Quantcast

My new bike and I were hit by a car

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
On friday I was hit by a car when the driver failed to signal and cut across a lane to make a right hand turn, it hurt, and while I am alright and my wounds are healing my bike has some more serious damage ( it's my baby Benotto, pictures of it in it's pristine condition are in another post below).

My fork is dead (pretty much folded in half), the front wheel is a bit out of true, nothing serious, and there are a few superficial scratches here and there. I know that the chances of me finding another Benotto steel fork with the right steerer tube length and all are slim to none, and even if I did it would have to be re-painted to match the color of my frame. Now what I am thinking of doing is going threadless and getting a carbon fiber fork, what are some quality brands? I don't think that price will be an issue since it will be covered by this lady's insurance.

I want to get my bike back to riding order as soon as I can, even though I might not be able to ride it when it's done, it will be there waiting for me when I am ready for it.

Thanks

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Thanks :), My hip bone is bruised and it's pretty swolen, when I walk down stairs I can feel it jiggles, hahaa. Also my knee and ankle have some boobies. I'm actually not quite sure of how, in what way, I hit the ground. All of my injuries seem to be from the impact of the car and not the ground, they are all on my left side, I got hit on my left, and maybe I landed on my left side too :confused: . I was up on my feet pretty quickly and more concerned about my bikes well being than my own, at the time while my adrenaline was still pumping through me. Seeing the crippled bike lying there and the front wheel 20 feet away was pretty concerning, poor baby :(

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Who cares whether you think you can fix it with a new fork. You'll never know how many stress fractures the crash has put in the frame. Neither will her insurance company.

New.
Bike.

[but we're glad to hear you weren't hurt too badly]

[I just checked the pics in the other post. hot bike. I'd get a good bike shop involved with estimates and all that. Like Mike Barry.]

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I'm voting for a new bike too. I'm not saying this to cheat the system either, but if a fork is folded that usually means all those welds into your headtube are in questionable state.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Well what do you think a resonable estimate price would be on the frame, the paint job alone was $450, sure it's an old steel bike but to me it's worth a lot. Looking over the frame more meticulously now I noticed a small hairline crack on lug at the seat stay :(, though it still seems strong I don't think I would trust riding it at this point.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
chriskaiser said:
. Also my knee and ankle have some boobies...
Man I wish my knee and ankle had boobies :cool:

I'm with the others and suggest getting a whole new bike. By the time you get a new headset, frame, fork, you're not going to be that far off the price of whole new bike.

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Umm.. without seeing it I really can't tell you. You really can't have them pay for the extra paint job. It wasn't part of the bike, and was an unneeded add on.

Goto a local bike shop that you trust and ask

Good luck!!

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Here are some pictures, for the crack, I had to turn the brightness and contrast down 'cause I couldn't get a good picture. Also there is a slight 'bow' in the top tube, and scratches on the ergopower and a few other places. :(

splat

Nam I am
Go to 2 Good Bike shops , tell them what happened and what type of Bike you had in detail ( Grupppo , wheels ,etc ,etc ) and have them give you a written estimate at what a "comparable " bike would cost you to replace it. then take fax those 2 estimates to the insurace company . You also may want to have the Bike shops see your current bike ( pics should do ) and have them say if the Bike can be fixed and if it would be the same ? ( they usually say No, for good reason too ) Have them put that in writing , and fax that to the insurace Co. as well.

also watch out for the insuracne adjuster who just says go to wal-mart and get a replacement.

Good luck!

splat

Nam I am
Arsbars said:
You really can't have them pay for the extra paint job. It wasn't part of the bike, and was an unneeded add on.

QUOTE]

actually that is Not true! since it is there fault, it is there responsibility to get it back to the Comparable way it was! If that means the cost of a Custom Paint job So Be it . Provided you have the documentation to prove it . and that it wasn't that long ago.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
splat said:
Go to 2 Good Bike shops , tell them what happened and what type of Bike you had in detail ( Grupppo , wheels ,etc ,etc ) and have them give you a written estimate at what a "comparable " bike would cost you to replace it. then take fax those 2 estimates to the insurace company . You also may want to have the Bike shops see your current bike ( pics should do ) and have them say if the Bike can be fixed and if it would be the same ? ( they usually say No, for good reason too ) Have them put that in writing , and fax that to the insurace Co. as well.
Chriskaiser, what splat said is exactly what I did when I flew off the road w/ my De Rosa in the back of my car. My renter's insurance covered all but the deductable ($500.00). The also let me keep the wrecked bike too.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
I found out the lady who hit me has no insurance, after finaly speaking to the cop who first went on vacation, would not return my calls once he got back and would work only the late hours of the night ...

Just for driving with no insurance she can be charged up to $5000. So the cop told to get some estimates, I already have two but I am also going to the shop that painted it over the summer. I think that they will have the best estimate. The cop told me to call the lady directly and tell her how much she has to pay, if she refuses the amount we will have to go to small claims court and I will sue her, I hope it doesn't need to go there, but I need to be treated fairly and get fully compensated. I don't know how much the cop will charge her for the insurance thing, but wtf is that money even going to go to, our lazy ass police system here? I know I wont see any of that. Meanwhile the lady is probably still driving around in her metal box.

Thanks for all of your advice so far, keep it coming :)
I'm not a very happy camper right now, but I have been riding my winter bike everyday so at least I still have some transport, and when I'm on my bike I'm happy :love:

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
splat said:
Arsbars said:
You really can't have them pay for the extra paint job. It wasn't part of the bike, and was an unneeded add on.

QUOTE]

actually that is Not true! since it is there fault, it is there responsibility to get it back to the Comparable way it was! If that means the cost of a Custom Paint job So Be it . Provided you have the documentation to prove it . and that it wasn't that long ago.

True I never thought of it that way... it's just like upgrading wheels or a stem.