Quantcast

My Devinci Wilson 2008 (warning: big pics!)

illu

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
I know somebody is going to flame me for doing a separate thread for this, but I had so many pictures :imstupid:

Anyway, It's finally finished, atleast for a while. Weighs in at 17.3 kg with all the Raceface stuff.

Specsheet:

Frame: Devinci Wilson 4 medium (2008)
Rearshock: Fox DHX Air
Fork: Rockshox Boxxer Worldcup
Brakes: Avid Code 203mm
Wheels: DT Swiss FR6.1d + DT440
Chainguide: Gamut P30
Chainring: Raceface 36t + KCNC alu bolts
Pedals: Dark Cycles Arachnid
Seatpost: Raceface Diabolus
Cranks+BB: Raceface Diabolus
Handlebar: Raceface Diabolus
Stem: Daredevil Directmount
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Shifter: SRAM X.0
Derailleur: SRAM X.0
Cassette: SRAM PG-970 DH
Tires: Maxxis Highroller 2.5"

and for the final pic some action :)

Last edited:

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
very nice bike, props. i think you could shed some weight if you cut your steerer tube though...i think its 2" too big. Also if you could do a follow up review on the pedals i would like to hear about them...

edit. a rocco would make the bike look better too, imo...but still one nice bike

Last edited:

illu

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
how those rims holdin up? or should i say denting up??
0 dents so far! Initially I was prepared to replace them ASAP as everyone seemed to have something bad to complain about them..

I guess it's all about how you build them :cupidarrow:

illu

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Have you ridden the previous generation Wilson frame. I love the look and weight of the new one but I've heard.read it is a bit flexy. Can you comment on that?
Nope I haven't. Can't notice any flex. My previous bike was Cannondale Gemini DH, no difference in terms of flex. I even tried rocking the rear by holding the front triangle put.

However I read somebody had developed some flex due to bushings wearing. I tightened everything while I was riding in Åre bike park this summer so it might have prevented issues (this was due to one bolt loosening in the dropouts, glad I noticed it in time..).

I hear Devinci is replacing the bushings with needlebearings for '09, current Wilson owners can order the replacement-set from Devinci if problems should occur.

Last edited:

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I had an old generation Wilson and I have the new 4. I'd say most of the reports of flex have to do with the bushings wearing down. If you keep things tight it shouldn't be a problem. I've got a set of the needle bearings that I'm going to throw in I'll post on how they work out.

If you like the old model you'll love the new one. Much better cornering, it is no longer a train and the suspension actually moves. One thing, they took all the sizes and moved them down one ie (a old medium is now a new large).

Have you ridden the previous generation Wilson frame. I love the look and weight of the new one but I've heard.read it is a bit flexy. Can you comment on that?

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
What about the older bike didn't allow the suspension to move?

So far I like mine, it has worked really well at Big Bear and Mammoth. Heading up to Mammoth this weekend.

I'm riding a large 2007. I was partially drawn to it because I'm 6'5" and the frame is so large. Bummer Devinci made the bikes a bit smaller for each size.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
Maybe it was just me. I came from a Balfa BB7 and went to a Giant Glory, and then this new Devinci. I'm not going to try to hazard a guess about suspension curves and all that BS, but I didn't find the old Devinci very plush (and I did change the spring). The new one rides much nicer for me. If you're looking to change I think you'll enjoy it.

What about the older bike didn't allow the suspension to move?

So far I like mine, it has worked really well at Big Bear and Mammoth. Heading up to Mammoth this weekend.

I'm riding a large 2007. I was partially drawn to it because I'm 6'5" and the frame is so large. Bummer Devinci made the bikes a bit smaller for each size.

jexter

Chimp
Apr 29, 2005
Dream land no doubt !
This bike was a huge improvement over the former model. Its super nimble in tight sections. It sticks to the ground and corners like a DH rig should. I raced it this whole season and couldn't be more pleased. Because I decided to run air both front and rear , it took me the better part of the season to get it set up right. Now that it's right, until I feel a better coil, and I haven't, I won't go back.

The bolts on almost all pivot points will loosen up after a few hard rides, so yea, make sure you keep up with that. My bushings have lasted through out the entire season, so until they go, then I'll insert the needles. And because of the low BB, your gonna take some shots when fully compressed, but you learn to work with it. I suggest 165 crank length.

I had mine to 38LBS with out even trying too hard. I'm sure I could do 36 if need be. Coming off a 47 Lb Turner, it's soooooo nice !

Attachments

HighMinion

Chimp
Dec 4, 2007
Great bike.

I went from an 04' Wilson to a 4 this year and can't belive the difference. It's not quite as stiff as the old one, but hasn't turned me off it by any means. Like everyone says just tighten the pivot bolts and it's fine. Have mine at 34.8 right now and it's been good so far.

Attachments

illu

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Great bike.

I went from an 04' Wilson to a 4 this year and can't belive the difference. It's not quite as stiff as the old one, but hasn't turned me off it by any means. Like everyone says just tighten the pivot bolts and it's fine. Have mine at 34.8 right now and it's been good so far.
Holy motherload of Canadian goodness!! :shocked: That looks unreal. I've been watching that rig of yours "evolve" during this summer at PB, and this is the best "stage" it's been in so far! Immeadetly recognized it from the build :)

illu

Chimp
Dec 14, 2007
Really nice build. Where did you find those pedals I kinda want a pair?
I don't know if you are talking about my pedals, but thanks and they are Dark Cycles Arachnid. I ordered them directly from Dark Cycles.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Wow, Devinci needs to take what they pay their graphic designers and triple it...that bike is one of the best looking I've seen in a long time.