Quantcast

My Interbike Top 5

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
I figured I’d post up my thoughts on my favorite items from Interbike 2009.

Not just DH stuff, well mostly, but overall mountain bike goodies I found most interesting.

Not in order of most important…

1 Elka coil shocks.

I met up with the guys from Elka at the Outdoor demo to try out some shocks. I was really looking forward to trying them since I’ve been going back and forth between a new-tune Cane Creek Double Barrel and a Pushed Factory Race Roco that I had re worked for my new bike. The Elka is a fairly straight forward shock. Hi and Low compression adjusts that are really easy to reach and turn. One rebound adjuster. No air tuning in the reservoir. Scott here from Go-Ride and I tested 3 different shocks. One on Scotts personal Giant Reign X, I rode a Cove G Spot and also a Cove Shocker. We both noted on how plush they were and how quickly we were able to get them tuned to our liking. Within 1 run we both found settings we were very happy with. I was able to get the low speed compression firmed up enough to hump a downhill bike up to the shuttle pickup but It was still quite supple. I softened it back up a bit to see what I could get away with. After a couple rim bangs I softened the high speed compression to cope with the sharp rocks of Bootleg. I few whiplashing G outs proved the proficiency of the bottom out bumper. As I hit the bottom of a run a few buddies were just heading out for a short xc loop so I firmed the low speed back up and found it to still be plenty plush to ride the rolling terrain of the lower mountain while also being fairly quick pedaling. Very cool!!!

2 Troy Lee D3 Helmet.

I already have a Troy Lee SE2 moto helmet and this little baby fits just like it!!! I wear a small and the D2 is too tight, and the medium is too loose. The D3 is a perfect fit! Seriously plush! My Remedy feels like a barely padded xc lid with giant cheek pads, because it is. There are quite a few features to it, like the pull tab removable cheek pads. Like in some modern moto helmets, the cheek pads can be removed while wearing the helmet to make removal easier on an injured rider. The neck brace compatibility is over the top with the rear back portion shaped for maximum clearance and mobility. The Sam Hill model is especially sexy-and low key. But then again, Peaty’s has “1974” on the pool balls on the side… I was born that year too!!! Oh and the tap handle spilling beer all over the lid, nice job Troy!

3 Giant Reign X

I’m cheating the Top 5 a little here because I already own these next two items, but only got one ride before the show, and I rode my own bike there a bunch. I have ridden Bootleg on just about every bike I’ve owned so it is my favorite testing ground. The Giant Reign X. Light, low, 170mm travel, pure fun bike! One 32lb all coil dream machine to take anywhere anytime. Full blown DH courses, backcountry trails, favorite shuttle runs, you get the picture. My favorite One Bike ever. Climbing in the granny sure beats pushing a DH to the top. Bunny hopping into corners and back out again. The opposite of a plower DH machine. OK maybe I’m burnt on DH bikes, I’m mini DH all the way!

4 Lyric 170 DH coil

Speaking of mini DH, what goes better with a Reign X than a matching 170mm coil fork with Mission Control DH damping! 5.25lbs of coil sprung mini Boxxer action! The funny thing I found is that the stock valve scheme is pretty much what we arrived at in the new Boxxer after a summer of testing. Only one rebound knob but it does have Dual Flow rebound shimmz and a seriously stiff audible CLICK with every turn. 3 springs in the box. Oil is already in the fork. It seems the Lyric 170 learned from the teething problems of its big brother. My head angle is perfect, the fork tracks chatter like crazy and the damper is easily highly tunable. No Drop Stop but I’m gonna make one for it for when I like to get old school and hit up some drops.

5 Yeti ASR5 C

Here’s a crazy thought- take a 4.75lb 120mm full carbon fiber racer boy bike, slack the head angle out to 68 degrees, drop the BB to 13”, throw in a tapered steer tube and a 15mm axle to be sure it steers well up front and toss on a 142 x 12 axle in the rear of the full carbon mongo swingarm and see what happens! Well what happens is you create a sub 25lb rocket that can handle rocky runs far better that the pinner tires the weenies use! I’m not so sure I’m gonna run out and buy a 120mm bike right away but if I was that kinda guy this would be the bike!!!

OK that’s what I got.
Krispy

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
Nice review on the elka. I'm thinking about trying one out. I assume if it can fit in a reign x it'd be fine in an 08 glory fr?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
And a pic

I would think the Elka will fit a Glory. The trick is that they are semi custom valved and are in French Canadia. We are working with them to have demo shocks with various valve schemes, and then will build shocks here in Utah! yeeah!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
And a pic

I would think the Elka will fit a Glory. The trick is that they are semi custom valved and are in French Canadia. We are working with them to have demo shocks with various valve schemes, and then will build shocks here in Utah! yeeah!
Patrick & Tony with Elka are great! I've been working with them since late spring and should be offering them, if not including them with all new Karpiel Discos. They were nice enough to display one of my Disco's at their booth for the trade show. Hopefully next year I'll have a demo bike available for all to ride.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I need to see if I took a picture of it.

