Quantcast

My boxxer feels like crap

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Just put the new V10 together with an 05 boxxer team and it feels like total poo, especially in contrast to the buttery goodness of the DHX. Don't have time to do anything with it before racing this weekend. Oh well. I suspect I need a slightly lighter spring and some lighter oil, it just feels heavy and sluggish and not smooth at the moment. Any sugestions for very quick fixes? I also didnt have the correct hayes adaptor for the fork, so Im using a standard 6" adapter spaced out with a ton washers for the race this weekend.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
What feels wrong with it? Too stiff? Too sticky? Ramps up too hard (or not enough)?

Try taking the top caps off, pull the springs out, and take out 10mL of oil from each leg (this will take about 30 seconds all up if you have a syringe). If they're feeling sticky, get some tri-flow (or similar teflon-based general-purpose lubricant), roll the circular springs off the seals, lift the lip up and squirt a bit down there (please use a squeeze bottle not a spray can). Pump the forks up and down and it should feel a bit smoother straight away. This is only a temporary fix though (ie it'll last a few days), it's no substitution for letting the seals break in, and packing said seals with slick honey etc.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Probably just needs to break in?
Um, quick fix... coast along and squish the bike a lot. ;)
Changing oil isn't that hard and its relatively easy to find some at a motorcycle shop.

-J

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
It definately needs to break in. It feels too heavily damped and a little too stiff at the moment. I wouldnt call it sticky, more just rough.I'll try removing a little oil and seeing how that works. Anyone know what the stock oil weight is?

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
I would also suggest some of the red rum by rocksox or something similar. It adds a nice smooth lube to the seals and helps prevent some of the stiction issues.

SwissOne

Chimp
May 9, 2005
remove some oil (not a lot) and ride it!
You have to, because it's a new fork.. about 10h.. also put some
Prep M (or similar product) in to the whipers.. (for this you have to disassemble some parts)

Update: U can maybe solve the washer problem by using a aluminium tube.. cut off the needed length and use those 2 small tubes instead of 2 billion washers!

or bether solution.. run to your next bike shop! ;-)

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Go to your shop and see if you can find a tiny little bottle (15Grams) of stuff made by finish line called Stanchion lube. My buddy swears by the stuff.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
instead of just taking out oil, replace the oil in there with atf (automotive automatic transmission fluid). search for it here, there are several threads in which boxxer, and other fork users rave about how much the improvement is. i run atf in all of my forks (marzocchis though, not rs), and i couldnt be happier.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Handlebarsfsr said:
instead of just taking out oil, replace the oil in there with atf (automotive automatic transmission fluid). search for it here, there are several threads in which boxxer, and other fork users rave about how much the improvement is. i run atf in all of my forks (marzocchis though, not rs), and i couldnt be happier.
Standark fork oil works just fine, and comes in varying viscosities - ATF does not.

Also - he dosn't have time to make all sort sof changes, so if he dumps out a bit of oil it will make a world of difference.

Weird sidenote - i have felt 2005 boxxers that are buttery smooth, and some that feel notchy as hell...what gives???

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Transcend said:
Take out some oil. RS is notorious for overfilling.
Word. My buddy Ryan's fork was over filled straight from the mechanic at Sea Otter. When we asked why it came back so much stiffer he said it probably just needs lighter springs... :rolleyes: As advised by some monkeys, Ryan just took some oil out and now its heaven.

-J

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Thank good mine wasn't handled by the drunk taiwanese. I tell you the oil was at the right height and it was like butter straight out the box.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
DROP said:
if you run less oil then your supposed to could it possibly damage the internals
Maybe, but will that really matter or make it feel worse? No, plus, it decreases the risk of you blowing a seal, which makes the seal happy but not you.

It's only 830pm and I'm just starting on beer...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
SwissOne said:
remove some oil (not a lot) and ride it!
You have to, because it's a new fork.. about 10h.. also put some
Prep M (or similar product) in to the whipers.. (for this you have to disassemble some parts)

Update: U can maybe solve the washer problem by using a aluminium tube.. cut off the needed length and use those 2 small tubes instead of 2 billion washers!

or bether solution.. run to your next bike shop! ;-)
I am the bike shop. I can think of about half a dozen shops in the country that I would actually trust to take apart my fork, and none of them are in this part of the country.

