Quantcast

My rides, part of the Transition Family

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
that covert is gona look hot.

that's what i'm hoping. not super fond of the white color, but with the silver/black/gold stuff i've got going on, i thought it would look better than the blue or orange they offered. the black cranks are getting replaced with some silver ones, but everything else is staying the same.

coming off a straight single pivot. don't know if i'll notice a huge difference other than from 6.4" down to 5.5" travel. though i guess the linkage driven single piv will be less flexy. nearly identical sizing and geometry from the previous bike. i can't say as i noticed the old frame being flexy, but we'll see in comparison.

i'll post up some completed shots. ought to have her done friday afternoon.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
The Covert is such a nice bike, my buddy just got his built up and rode it for the first time last weekend, he built his up burly, and he cant say enough about it, it handled everything he could throw at it, including a 7 foot drop to a tranny. he also said it pedals like crazy and feels really good in the cock pit. its everything he wanted. im trying to get him to post some pictures, the bike rocks.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Awesome! I should be getting that exact frame w/ a RP23 shortly! Can't wait!! :)
Enjoy! It's a nice looking frame. Welds are a little chunky, but so long as they hold the tubes together, I don't care! Eyeballing it, everything seems nicely aligned, no sticky pivots or anything. The seattube reaming/headtube & BB facing/chasing this afternoon should reveal any funkiness, but I don't think their will be any issues.

Even at it's fairly low price, it's still the least I've ever spent on a frame, cheap bastard that I am. Even my Peyto frame was snagged on "sale" from Paul, the builder. It was in one of his local shops as a demo, and he was selling the frame for half his regular price.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
The Covert is such a nice bike, my buddy just got his built up and rode it for the first time last weekend, he built his up burly, and he cant say enough about it, it handled everything he could throw at it, including a 7 foot drop to a tranny. he also said it pedals like crazy and feels really good in the cock pit. its everything he wanted. im trying to get him to post some pictures, the bike rocks.
Cool! That's the sort of thing it's nice to hear about a frame you just bought!

The Preston was really tempting, but for my size and weight, the Covert should be more than durable. My riding tends to be mostly smoothe, punctuated by moments of hackness, so no real worries about it. If I couldn't break the Bullit clone in two years of hackness, this should be fine.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Awesome! I should be getting that exact frame w/ a RS Pearl 3.1 shortly! Can't wait!! :)

Gaaaahhgrrrrrr! ****in' Manitou hardware will show up whenever it shows up. Ordered a pushed Fox RP-23 that might show up Thursday. Or might not. Called Fox and am paying $15 for them to 2-day Air me a set of reducers. Just needs that one little part.....

Then posted on the front range board begging and pleading for someone to lend me a shock for a little bit, so I can actually take this bike to Moab. Hopefully the stuff from Fox will actually get here in time to use whatever loaner I can scrounge up.

7.5" x 2" if anyone on the Front Range has anything handy...... 8mm x 46mm & 8mm x 22mm hreducers needed. Preferably air; easier to setup a loaner shock that way, not having to worry about having the right spring weight.
I can't even sit on the damn thing to check out the fit. I literally won't get to ride it until I'm hitting dirt in Moab. Better take the spare parts and tool bin along....

Everything built up super smoothly. Man, after how easy this one was, I'm going to have every new frame chased and faced from now on. Got the Bb spacers setup right even on the first try.

Attachments

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
new bikey me likey. not really freeride, not really xc. that other marketing catchphrase that i shant utter here, i guess is the right class for this bike. feels much, much better than the old bullit clone, even having one short shakedown/tweak stuff cruise in.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
new bikey me likey. not really freeride, not really xc. that other marketing catchphrase that i shant utter here, i guess is the right class for this bike. feels much, much better than the old bullit clone, even having one short shakedown/tweak stuff cruise in.

Awesome! Nice to see some ride/first impressions reports starting to trickle out about the Covert. Makes me jones to get mine all that much more!!!! :monkeydance:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Cool pics! Glad you like the bike. It almost seems like you run your riser bars tilted forward like a trials rider might use them - is this so? And if so, is it just a feel thing?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Cool pics! Glad you like the bike. It almost seems like you run your riser bars tilted forward like a trials rider might use them - is this so? And if so, is it just a feel thing?
no trials, but yeah, a feel thing. i like them swept up much more, and to get that, running a little shorter stem than normal withthe bars rotated forward gets them just how i like them. that way i still am stretched as far as i like as well as have the upsweep at the grip portion.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
Yipee!! my bike just showed up today from Transition, BottleRocket with complete build kit. i cant wait to put it together, sitting here at work is killing me. ill post some pictures as soon as im done.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
ok, its not done but its close, i didnt have the cable houseing so i couldnt finish and i dont have my Diety bars and seat yet but i will soon. anyway its set up with a Fox Talas 36R, Fox DHX5.0 Avid Juicy 7's with the Dangerboy levers. Sram x-9 pods and drive train. Saint cranks, e-13DRS chain guide. Crank Brothers 50/50 pedals. TBC Stem and bars, TBC white wheelset and seat. the color is the new Pink and its super nice, the pictures dont do it justice. try not to drool on the keyboard.

