Quantcast

My Blindside build what ya think...

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Hey whats up guys, little late in the season but I just ordered all my parts and am doing a Transition Blindside I had a 08 Blindside but had to sell it when I tore up my ankle and knee and was out for 14 months.. Anyway I had surgery, rehab and I feel better so I got another Blindside a 09 and will hit as many race's as I can before the year is over... So I have been out fo the scene for 14 months just wanted to get a opinion on how the build looks. Thanks guys

09 Transition Blindside w/ Fox DHX
Hadley Hubs
w/ Mavic 721 rims
Avid Codes
Thompson Elite Seat Post
MRP G2
Saints Cranks
Answer Pro Taper Bar 31.8 2” rise Black
Straight line Direct Mount Boxxer Stem-
Sram X0 rear trigger shifter $
Sram X0 Short. Cage rear Der. $
Cassette Sram PG-970 DH 11-26t (DH)
Chain Sram PC
Straight line Pedal
FSA Headset

Last edited:

sisstutom

Chimp
Sep 21, 2009
Cheers!
Valikie
Out of the many posts, this one attract my attention. I believe it is possible for anyone to participate.
Excellent ! I like it very much.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I think....DirtyMike will love it:thumb:
Ha, what the hell!!!!!!!

For the OP, Welcome back to riding, always seems like such a long journey coming back from a major injury. Good to hear your all healed up and ready to ride....

I do like it, sounds like a great build. Only thing I would really change would be the headset to either an fsa or a cane creek, other than that, it loos like a great build, cant wait to see pics.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Thanks guys, on the headset Mike is the Chris King not that good I was debating on which one and I thought the chris king was a really good headset like I said have been out for a bit but has there been probs with them.. I also went with it cause I got a stupid cheap deal on it no way I was paying $250 for a headset got ot for 100 bucks.

Yeah injury sucks I am still not 100% but I just want to get out there I miss riding bigtime you know.. Something about ankle injury and knee they just straight out SUCK bro actually been trying to find a good brace for the ankle that is not to bulky any suggestions maybe I will post on that I looked at the 661 maybe go there... But yeah I will post some pics thanks again guys glad I am back...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah Im still in PT for the knee myself, but I was cleared to ride pretty quickly.

Look up Chris king creak. DaveP, UDI, Myself all listed alot of reasons why the Chris King ws just flat out an inferior headset. They just come loose and creak almost every time.

Here comes the CK debate!!!

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yeah Im still in PT for the knee myself, but I was cleared to ride pretty quickly.

Look up Chris king creak. DaveP, UDI, Myself all lisyted alot of reasons why the Chris King ws just flat out an inferior headset. They just come loose and creak almost every time.

Here comes the CK debate!!!
Fail.

Oh and gordster.....:picsstfu:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Good list of parts, you should put them on a better frame. Seriously, the blindside has it's place in the market, which is as the cheapest frame you can buy. It gets the job done, and is great for people getting into a dh bike on the cheap. Your build kit has a lot of money in it, you would be much better served skimping on a few of the shiny parts and getting a better frame. Just the difference in price between the boxxer wc and team will save almost enough to bump you up into some much better frames. Supreme DH, 951, and V10 would be at the top of my list. I rode and race the blindside for a year, I'm not just making this stuff up. Or, wait for the TR450, which is a huge improvement over the blindside.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Good list of parts, you should put them on a better frame. Seriously, the blindside has it's place in the market, which is as the cheapest frame you can buy. It gets the job done, and is great for people getting into a dh bike on the cheap. Your build kit has a lot of money in it, you would be much better served skimping on a few of the shiny parts and getting a better frame. Just the difference in price between the boxxer wc and team will save almost enough to bump you up into some much better frames. Supreme DH, 951, and V10 would be at the top of my list. I rode and race the blindside for a year, I'm not just making this stuff up. Or, wait for the TR450, which is a huge improvement over the blindside.
It may be true that The blindside is keeping the cost down.....But I will take it over ALOT of other frames that are available and out there. Only thing I would take different on teh blindside....Would be to have a 150 rear end, and an 83MM BB. Other than that, the bike is low, fairly slack, available to be more slack with a couple reducers, strong.....Cant say about the 951 yet, planning on demoing one here a week from Sunday.

Its a great bike, no reason at all why it wont perform.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Main pivot is way too low so the bike pedals poorly. Rear end is quite flexy, not the worst I've ridden but bad enough to leave rubber on the seatstays after a really rough track. Paint is super low quality and cable routing sucks. The geo isn't bad, pretty standard really, but I really like having the adjustable offered by some other frames available now. My biggest complaint is the scanty seatstay yoke, replacing the old design with no yoke at all. Carrying the shock on the toptube also makes for a high cg. No bike on the market is perfect, but if you have this kind of budget you can do a lot better.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Main pivot is way too low so the bike pedals poorly. Rear end is quite flexy, not the worst I've ridden but bad enough to leave rubber on the seatstays after a really rough track. Paint is super low quality and cable routing sucks. The geo isn't bad, pretty standard really, but I really like having the adjustable offered by some other frames available now. My biggest complaint is the scanty seatstay yoke, replacing the old design with no yoke at all. Carrying the shock on the toptube also makes for a high cg. No bike on the market is perfect, but if you have this kind of budget you can do a lot better.
Flexy??? Ummmm maybe something was wrong on yours. Mines anything but flext, at times I wish it was a little more giving.

Cable routing..... They did better than specialized did/does

Pedalling...I love how mine pedals, gets up and moves like mad. Maybe tahts just me and the way I pedal. But I can can get up and moving faster on teh blindside than I can on the demo.

I said it in another thread, this one too maybe, but I am looking forward to test riding the 951, Although I am not keeping my hopes up, I was quite dissapointed in teh lack os stiffness in the M6 myself.

To each his own I guess, maybe its me, maybe its getting frustrating seeing all the new bike threads that people are getting, then seeing someone telling them that bike sucks, you should be getting this or that.

Last edited:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
That was after Vermont and Mt. Saint Anne that I got skid marks on my stays, and that was with the un-yoked version. I will concede that most blindsides or bikes in general dont have to undergo that kind of punishment. I like my swingarms as stiff as possible, which my current commencal is, and by past intenses were not. Like I said, nothing is perfect, just think if you dont need to save money there are many bikes way better than the blindside.Much better than spending the money on a 500 dollar airspring for your fork, that's for sure.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Hey dude, we can remove a $10 spring and replace it with a 10 cent o-ring...and a 50 cent schrader valve........

Then charge $500 MORE for it because it is our 'best' (read most expensive) product....

Win Win.....$$$$