Quantcast

My return to XC

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not sure how long time its been but I have an XC bike again. After two weekends riding this on Long Island I had to get a XC bike again:

That bike was such a blast on the fast and twisty Rockey Point trail. Big part of the fun was due to the 800mm bar on the bike which made it ride like a DH bike. As much as I liked the HT i still am a big fan of full suspension so I got this

The bike came with a 700mm bar which felt strange and I quickly upgraded to 760mm bare donated to me by Kidwithbike

Not sure I will go wider bar at least not for now. Even tough I still have a lot of my riding gear I need new short and shoes and maybe a little gear for the winter time.

Love riding XC again and the new GT was a blast to ride from day one it took now time to get comfortable on the bike.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
@profro lol at the Evil jersey its under the IBM jersey of course

@Sandwich you should try its brilliant I am not kidding. The HT has a 800mm bar on it. I think its the secret to how you get 29r to ride really well

@Jon I have no idea what you are talking about but I want to ride some new place so let me know if you want to ride. I need to plan something for this weekend. I sold the DH bike and I do not plan on riding anymore DH this year.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
6 mile = 6 mile run trails. 6 mile run park in north brunswick, NJ. awesome trails. very little elevation, but lots of turning, and lots of fun. i moved to philly, so those trails are a little farther for me now.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have not ridden much XC the last 10 years so I am very new to the XC options in our area. Moved again?
haha yea moved again. both the soon to be mrs and i got new jobs. funny thing is, the town we're living in now, suburb of philly, i used to live here back in 2006

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
@Sandwich you should try its brilliant I am not kidding. The HT has a 800mm bar on it. I think its the secret to how you get 29r to ride really well
different strokes for different folks. My 720s punch a lot of trees. I love the feel of wide bars on a DH bike, but at some point the value of additional high speed control drops off rapidly. That's my opinion though!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Its has as much to do with leverage at low speed and it just forces you to ride it like a DH bike but agree what ever work for you. If you ride really tight trails it a problem but I don't really see that happening much around here.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
different strokes for different folks. My 720s punch a lot of trees. I love the feel of wide bars on a DH bike, but at some point the value of additional high speed control drops off rapidly. That's my opinion though!
there are some of us who find wider bars more comfortable due to repeated shoulder injuries.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Don't punch trees then ;) But yeah, all the trails I ride I have no problem get around trees with my 745s, so it's a non-issue for me. Tried 780s for a bit from my dh bike, that wasn't working so picked up a set of 745mm v1s and haven't looked back.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't punch trees then ;) But yeah, all the trails I ride I have no problem get around trees with my 745s, so it's a non-issue for me. Tried 780s for a bit from my dh bike, that wasn't working so picked up a set of 745mm v1s and haven't looked back.
but they were insulting my mother! srs the twisty **** out here is not a match for big bars, and I'd rather run narrower bars with bar ends if I needed extra climbing torque.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
cant believe i am posting in a thread where some one seriously advocated bar ends. :confused:

Claus! you make some great points about the stability and performance advantages of the wider bars. bike looks great, you should call me to arrange a visit to the tower.
I also have some trails to show you close by, and we should road ride I have been getting a bit more time on that bike again.

cptn spauldin miss you too brother.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
cant believe i am posting in a thread where some one seriously advocated bar ends. :confused:

Claus! you make some great points about the stability and performance advantages of the wider bars. bike looks great, you should call me to arrange a visit to the tower.
I also have some trails to show you close by, and we should road ride I have been getting a bit more time on that bike again.

cptn spauldin miss you too brother.
He he bar ends. I am always ready to ride and should hopefully have a road bike again next week.