.

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I did a little mod on the Boot'r today. I wasn't a big fan of the separated shifter cable so I drilled out the gussets and through some full cable on, now the east coast mud can't get me...it'll find a way though.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Hey I'm after a favour, can the guys riding the Nugget give me some real world geo measurements and a bit of an update on 'em please! Bit of a pain but can I get BB height and head angle of the bike with the forks at about 120mm if possible please, sorry for being awkward! Also if anyone is riding a small can I get the downtube measurement along the bottom of tube from the centre of headtube to centre of BB and also the head tube height, cheers!

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
I'd be intrested in the geo of the boot'r.. can you measure yours out?
wheelbase, chainstay, bb-height, toptube from center of headtube to center of seattube..so I can compare it to my bike and see if it'd fit me!
the numbers on their site seemed a bit wired to me!

what size do you ride?

any long time problems meanwhile? clapped out pivots, cracks, ..

any support- experiences with mongoose?

thanks

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I'll do some measuring soon, right now both bikes are torn apart, east coast mud is intense.
Timo12, the numbers are a bit weird, it rides great though. I ride a Large and I'm 6'2".
So far I have haven't had a single problem. I've been riding it for 4 months and nothing has gone with the frame or components. I've done a number on the Sun wheels a couple times but nothing a little truing couldn't fix.
I ride for Mongoose so I'm biased on the support part but from what I've heard it's great even if you don't ride for them.

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I think the proper term for your stable is Mongi, sounds better than geese.

I People need to ease up on GT and Mongoose, they have a bad rep for their wal mart sales, but the real mountain bikes are nothing to be messed with.

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
where are the measurements..?! would be nice if you can post the wheelbase, chainstay lenght, bb height, toptube and standover! if you able to measure the headangle please post it!

thanks

:)

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Wheelbase on my large was 44.8 inches, chainstay is 17.5, never measured my bb height before I got my custom geo but I think it was a little under 14 inches, top tube is 24 inches, standover is 30 inches, and the HA was 65.5 degree's.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Wheelbase on my large was 44.8 inches, chainstay is 17.5, never measured my bb height before I got my custom geo but I think it was a little under 14 inches, top tube is 24 inches, standover is 30 inches, and the HA was 65.5 degree's.
custom BB geo? what do you mean?