Quantcast

My Birthday Present - Pics galore..56k slaughter!

VPFreerider

Chimp
Jan 5, 2006
For my birthday this year, I wanted something different than I had ever received from my wife...not clothes, not bike parts, not tools...

I wanted a Birthday Jump :) I worked alone on this so it took me working on it for at least 2-3 hours every night last week to finish. Please come along for the journey of the construction of my very first Birthday Jump :D

I have to give Tim (opjones) MAJOR props for all of his tips and for the original design for the jump. Couldn't have done it without ya bro! :)

Dimensions: The lip is 4ft wide and 5ft tall with a 9ft radius. The landing (before I had to bury the posts) was 8ft wide and 5ft tall with 9 feet of ply to touch down on and is STEEEEEP

Lip is all framed up! (Note the bracing on the side was only temporary)

Now it's time to start the landing

The lander is all framed up...I'm standing behind it for size reference :) This friggin thing weighs a TON!!! 8)

Now for the finished product in its permanent home because its too heavy to move haha :twisted: It ended up being a stepdown (had to bury lander posts 6-8" because of the slope of the hill its on). I can move the lip further away but was having too much fun hitting it to stop :) I can also get going MUCH faster than in the vids but didn't to move lip as stated above. I love how steep the lander is..feels way more like a DJ than a box jump.

Now for the good part...action shots!! I apologize that they are blury but the conditions weren't exactly agreeing with my digital camera. Here are a couple pics and videos from the evening :)

Here are the vids:
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/AnnArborDJer/Wooden Jump/?action=view&current=100_4200.flv
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/AnnArborDJer/Wooden Jump/?action=view&current=100_4199.flv
http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/AnnArborDJer/Wooden Jump/?action=view&current=100_4198.flv

VPFreerider

Chimp
Jan 5, 2006
Thanks! :)

As I metioned in the post (it was huge so it's easy to miss haha) the reason they aren't further apart is I was having too much fun hitting it to stop and move it but I can easily move it another 2+ feet away from the lander with the amount of speed I can build since the run-in is a hill :)

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yea, the run in is pretty much perfect. you dont even need to pedal. i did read your post, i just wanted to give your words of encouragement - you can deff hit a gap twice the size you're ready ;)

VPFreerider

Chimp
Jan 5, 2006
yea, the run in is pretty much perfect. you dont even need to pedal. i did read your post, i just wanted to give your words of encouragement - you can deff hit a gap twice the size you're ready ;)
right on :) I'll be sure to post more pictures and videos once I get some more experience on it and sac up and move the lip back a few more feet :D

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
looks like you should tweak the transition from dirt to wood, seems like you get whipped pretty fast, might be slightly easier to hit if you made the begining radius alittle bigger

just a thought, i hope to build something similar soon, but with a mound of dirt for a lander...and i'll hve to pedal for speed! nice hill!

jking09

Chimp
Jan 2, 2009
Fayetteville
i was scrolling through the photos waiting for some areal shots of you hitting it and i wasn't disappointed. :)
that looks like serious fun, man.
i bet the wife wishes a big gust of wind would magically come along and blow that thing away sometimes, eh? ;)
good job, and happy birthday!

el_chupo_

Chimp
Sep 25, 2007
Put some signs up or something, go talk to the neighborhood parents, whatever. Some kid sees you on it and tries it, hurts themselves, parents are gonna sue you.

Looks very nice.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Werd.... if they get hurt on his property then the dude is not liable because the kids will be Trespassing....

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
word, me too, that jumps look nothing like the SPINES @ the skate park.... lol

Looks like an actual jumps, i'd tap that!

VPFreerider

Chimp
Jan 5, 2006
Thanks guys :-) No recent pictures since we've been burried in snow since november (Michigan blows..)

Even if the kid tresspasses, I'd still be fubar'd because of the attractive nuisance law. Basically even if I had 10ft fences all the way around my yard with no tresspassing signs and a kid broke in and wrecked himself, I'd still be screwed. Isn't our judicial system great? That's part of the reason for the deck I added and the lip not being super far away. And its quite a bit more intimidating in person that it in pictures which helps.

And my wife actually thinks its great! and the neighbor's love watching me hit it as well. Never thought that would happen but I sure am glad it did :)