165-ish travel, sweet internal cable routing. Looks like a mini version of the DH bike. Should be available in the spring or so.
Internal cable routing is a pain in the a$$ if you ask me. It looks nice but none of the people I know which bikes that have it really like it. Still a nice idea.

What about the boxxer/888 cardridges? They really seem interesting or do we get the reliability of mojo kits from the old days? Also do they really do something new?

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Elka has some amazing customer service and the Stage 5 shock performs way beyond my expectations. It transformed my Cove STD (DHX 5) from a "this is a fun bike" to "YEEHAW!!!" The back end tracks the ground much better, it corners faster, pedaling is improved, and the thing just launches off jumps now. Every aspect of the frame's performance is improved. The adjustments are easy to figure out and the instruction manual is very informative. More manufacturers should entertain offering these custom valved shocks as an option on their frames if they truly want to get the most out of them.

Attachments

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
5 Yeti ASR5 C

Here’s a crazy thought- take a 4.75lb 120mm full carbon fiber racer boy bike, slack the head angle out to 68 degrees, drop the BB to 13”, throw in a tapered steer tube and a 15mm axle to be sure it steers well up front and toss on a 142 x 12 axle in the rear of the full carbon mongo swingarm and see what happens! Well what happens is you create a sub 25lb rocket that can handle rocky runs far better that the pinner tires the weenies use! I’m not so sure I’m gonna run out and buy a 120mm bike right away but if I was that kinda guy this would be the bike!!!
Wow. :eek: Thanks for the post...

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Elka has some amazing customer service and the Stage 5 shock performs way beyond my expectations. It transformed my Cove STD (DHX 5) from a "this is a fun bike" to "YEEHAW!!!" The back end tracks the ground much better, it corners faster, pedaling is improved, and the thing just launches off jumps now. Every aspect of the frame's performance is improved. The adjustments are easy to figure out and the instruction manual is very informative. More manufacturers should entertain offering these custom valved shocks as an option on their frames if they truly want to get the most out of them.
man, the elka sounds perfect for my Shocker.. The shock AND having it tuned for $450 almost sounds to good to be true, I also like the idea of not having to check the psi in an air-chamber every time before I ride..

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Internal cable routing is a pain in the a$$ if you ask me. It looks nice but none of the people I know which bikes that have it really like it. Still a nice idea.

What about the boxxer/888 cardridges? They really seem interesting or do we get the reliability of mojo kits from the old days? Also do they really do something new?
From what I can remember they are nitrogen(or air with a shock pump) charged and have a parabolic needle for tuning. Of course they can be shimmed.

In person they looked great. Quality was top notch.

Hopefully I can borrow one to test and report back.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
man, the elka sounds perfect for my Shocker.. The shock AND having it tuned for $450 almost sounds to good to be true, I also like the idea of not having to check the psi in an air-chamber every time before I ride..
+1 on the Elka.
Great price for a custom tuned shock , but it's the quality of ride that really impressed me.
As noted above Elka also has great customer service.
Can't go wrong.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I've had my elka for a year now. If you guys remember i did a long first ride impression pictorial review. It is still problem free and feeling as good as before.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
5 Yeti ASR5 C

Rode this bike for about 2 hrs at the outdoor demo and was also very impressed. I'm in the same boat as you: not exactly a bike I would buy, but I was still pretty stoked on it. Climbed super well, very stiff, super light, and decended way better than I expected. And it looks freakin' gorgeous.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
1. The Empire bike in the Cane Creek booth. I've had a hard on for this thing (despite
having never tried it!) since it was in dirtmag. Seeing it in person - WOW.

2. KS 27.2 mm telescoping post. It will fit any bike I own from here on in, has a proper
amount of drop (5") and is well thought out. Plus it has a piggy back so it must be
good.... it's there for oil displacement because the smaller tube does not have
enough room.

3. The guy walking about w/ the electronic gearbox bike. I know it's been on here
before but it was cool to see in person.

4. Aluminum legged Dorado. Enough said.

5. That 29" wheel Lenz DH bike.... even though it only has 7" of travel, it does have
proper DH geo! Plus it gets a load of bonus points for being a **** disturber.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
5. That 29" wheel Lenz DH bike.... even though it only has 7" of travel, it does have proper DH geo! Plus it gets a load of bonus points for being a **** disturber.
Did you notice that WTB had a proper 29" DH tire on display in their booth? Obviously they (and Manitou) think the 29er DH bike thing is gonna go somewhere.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
That and lenz having the tires and the forks on 7" 29er bikes!
The tire is 1540g, the catalog says Super Duty casing but it felt thinner to me. It also says Team FR not team DH on the "level" of the tire. Not sure what that means.

