Quantcast

My shock's extended??

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I believe the correct shock for a GT DHi is 9"x2.75" - does anyone know if that's an exact measurement?

The one I have (a rockshox pro deluxe) is actually 9 3/16" long (233mm).

Also I noticed that if I flip the shock mounting plates around into the steeper headangle position I can't actually fit the shock unless I compress it by about 2mm, suggesting it is in fact too long.

Could this have happened due to something failing internally - it still seems to work? Or maybe the old one blew and this has been found on some other bike?

Shaft length seems to be 77mm, though in addition to the bottom out bumper there's also a rigid 6mm thick plastic washer on the shaft.

What's going on :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
or if you have way to much preload on the shock for a while, it can actually strech it
hmm, cheers - just to put myself in the clear here, I bought this bike second hand a few months ago, so if someone's had too much preload on it, well it wasn't me :)

I can get a good deal on manitou swingers in 222 x 70mm.

That's a full half inch shorter than what I have at the moment - but maybe only 1/4" shorter than what I should have.

What do you reckon, worth going for?

Actually thinking about it I'm concerned that bottoming out a 222mm shock could cause the dogboone to "lock out" - that wouldn't be good.... bum :)