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
ok, its not done but its close, i didnt have the cable houseing so i couldnt finish and i dont have my Diety bars and seat yet but i will soon. anyway its set up with a Fox Talas 36R, Fox DHX5.0 Avid Juicy 7's with the Dangerboy levers. Sram x-9 pods and drive train. Saint cranks, e-13DRS chain guide. Crank Brothers 50/50 pedals. TBC Stem and bars, TBC white wheelset and seat. the color is the new Pink and its super nice, the pictures dont do it justice. try not to drool on the keyboard.

Very nice bottlerocket - will it be purpose specific or will you use it to do a little bit of everything?

BTW - the Zoke is on the way back to you via USPS.

Best.

Mark

Jakobr

Chimp
Feb 14, 2007
denmark
hmm, coil -and then air in the front. thats what i was going for untill i read somewhere to pick either air or coil for both ends. but can't remember why. anyone? thanks!
nice pink br btw!!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
scrub, give us some dirt on that covert. what size is it? how tall are you? weight? what type of rides have you taken it on? how does it pedal? how aggro have you gone with it?

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
I was on the fence for the rear, i ended up going with the coil because its what im used to and i have no complaints. i went air in the front because i loved my talas on my Preston and i wanted the travel adjustments, i always have to ride to the places i like to go, i also like to mess around with urban and dj and haveing the front lower feels better. this bike is ment to do all.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i'm another guy on a transition and an IH Bakuto, and so is a buddy of mine. weird.

how is the manitou suspension on that beast treating you?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
ditched asap for an 04 drop off triple. the extra inch dialed the geo for me. I kept the manitou around for a while as a dj fork (just pumped tons of air into it) but then sold it off to a buddy and got a stance flow on the cheap. not the best fork but durable, thats for sure.

Biflam

Chimp
Mar 6, 2007
In France we Luv BottleRockets to !

Mine:

Very lovely, I do Xc and DH with and I was very surprised to see how good it goes up, and goes down !!! the bike I expected.

Biflam

Chimp
Mar 6, 2007
yeah the new gloss pink, is very pretty, but i like your color to ;).

girls are crazy when they see this pink :lighten:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
My Covert frame and Fox Float 140 RLC came in today!!! :banana: Still waiting on the build kit from BTI, but I'll try to snap some pics of the frame when I swing by the LBS tomorrow!!! :)

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Sick Covert scrub, thanks for the trail pics. Now I want one even more...

and nice BR, mjr
EDIT: oops; sorry 'bout that. all that was meant for mandown's questions.

One local ride, and six days of beating on it in Moab later... I love it. I think there are some more pics of it in action to come; rode with MK_ yesterday, and we both took quite a few pics. In six days, I managed to hit: Slickrock loop, Sovereign(twice), Amasa Back up and back, Gold Bar Rim singletrack/Portal Trail, Amasa Back/Rockstacker/Jackson's singletrack, and Porc Rim from the bottom up to the diving board and back down. The bike rocked on all of it.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=275568

Feels very, very good at speed and in the air (well, the little i get) Much stiffer rear end than my old bike. The rear tire stays in traction better while climbing. Hold a corner much better, and lands/does off camber lines much nicer. I can only attribute this to the stiffer back end, since the parts spec is just swapped over from the old frame.

Very flickable, easy to toss around into and out of corners, little hip moves, j-hopping over things. Probably could have gone for the medium frame, but I can get the small to fit me well, and that just makes it easier to do that sort of stuff. I'd like to think myself a pretty smooth rider, but certainly have my hack moments; the bike sucked all those up just fine.

Didn't hit anything larger than 4' drop wise, but numerous 2-3' ers without any issues. Came within a few mm of using full travel quite a lot, but not quite all the way. Feels fine with about 25% sag right now. I think I can drop a few more psi in the main chamber, and still be alright; mget it down to about 30% sag and still likely not have any bottoming problems with the Swinger 4-Way Air. (i weigh about 170# all geared up on the bike) Rolling into steep stuff was no problem either.

A few issues getting my fit/drivetrain tweaked, but those were due to my setup, not the bike. Bent the rear mech hanger in pretty decently, but managed to slowly bring it back in line. Shifting was fine afterwards, and it didn't re-bend... (was sweating that one; the spare hangers i'd ordered showed up in the mail at home while i was in moab) None of the pivots/suspension mount stuff loosened up or had any noise issues.

Just put on a Rock Shox Pearl MC3.1 rear shock; split ride time between it and the Swinger to come. The one that I like the least will be in the parts bin as a spare/backup shock. The 8mm mounting boltage is nice; no foreseeing bent or broken hardware here.

Very nice with the Lyrik up front; roughtly a 67.?something head angle. climbed very nicely. I only dropped the travel down for one longer/smoother climb all week. I prefer to climb with the angles how I'm used to the rest of the time, and only use the travel reduction when things get really long/steep/sloggy, ro on the road. My other normal ride is a hardtail with a Pike, had angle 69 degrees, so climbing with this bike at only a little slacker was no biggie.

Perfect for me/how I ride/what I do on a bike. I'd probably go for the Preston if I wanted slacker/burlier/desired a longer fork. One of the other guys along just built up a new Preston (replacing and 06 Banshee Chapparal) and he says he prefers the Preston by a lot so far.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Let me know how you like the Pearl 3.1, that's what is going on mine.
Felt great in the parking lot, FWIW. Going to try for a late afternoon quicky ride tomorrow afternoon at the local proving grounds. Short, but long enough for me to feel like I got a ride, and to get the new shock dialled in/see how it compares to the Swinger.