HaveFaith

Monkey
Mar 11, 2006
1. The Empire bike in the Cane Creek booth. I've had a hard on for this thing (despite

2. KS 27.2 mm telescoping post. It will fit any bike I own from here on in, has a proper
amount of drop (5") and is well thought out. Plus it has a piggy back so it must be
good.... it's there for oil displacement because the smaller tube does not have
enough room.

3. The guy walking about w/ the electronic gearbox bike. I know it's been on here
before but it was cool to see in person.

4. Aluminum legged Dorado. Enough said.

5. That 29" wheel Lenz DH bike.... even though it only has 7" of travel, it does have
proper DH geo! Plus it gets a load of bonus points for being a **** disturber.
I was the guy with the electronic shifting bike. Nice to meet you too! It was a fun time and the bike got its fair share of interest in the 1.25 days that I was there. Wish I had more time to get it in front of more of the media. Take care!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008

[/B]
I agree. Lovely thing isn't it ?

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I agree. Lovely thing isn't it ?

It is insane in person. I don't know the math but isn't it over $5 grand for a frame by the time it gets to the U.S.? I'd have to do it up with some BOS boingers and Clavicua DH cranks ect... I live in a dream world, in real life I struggle to make a mortgage payment:confused:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
It is insane in person. I don't know the math but isn't it over $5 grand for a frame by the time it gets to the U.S.? I'd have to do it up with some BOS boingers and Clavicua DH cranks ect... I live in a dream world, in real life I struggle to make a mortgage payment:confused:
Unless 2$ = 1 pound than no. Last time I checked it retailed around 2.5k Ł which is around the uk price of an evil revolt. The only quarell I have with that frame is the weight that is pretty high.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
its the same way the other round. intense cycles are very expensive here...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Hmm, I don't think that is it. The one I saw has a Fox RP23 and looked like it didn't have room for a coil shock. The shock sat somewhat inside the linkage.
that was their mini-dh bike they showed @ eurobike. forgot to write the name of the bike down. is the same they showed @ interbike? i don't know. but it would be strange to show 2 different bikes @ 2 different bike shows...

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
that was their mini-dh bike they showed @ eurobike. forgot to write the name of the bike down. is the same they showed @ interbike? i don't know. but it would be strange to show 2 different bikes @ 2 different bike shows...
The bike they had at Interbike was a trail/fr bike, 165mm of travel, front derailleur compatible. I can't believe that I didn't take a picture of it and seems like no one else did as well.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Obviously they think the 29er DH bike thing is gonna go somewhere.
Yeah, everything at Interbike is about what is really going to happen. What ever happened to those multi-colored tires from a few years ago. Obviously they though it was gonna go somewhere. :think:

The day the 29er DH bike is main stream is the day I quit and I head off to ride dirt bikes exclusively. Those stupid dirt road bikes suck at tech maneuverability. They have done nothing but straighten turns at my local xc trails. The day I catch anyone straight lining turns at my local DH track because of its poor turning is the day I go postal. :rant:

MSC

Chimp
Oct 8, 2009
Boise
I just came across this thread and thought I would fill you in on the new Hunter from MSC. You should note that I'm with MSC Bikes USA, and we've been testing the Hunter lately. Here's a link to the album, because I can't figure out how to post a pic:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/album.php?albumid=288&pictureid=1386

The Hunter is 170mm travel All Mountain / Enduro bike designed for MegaAvalanche style races, mini DH courses that require a much lighter bike, and for riders who want a bike fully capable of tackling everything the mountain has to offer.

The Hunter rear suspension is based on the MPS design used on the F5 World Cup DH racer. MSC worked closely with Fox in order to take advantage of the capabilities of the RP23 shock with a Boost Valve and High Volume air chamber. I've never felt a bike with an air shock that feels as supple at the top of the stroke. It takes only slight pressure to activate the suspension. Very coil spring like.

Other interesting features include a 67 degree head angle (with a 160mm travel fork), hydroformed tubing, ISCG mounts, post style rear brake mounts, and the cable routing is internal. But please note: All MSC bikes use ROUTED guiding which allows you to get the cable from point A to point B without blowing your brains out. It super easy to install the housing, and gives clean look to the bike. It will also feature routing for seatpost remote, which is a bonus as most companies don't do this and more and more people are using telescoping posts.

More details will be be available on our website soon.

Expect to see the bikes arriving in the States by mid March at the earliest. Since MSC Bikes is new to the U.S. market, we only receive a small number of frames and bikes in the first shipment. They will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. Our dealers are taking pre-orders now.

You can pre-order yours now from www.Joyride-Cycles.com, www.fairwheelbikes.com, and www.adrenalinebikes.com.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

MSC

Chimp
Oct 8, 2009
Boise
Geometry is as follows:

Small (17”) Medium (18.5”)

Top Tube 545.57mm 568.36mm

Top tube real 579mm 604mm

Seat tube 432mm 470mm

Chain stay 434mm 434mm

BB-front axle 684.18mm 710.16mm

Axle to axle 1117mm 1143mm