Quantcast

My new house in Butte Montana

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
WOW! That is a really nice place :)

How do the wages there compare with the local housing market? I'm ready for a change.
In my company hourly worker rates are based on local job surveys, salaried workers are paid on profit performance. There is no reason to move to Butte unless your employer makes it worth your while. :biggrin:

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Wow I am surprised they route you through SLC instead of just taking a straight shot from Bozeman to Dallas. You care to mention who you are working for?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I've always been curious about living in Anaconda (as opposed to Butte), as it appears to have more (ATV) trails...

PS. There's a reason it's cheaper to live in Butte than other places
Yes there is. In the 1920s Butte had a population of over 100,000 but today only has a population of 32,000. Most of the houses built to accommodate the former population still exist, upwards of 20% of available viable housing is vacant. There have been less than 50 new housing starts within the city limits during the preceding 12 months.

This excess housing was built to last, the majority are brick and all are on the National Historic Register. Housing in Butte will be very cheap for a very long time.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Yes there is. In the 1920s Butte had a population of over 100,000 but today only has a population of 32,000. Most of the houses built to accommodate the former population still exist, upwards of 20% of available viable housing is vacant. There have been less than 50 new housing starts within the city limits during the preceding 12 months.

This excess housing was built to last, the majority are brick and all are on the National Historic Register. Housing in Butte will be very cheap for a very long time.
You weren't interested in an old mining shack? I spent some time there summer of 2006 - my impression was that things in uptown were improving a bit.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You weren't interested in an old mining shack? I spent some time there summer of 2006 - my impression was that things in uptown were improving a bit.
Things uptown are great - the average cost per square foot is 1/2 of whats available on the flats. The only problem is these houses are huge, old and uninsulated - $500.00 monthly heat bills are not uncommon. The houses are on 35 foot lots, seldom have useful garages or any room to store snowmobiles, trailers, 2nd cars and all the other stuff people like to collect.

Uptown living would make more sense if Butte where constrained by geography. Modern transportation has rendered uptown obsolete, if the houses hadn't been so well built originally they would have long since been bulldozed.

Anyhow, I think I'll be happy with my small house and low heat bill. :)

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
You know I don't think my place is as big as yours and the heat bills are only a little smaller than yours are estimated to be. My place was just built last year too.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Welcome to Montana. Butte is probably the cheapest place in Montana to live. I dont know if I could stand it there though. Dont drink the water. ;) You need to make a trip to Whitefish and ride some great FR trails. Fernie is sweet too. My house is always open to monkeys. Come on up.

All the Montana monkeys need to meet up at Big Sky real soon.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I thought the whole state was big sky???

I'm pretty much booked for the next 90 days, moving the house is going to happen on the 28th.

I'm planning on getting more riding in than I have for a mighty long time, how long before I'm used to the altitude?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i hope you make my annual 4th of July Kettle Crest rides which should be equal drive time for both of us.:)

Best of luck with your new home and life.