Quantcast

my e13 thread of the day

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
just got my e13 40t bash guard. i wanted to try this on my previous one, but never got around to it....so, has anyone shaved the bashguard to fit a 38t ring?

KleinMp99

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
United States
Why shave it? The 38 T ring will work on the 40 and the the bashring wont look huge. I would think that if you shaved it it might be a little softer because it seems like there is some kind of hard coating on it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I shaved the ring on mine to fit smaller. All the shop had was the 44T guard and I wanted to run a 36T ring. I took off about a 1/4 inch all the way around. I made a jig and used a jigsaw with a metal blade. Then I did a little finish work on it with my Dremel. Not as nice as the finished edge, but it works.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i was just curious. but now that i know it can be done.....heh heh heeeh

--there should be an "evil laugh" icon to replace that smoking devil. the smoker reminds me too much of Pinkbike, or NSMB.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i just instaled a 36tooth on my DH rig and man does it look good!
now i just need to go ride the damn thing.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Originally posted by KleinMp99
Why shave it? The 38 T ring will work on the 40 and the the bashring wont look huge. I would think that if you shaved it it might be a little softer because it seems like there is some kind of hard coating on it.
No, i'm pretty sure that's just the finish from the mold, cause its Makrolon all the way through.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Originally posted by ssaddict
No, i'm pretty sure that's just the finish from the mold, cause its Makrolon all the way through.
I'm sure the boys from e13 will correct me if I'm wrong but those aren't molded. They are machined. If Makrolon is anything like acrylic, after you machine it you "flame polish" it by waving a blow torch over it quickly. This returns the optical clarity and makes it shiny.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Originally posted by buildyourown
I'm sure the boys from e13 will correct me if I'm wrong but those aren't molded. They are machined. If Makrolon is anything like acrylic, after you machine it you "flame polish" it by waving a blow torch over it quickly. This returns the optical clarity and makes it shiny.

The cost to machine those would be outrageous along with the time. They are def molded.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I believe "injection molded" is the term Evil/E-13 uses.

AfroJack

Chimp
Nov 4, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Ive tried blow tourching the ring. It doesnt work. I machined the thickness as well as diameter down so the back is the only shiny part now.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I dont get it honnestly y shave the guad wen its a 40t.Ether your really picky or you rboered and have nothing to do and wan aplay machinist.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The smaller the bash gaurd the more the ground clearance. Its kind of a waste of ground clearance if you run a 44T bash on a 36T ring...

Has anyone had problems with the Evil bashgaured cracking or shattering around the bolt holes? I think maybe my buddy tightened his too much. THe Evil gaurd looks like it is about to shatter around the holes.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yes the washers are presant and the are torqued to spec. The only thing is that the guard is on Diablos cranks and it didn't fit very well and had to be sort of bent to fit....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bent? how come? was the little recessed area not deep enough for the cranks? if so, that area can be filed down. have to do that for Profiles.