I rode it for about an hour today and it did improve somewhat. Still not butter smooth but better and once it got moving the damping lightened up a bit. I'll give it a little more time to break in before really changing anything.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Transcend said:
Weird sidenote - i have felt 2005 boxxers that are buttery smooth, and some that feel notchy as hell...what gives???
Same here... strangely, out of the numerous Teams, Races, WCs and Rides I've felt... the Teams have been the worst (I think I've tried about 3 of those), and the Rides have been the best! Must be a lack of lubrication or something out of the box, some of them feel terrible.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
thaflyinfatman said:
Same here... strangely, out of the numerous Teams, Races, WCs and Rides I've felt... the Teams have been the worst (I think I've tried about 3 of those), and the Rides have been the best! Must be a lack of lubrication or something out of the box, some of them feel terrible.

my 2005 team felt a bit notchy out of the box as well, but that was mostly due to the fact that there is ZERO lube under the dust wipers. just drip some lube on the upper tubes and cycle the fork through its travel a few times and that will help a ton.

also, have you taken the top caps off yet? sometimes between taiwan and your house the presure changes, and when you open the top caps you hear presurized air release (similar to what happens if you take your bike go on a plane)... i also dumped the stock oil and filled it up with the correct amount just to be sure since in the past boxxers have come with all kinds off diferent levels in the from the factory

i also found that i have to run the 8" fok way softer than my 7" fork. i weigh 150 and ran yellow/silver (medium/soft) in my old boxxer and had to go down to a real light spring rate on the new one using silver/white (soft/x-soft) to get full travel.

after doing all this and a day at bromont, the fork feels absolutely amazing

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Im gonna ride it as is for downhill domination next weekend and then get the RS guys to pull it apart for me at mountain creek it it is still feeling crappy, Im trying to decide if I want softer springs or not, so I should know after next weekend.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
davetrump said:
my 2005 team felt a bit notchy out of the box as well, but that was mostly due to the fact that there is ZERO lube under the dust wipers. just drip some lube on the upper tubes and cycle the fork through its travel a few times and that will help a ton.

also, have you taken the top caps off yet? sometimes between taiwan and your house the presure changes, and when you open the top caps you hear presurized air release (similar to what happens if you take your bike go on a plane)... i also dumped the stock oil and filled it up with the correct amount just to be sure since in the past boxxers have come with all kinds off diferent levels in the from the factory

i also found that i have to run the 8" fok way softer than my 7" fork. i weigh 150 and ran yellow/silver (medium/soft) in my old boxxer and had to go down to a real light spring rate on the new one using silver/white (soft/x-soft) to get full travel.

after doing all this and a day at bromont, the fork feels absolutely amazing
Thank you Dave for writing what I would have said - 05 Boxxer is great if you know your sh.t.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
From TF Tuneds website

Why does my '05 Boxxer feel harsh over small bumps?

The new 8" lower leg assembly has much longer lower bushings which, if not fitted correctly, can cause a high degree of stiction. This leads to what can only be described as a harsh & sticky small bump ride. To resolve this issue we need to remove the seals (we have to replace the oil seal as it's not possible to remove it without damaging it), remove the upper & lower bushings before reworking/resizing the lower bushing. This procedure is very time-consuming so we have to make an extra labour charge (£10) & fit new oil seals (£15) - total £25 for super smooth fork.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/rockshox/rsfaq.htm#q1.1

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
CBJ said:
From TF Tuneds website

Why does my '05 Boxxer feel harsh over small bumps?

The new 8" lower leg assembly has much longer lower bushings which, if not fitted correctly, can cause a high degree of stiction. This leads to what can only be described as a harsh & sticky small bump ride. To resolve this issue we need to remove the seals (we have to replace the oil seal as it's not possible to remove it without damaging it), remove the upper & lower bushings before reworking/resizing the lower bushing. This procedure is very time-consuming so we have to make an extra labour charge (£10) & fit new oil seals (£15) - total £25 for super smooth fork.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/rockshox/rsfaq.htm#q1.1
So it's the old "you have to fix a boxxer after you buy it" addage...

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
No this is the old JM dosn't like Boxxer :)

The article dosen't mentioned if its something isolated and the people I know on 05 Boxxers have not had any problems or needed any fix. My 05 WC rocked out of the Boxxer correct oil height and all.

pbskis14

Chimp
Apr 24, 2003
Thats the stock oil weight for the '05 Teams??

Oh yeah, so my boxxer is also been gay and feelin like ****. The fork is not progressive at alllll, sticky in the begining and does seem to ramp up during the travel. Bottoms harsh on almost all drops... You guys have any ideas?

Pete

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Don't ride it or brake it in or anything first... Just tear it apart. Did you go to the school for the mechanicly DECLINED or something. Brake it in first and then make an opinion.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
pbskis14 said:
Thats the stock oil weight for the '05 Teams??

Oh yeah, so my boxxer is also been gay and feelin like ****. The fork is not progressive at alllll, sticky in the begining and does seem to ramp up during the travel. Bottoms harsh on almost all drops... You guys have any ideas?

Pete
You are correct, boxxers are not progressive. If you are bottoming it out, you have two choices. One is to increase the compression damping (make it harsher), the other is to increase the spring rate (makes it stiffer and again, harsher). This is one area where a couple major manufacturers are falling way behind, even though they put out decent products otherwise. Progressiveness is important because if you have the right spring, you can still bottom out a linear fork off a drop, but with progressiveness you can have a fork that does not bottom and does not need to be "oversprung" to do so.