Quantcast

My new Stinky Deelux

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
My new 2006 Stinky Deelux:

Set up: all stock except Thomson seatpost and Kenda Nevegal tires. The standover height on the 06 Stinky is super low (The medium frame sports a 15.5" seat tube length). The new machined rocker arms are sweet looking!

The ride:
In the parking lot the bike cornered and accellerated well. After I got it home, I took it out for some urban drops. The fork (888vf) stunk at first and kept bottoming out. After changing out the oil for a heavier wt and adding some volume (a long process of trial and error) the fork actually feels fine now. I plan to upgrade the fork.

Now for the real test: A long and varied day in Auburn...

At the ARD dirt jumps it felt fairly light and balanced. Railing through the berms and pumping between jumps felt great (for a 7 inch fully).

Next, I took it off a 10'+ drop. I was a little amped and overshot the transition. The bike took it like a champ and I held my line. The next run at it produced the same result...amped, overshot, but (thankfully) stomped the landing.

Now for the pedaling... we climbed to the top of the Culvert trail. The DHX shock filtered out all noticable pedal feedback but I still couldn't help but notice that the bike does weigh 41lbs+. Thank God for the 24X32 granny!

The Culvert trail was a blast on the Stinky! Great small bump sensitivity as well as swallowing bigger rocks with ease. We emptied back out on the lower confluence trail. The Stinky sprinted well and pedaled through the rough sections easily. The front end was easily hoisted over larger obstacles and the BB/pedal clearance seemed adequate.

Now more pedalling... we grunted up the fireroad on ****side and then returned on a trail that was super tight and technical. THe stinky exuded all kinds of confidence...what a blast.

Bottom line: Great Bike, great build kit, buy it! :thumb: (but upgrade the fork).

Aug 24, 2005
i had that fork on my new stab deluxe and it sucked but i upgraded to a 888rc and it works awesome it makes the bike preform better

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
A stinky hitting the auburn DJs? I tried the middle line with my Transistion Dirtbag and learned real quick that those jumps definently favor the HT crowd.

In anycase, I've always loved the new stinky design. I hope it works out well. . . I might see you around in auburn.

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
morethanjake543 said:
I've always loved the NEW stinky design.
what is new? kona has run the rocker arm design to ground. i used to collect bike catalogs from bike shops so I can read them while busy in the john but i always pass up on the kona at the dealers bec all i have to do is look at my 1997 kona catalog and i'm all caught up with the 06 range. i hope kona does something nicer next year like maybe do a pullshock or something. norco is up there too.
nice ride, but it's just a nicer 1998 kona stinky 5.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
Micro-Sanjay said:
what is new? kona has run the rocker arm design to ground. i used to collect bike catalogs from bike shops so I can read them while busy in the john but i always pass up on the kona at the dealers bec all i have to do is look at my 1997 kona catalog and i'm all caught up with the 06 range. i hope kona does something nicer next year like maybe do a pullshock or something. norco is up there too.
nice ride, but it's just a nicer 1998 kona stinky 5.
hey, if it wins the WC...

nice ride. how does it corner on dirt? does it feel low and stable?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
That looks sharp. I dig the Stinky, they work well and are tough as nails. I rocked a 2001 as my first real bike and it was sick then too.

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
morethanjake543 said:
A stinky hitting the auburn DJs? I tried the middle line with my Transistion Dirtbag and learned real quick that those jumps definently favor the HT crowd.

In anycase, I've always loved the new stinky design. I hope it works out well. . . I might see you around in auburn.
Definately more work to pump the transitions on the Stinky...I usually DJ on my SC Heckler but I'm too stoked on my new Stinky...I ride it for everything right now...Urban, DJ, XC, etc. (Side note: I don't have mad skills for DJ'ing or anything...I'm an old guy who can't do more than 3-4 of the Auburn DJ's in any one run before pulling off. I do have a blast though).

Update on the VF:
Actually, now that the fork is broken in, it doesn't feel that bad (or I'm losing my reference for what a good fork feels like...). I'm still saving for an RC2X... I'm sure that will make a big difference.

CORNERING:
The bike corners on offcamber fireroads very well. I can really press into the turns and tires hook up and stay on line.