Quantcast

My car turned 100,000 Miles old today!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Haha buy one! I paid $13k after all of the loan/transferring fees. A great deal. mmmmmmmm

I wish I held out a little longer to find a 6 speed version. I got stuck with a lousy 5 speed.. Blah. =]
Someone makes a 6-speed conversion for the 5-speed 02J that comes with VW 1.8Ts...not sure if audi does something different.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
haha all of those lights are just a cosmetic problem. It is all caused by a bad sensor ($800 to replace from the dealer or $250 to refurbish). I would much rather use that money on something that matters. =]

I can deal with a couple extra lights

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I'm at just over 100,000 in my 95 explorer. Its pretty low mileage for that year, seeing as I only drive about 300-400 miles a month.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Pretty obvious it needs work, Check engine light on ABS & brake light on .You are better off doing the other maintenancs work as well . nice car though .
VAG cars throw codes if you sneeze at them funny.

I had mine scanned a few months ago by a fvckwit at Autozone...he said "We scan more VWs and Audis than any other car, but my buddy is a VW mechanic and is cutting back on hours 'cause he can't get work..."

VAG-COM <3

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My 4 Runner is in intensive care...may not make it. After only 140k miles. I dread doing the "gotta buy a car" dance. May go to the dealer with a flamethrower...stay tuned.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Them whose time is more valuable that what they would pay a mechanic.
Not many folks out there that are pulling north of $90/hour, but if I did I'd probably have someone else do the work. Anyhow, my '93 toyota pickup is at 210k and my '90 miata is at 180k. They both need a ton of work though. I'd really like to dump both of them and pick up an Avant like the OP's, a WRX wagon or the right 3 series wagon but not having a car payment *rocks*.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not many folks out there that are pulling north of $90/hour, but if I did I'd probably have someone else do the work. Anyhow, my '93 toyota pickup is at 210k and my '90 miata is at 180k. They both need a ton of work though. I'd really like to dump both of them and pick up an Avant like the OP's, a WRX wagon or the right 3 series wagon but not having a car payment *rocks*.
Who the hell pays a mechanic $90 an hour? My Toyota Certified dude down the street charges the standard $45 an hour (less than what I make) and I bring him the parts.

I have only had him do a few things as I enjoy working on my own rigs. He works on the wifes car because I won't touch it. He installed all new pads/shoes on her car a few months back for $60 and I got the parts at NAPA and had them delivered for free.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Who the hell pays a mechanic $90 an hour? My Toyota Certified dude down the street charges the standard $45 an hour (less than what I make) and I bring him the parts.

I have only had him do a few things as I enjoy working on my own rigs. He works on the wifes car because I won't touch it. He installed all new pads/shoes on her car a few months back for $60 and I got the parts at NAPA and had them delivered for free.
Going rate at a VAG dealership is 80-100/hour... Independents 50-75.

Sheet, a friend and I did the brakes (rotors/pads f/r) on my car down in Vegas when I was there for Interbike in about 45 mins...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Going rate at a VAG dealership is 80-100/hour... Independents 50-75.

Sheet, a friend and I did the brakes (rotors/pads f/r) on my car down in Vegas when I was there for Interbike in about 45 mins...
That's what you get for going to a dealership. I NEVER trust the dealer to do anything. I would rather find someone who knows what they are doing rather than who they are employed by.

When you did the brakes, did you change the fluid too? That would be NASCAR quick in 45 minutes. He does awesome work and he's 2 blocks away. I am going to have him do some work on my engine soon.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
That's what you get for going to a dealership. I NEVER trust the dealer to do anything. I would rather find someone who knows what they are doing rather than who they are employed by.

When you did the brakes, did you change the fluid too? That would be NASCAR quick in 45 minutes. He does awesome work and he's 2 blocks away. I am going to have him do some work on my engine soon.
Nah, no fluid, just pads/rotors. Never realized how easy they were...at least on my car. I'd dare say that with a big floor jack it's easier than the same job on a bike ;)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nah, no fluid, just pads/rotors. Never realized how easy they were...at least on my car. I'd dare say that with a big floor jack it's easier than the same job on a bike ;)
I've gotten into the habit of changing the fluid every time too just because it's easy to do with the Mighty Vac and with the way I drive, my fluid gets nasty.

When I did my 300zx, the brakes were so much nicer. It's just automatic now.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Who the hell pays a mechanic $90 an hour?
Anyone who wants a shop to work on their car? To be fair $90 is definitely on the high side for an independent, I was thinking stealership rates. I'd expect between $60 and $80/hr for an independent. $45/hr is still >$90k/year, that's a helluva lot more than most folks make. It's nice that you make big bucks and have a good working relationship with a shop, but it doesn't change the fact that it pays for a lot of us to do the work ourselves.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Anyone who wants a shop to work on their car? To be fair $90 is definitely on the high side for an independent, I was thinking stealership rates. I'd expect between $60 and $80/hr for an independent. $45/hr is still >$90k/year, that's a helluva lot more than most folks make. It's nice that you make big bucks and have a good working relationship with a shop, but it doesn't change the fact that it pays for a lot of us to do the work ourselves.
Maybe it's the location then. I've never had a shop quote me more than $60 an hour for labor.

Just so you know, I do 90% (or more in some cases) of my own work. Hell, I am doing EVERYTHING on my current project (this includes paint/body work, suspension mods, stereo, interior) until the engine goes, then I am just buying a crate, but I'll pull the old one and install the new one.

But I drive older vehicles that don't require much for special equipment or tools. I won't even change the oil in my wifes car because my time is worth more than the $30 or so I spend to have it done.

I also don't trust most people to modify my frame/suspension either. Not to mention the gratification of building it myself.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Very true, I don't really trust anyone else to work on my car and I do take a bit of pride in my ability to do it myself.
There's a sticker on my friends truck that says:

It's not what you bought, it's what you built.

If I ever get my truck finished, it will be the poster child for that saying.

<edit> A guy down the street from me spent over $10k restoring an '86 Toyota SR5 extra cab because it's just like the truck he had in high school. It looks great, but not $10k great.

wreckedrex

Monkey
Feb 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
$10k? :shocked: I was thinking of dropping a few grand into my '93 'cause it's awesome and I like it, but that's a little over the top. To each their own I suppose...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ah, the effects of a midlife crisis...
:stupid:

The guy spent over $5k just in paint work. My friend did all the body/paint work (all steel, no filler). They no longer make the nasty graphics for it, so they remade them using some pictures they found and had a sign shop print them on vinyl.

Don't get me wrong, the truck is BRAND NEW inside and out, but it's bone stock other than the 80's mag wheels.

My truck is anything but stock, but that's how I roll.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Our last 3 cars--

'85 Cadillac my Grandma gave us with 69000 miles, we got it up to 135000, then donated it to the church when stepson pissed me off.......

'00 Mazda MPV we bought new off the lot, now having 168000 miles (probably going to keep this car until it quits, as it's the car I let Alaina "drive" in the driveway and all those memories)........

'02 Volvo S60 wifey got with 21000 miles, now up to 101000 miles.

Hey, at least the 2 are paid off, sort of.............................