Quantcast

My first Downhill Race, AWESOME!!!!!

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Wanted to say thanks to diablo for a great first experience. I have raced other "downhill" events at festivals, XC races, and such. I have spent countless hours freeriding and dirtjumping. But the experience that I encountered at Diablo was a once in a lifetime event. It was my first REAL downhill event I have ever raced (US OPEN) and my 5th or 6th time to diablo. I figured what the heck, I run with all the big dogs at the dirt jumps, keep with the croud freeriding and usually lead the pack in technical XC and local Downhill events, Let's go the PRO class. WAKEUP CALL. Throughout practice I realized I was in a totally different world. It was the first time I have ever heard the fraze "RIDER UP" coming from behind me through a rock garden. I was definitely a kid in a candy store though. These were trails I have never visited at Diablo. Every other trip I had gone to Diablo I stuck to the jumps/flowing trails with the occassional venture off into the rocks where although fun I was mostly lost (so I guess I may have been on this trail before, don't know). I hooked up with a guy named Fred (fast freddie?). Him and I rode three runs together and flowed good, Thanks Fred for showing me the line over the top of the rock garden. Then DS came. throughout the practice could not get a line, this is the format I usually shine, but then again I am used to riding lines that are packed as hard as concrete. Through qualifying again the pro's showed me what riding was all about. The first run sank to my rotors in the first berm, netting a 21.3 BLAH!!. Second Run a little cleaner only in the slower lane a 20.1, still not good enouph my day was over for DS did not qualify. The next day was DH qualifiers. Again went to the top, took a couple pointers on how to race downhill, and let her rip. Half way through the rock garden I got a little kicked and sent over to the right side and out of the flow line. Tried to regain but ended up pedaling for quite a distance trying to get back up to speed (one thing I realized in practice if you had to pedal to regain speed you are loosing huge distance). Back on track pulled off a really clean second half. Flustered from the rock garden incident I skipped out on the pro jump and pedaled for all it was worth to try an regain some of my time resulting in a 3:23, Second lesson What I thought was fast was nothing compared to the world cup caliper racers there that day. Even if I would have gained 5 or 10 seconds from the mixup in the rock garden I still would have not qualified. Sunday was a great day of riding and reflecting on my first experience. I wanted to really give a shout out to Diablo for putting on a real classy event. Even my son (who by the way was in 7th heaven and probably annoying everyone there with his mohawk and wound up on lightning energy drinks) was having the time of his life, especially on sunday when I invited him and a couple other kids to go freeriding with me. So Diablo, you and your local crew are number 1 in my book, and you put on 1st class events. Can't wait to return and ride again, of course if the next race comes I am racing Amateur, or should I be riding beginner?:cheers:

ppatches60

Chimp
May 21, 2007
Glad you enjoyed it - hope to see you at the Domination races! We're locals and my daughter races Am so we're always there!:happydance:

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
It's never the same race twice,...everything is a learning experience at Diablo. Well worth the money,....investing in making memories!