Quantcast

My Eli died....venting a bit

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Last week a buddy flew in from San Diego and we spent the week hitting trails in the area. After a full week of hard riding I cleaned my bike and found cracks around the the base of both lower set stays and a gold ball sized dent in the down tube just above the botoom bracket.
Funny, in the entire week of riding I never went down, never did any unreasonable drops, nothing. I was really impressed with every aspect of this bike- climbing, descending, everything...just great performer. I thought I had found the "holy grail" of all-around bikes in my Eli. Well, I guess not; after less than two dozen rides it cracked like an egg.
So, since I got the bike "used" (but never ridden), I have no warrenty and am SOL. I've contacted Tomac to see if I can purchase a new main frame, but am worried it will also crack. So, I've pulled all the parts and built up a Jamis XLT frame I had lying around....still, though, it's not even close in terms of performance.
I am seriously considering re-welding the tomac frame & adding additional gussets. I hate to see this frame go to waste & know I can get my hands on some 6061 T6. Live & learn I guess...maybe that's why I never saw other Eli's on the trail?Doh!

nkrax

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
I had the same thing happen to my 98 Special Pro...actually, it happened in the same place (where the seat tube meets the BB). It sucks because I really loved that bike. I guess I will have to move on. Any thoughts?

RAAR,

Hey bro, I ride an XLT also and I love it. It is my first full suspension;which has pushed me more into freeriding than xc. But I will tell you that watch out for the weld at the bottom/back of the rear triangle. I am a 180lb rider and a friend of mine has an XLT he is 190lbs rider/ both of us has broken the rear triangle, in the same spot. Fortunetly, I only did it once, but my friend broke his 3 times in 5months. Yeah sux huh. All three times he was about 8miles out. :mumble:

Anyway, I can say this, Jamis is real "stand upish" about getting them replaced. Neither him nor I had any problems getting this issue resolved. Although my friend ended up retiring his after only 9months. He ended up buying a sick ass Elsworth.

Just trying to look out for my peeps! :thumb:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<PURA VIDA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<RIDE HARD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks for the heads up on the XLT. It's an '03 but the frame was ridden only a short time before I picked up the Eli. I've heard about the chainstays problems and figure it's just a matter of time; good to hear Jamis is aware & willing to take care of the problem.
As for Tomac (Or American Bicycle) I doubt very seriously I'll ever purchase another of their products. Their warrenty rep informed me that they replace frames as a unit & do not replace chainstays, linkages, main frames, etc as needed. I was directed to the local Lightspeed rep and the $1200 msrp for the frame. "Why would I want to pay $1200 for a frame I just snapped after less than two dozen rides?" I asked. Funny, Trek, Jamis, Giant, GT, etc are more than happy to sell people replacement parts for frames.
The funny thing is, I have aboslutely reaved about this bike to everyone that asked me about it. There is no telling how many strangers have pedeled it around trail head parking ares to see how it felt & spoke of getting one for themselves. Now, people get to ask me "Hey man, where's the Tomac?!" and I have to tell them "Damn thing broke after only a few months. Great bike; too bad it didn't hold up". A company just traded great word of mouth advertising for a poor rating over a $2-300 main frame. Sucks, because the bike really does handle like a dream.