Quantcast

My New Whip

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
lol, you kids and yer fancy cars. Does it have a nice stereo at least?

How fast does that thing pull 0 to 60?

I know cars are classier than motorcycles, but it seems like if you really wanna go fast, just get a bike. A nice sport bike is what, $685,000 cheaper? I've had more friends die in high speed car wrecks than in motorcycle wrecks. Neither one is really safe, but one costs more and is more comfy in the rain. Advantage to the motorcycle: you're less likely to ride it, let alone go fast, in the rain. Plus it's cheaper, accelerates faster (?), and girls are not only scared, but clutching onto you for dear life with a large object vibrating between their legs.

Disadvantage of the motorcycle: it's harder to ride drunk, there's no spot for yer MTB, and there's no music.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
might have been posted, but im lazy and six pages is a lot to read threw. WHY IN THE HELL IS IT AN AUTOMATIC. **** its a sports car that in itself is a discrace. ohh and if that thing can blow a enzo ferrari away then ill give you 100 dollars.:rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bikenweed said:
I've had more friends die in high speed car wrecks than in motorcycle wrecks.
:rolleyes:

Did you really just imply that cars are just as, if not more, dangerous than motorcycles?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
binary visions said:
:rolleyes:

Did you really just imply that cars are just as, if not more, dangerous than motorcycles?
In a wreck, a car is way safer. I won't argue that, it's common sense. But from my experiences, most of the tragic car wrecks happened with either drunk drivers or rainy conditions, or a combo of the two.

On the bike, you get a lot more pressure from just about everyone to stay sober. You're wearing the jacket, carrying the helmet, it's obvious how you got to the party. When you show up in a car full of people, not only are there a ton of distractions, but since it seems oh so easy to just drive slowly, it's a lot harder to stay sober. The social attitude, at least with my distinct high school crews and college crews, towards driving drunk versus riding drunk, was huge. This might change as my pals age, and more and more start to ride, but in the last five years, it’s been pretty taboo to ride drunk.

Hopefully, if you have a quick bike, you'll also have a cheap car or truck for doing practical things. If it's raining and dark out, that old, beat 4 wheeler seems a lot nicer when the other option is the bike.

Neither of these reasons are fully concrete, but they've kept a lot of my friends alive for a lot longer. It’s all an opinion, it might not be true for you, but so far it’s been true for us.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
bikenweed said:
It’s all an opinion, it might not be true for you, but so far it’s been true for us.
Gotcha, and I'm glad you've all stayed safe.

I just don't worry so much about the guy driving the bike to stay safe. He knows he's got a lot to lose, and is probably pretty adept at handling his bike. I worry about all the other idiot drivers, all the drunks, all the distracted people. What might be a "fender-bender" (as opposed to the tragic wrecks you talk about) with a car, could easily be a near-fatal or fatal accident if one of the parties is riding a bike.

Sorry, thought you were one of these morons who is convinced that motorcycles are safer than cars just because there are fewer motorcycle wrecks on a daily basis - with no regard to the fact that motorcycles account for a very small percentage of the vehicles on the road.

Anyhow, we now return you to your regularly scheduled, incredibly pimp car posted at the beginning of this thread :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kevin said:
I think gemini was just trying to be cool since for a sportscar magazine reading enthousiast its cool to hate on Mercedes.
That said Im not a fan of Mercedes at all.
But the SLR is one hell of a race car...
I don't know much about that Atom, but I think it's pretty awesome that you can get a Porsche GT3 that'll hang with the big boys for a fraction of the price :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Brian HCM#1 said:
To some people $700K on a car is nothing.
Not everyone can afford to live in Livermore. Some of us live in places like Pleasant Hill, Concord, or San Francisco...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think it looks cool, but it's not my cup-o-tea. On the topic of cars, this jackass I work with just picked up an '05 350Z. He got neither the turbo, or the 6 speed. He only paid $22k for it though.

I like the Z a lot. I wouldn't mind getting a turbo 6 speed for sure. As a daily driver, it is sporty and plenty fast for me. Even if I had 1.2 Mil from selling Canada to France, I doubt I would spend $700k of it on a Benz unless it was rolling some 22" red Alligator skin wheels baby!

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
jimmydean said:
Even if I had 1.2 Mil from selling Canada to France, I doubt I would spend $700k of it on a Benz unless it was rolling some 22" red Alligator skin wheels baby!
Thanks for the new sig.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Kevin said:
I think gemini was just trying to be cool since for a sportscar magazine reading enthousiast its cool to hate on Mercedes.
That said Im not a fan of Mercedes at all.
But the SLR is one hell of a race car...

i dont read sports car magazines. And why would i be trying to impress people over the internet? I'm not THAT insecure. I just don't like mercedes at all, and I love mclarens. And mercedes has raped the "brand" or mclaren, thats all.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
binary visions said:
I don't know much about that Atom, but I think it's pretty awesome that you can get a Porsche GT3 that'll hang with the big boys for a fraction of the price :D

yeah man diminshing returns. Most of these cars you're not nessecarily buying for performance. Cause if you really wanted to you can spend a fraction of the price on tuning up some ricer or vette or something and keep up with a quarter million dollar car no prob, granted they're not gonna handle nearly as well, but they'll catch up in straightaways if u give them enough power.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I like the side exit exhaust.

I can't believe how ugly the wheels are.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Sherpa said:
This entire thread and noone has said anything about how ugly Don is. :nonono:
I was going to say...who's that queer behind the wheel?

And if you can afford to own one of those, why in God's name do you live in Illinois?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
gemini2k said:
yeah man diminshing returns. Most of these cars you're not nessecarily buying for performance. Cause if you really wanted to you can spend a fraction of the price on tuning up some ricer or vette or something and keep up with a quarter million dollar car no prob, granted they're not gonna handle nearly as well, but they'll catch up in straightaways if u give them enough power.
Dan, you dont seem to quite understand what youre talking about. Sure you might be able to tune up a vette or a ricer to maybe be as fast as this thing, but thats not the point. No ricer could ever have the suspension or handling this thing has, nor could a vette. The brakes on the SLR are more than a whole corvette costs, so it would cost a hell of a lot to make one of those cars approach this thing. It does have an automatic, but i dont think any person could possibly shift as smoothly as the computer does on this thing. We did a 3.0 0-60 run in it this morning, now if that isnt fast enough for you and requires a stickbox or flappy paddles then you should buy an actual F1 car. The entire frame is carbon fiber, every body pannel is carbon fiber, the seats are carbon fiber. This is not just some average Mercedes, it is a supercar and you just cant seem to grasp that. It does have the glitz and glamor of a benz, but when it comes down to it, its built like a racecar. The entire exhaust system on this car is stainless, and then enclosed in a bubble of aluminum/silver that has air flowing through it to cool exhaust tempatures. It rides like a plank, has very firm racing seats, and has an interior noise level higher than an old dump truck. it may be a benz, but dont knock the performance of this vehicle. Unless youve got an Enzo, or CGT then dont talk sh1t. And oh ya, this thing is a good investment, it probably wont lose value at all.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Curb Hucker said:
read the post asshat, its not mine
I know, but YOU live in Illinois, which theoretically would mean the owner also lives in Illinois. Coincidence? I think not. :love:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
chicodude said:
I know, but YOU live in Illinois, which theoretically would mean the owner also lives in Illinois. Coincidence? I think not. :love:
I'm not sure what ure getting at? That people in IL can't afford supercars?