Quantcast

My standby feature no longer works...

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
So I bought a new computer and now my standby feature doesn't work. I can't figure out how to get it going again...maybe I need to down load some kind of driver or patch??....It's a no name tower w/ my old HP keyboard...any advice....D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Did the standby mode ever work on your new computer?

FYI, I find standby modes to be awful. Much of the time the computer starts back up slow and crashy, sometimes causes headaches with certain pieces of hardware, especially network adapters... Much better to just let the hard drives spin down and the monitor go off, or shut the whole thing down.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am an old time computer admin, and the idea that you have an incomplete shutdown seems horrendous.

Sit through a fsck of a 32gb drive for a hour, and you want to "sync ; sync ; halt" your computer every time.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well... With journaled filesystems in widespread use, fsck is less of a nightmare than it used to be.

Suspending a system doesn't usually do anything bad to the disk data, but bringing it back up can result in a horribly buggy system until the next reboot.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With all the stupid spy software my company loads on my computer it takes 15-20 minutes to boot up from a shutdown. I go weeks without ever shutting down, the undock function doesn't work so I use standby so I can remove it from the dock and keep up powered up overnight withouth having to waste a good chunk of my day starting up.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well... With journaled filesystems in widespread use, fsck is less of a nightmare than it used to be.
I don't trust those Journaling File Systems. If you ask me, the only file system I trust is Veritas Volume Manager and File System.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Spam is when you don't want it. You want Symantec/Veritas products. You need Norton 360. You need Netbackup 6.0.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Did the standby mode ever work on your new computer?

QUOTE]

Nope, but it worked on my old 'puter just fine. Although I bought it as an HP package deal so everything was HP. I just thought standby conserves energy and makes it so there's less wear and tear on computer parts vs. starting it up cold. Is this not correct?....D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Nope, but it worked on my old 'puter just fine. Although I bought it as an HP package deal so everything was HP. I just thought standby conserves energy and makes it so there's less wear and tear on computer parts vs. starting it up cold. Is this not correct?....D
Standby is a funny thing. Some computers it works fine on, some computers it's flaky.

You're right, a standby does create less wear and tear than a cold boot, especially in the power supply. I assume your chief concern is trying to conserve energy, correct? Your computer, in an idle state and after the drives have been shut off due to inactivity, almost certainly consumes less electricity than a lightbulb depending on what you have. I leave mine running all the time, the monitor and the hard drives shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

So, let's troubleshoot. What happens when you try to put the computer in standby?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Standby is a funny thing. Some computers it works fine on, some computers it's flaky.

You're right, a standby does create less wear and tear than a cold boot, especially in the power supply. I assume your chief concern is trying to conserve energy, correct? Your computer, in an idle state and after the drives have been shut off due to inactivity, almost certainly consumes less electricity than a lightbulb depending on what you have. I leave mine running all the time, the monitor and the hard drives shut off after 30 minutes of inactivity.

So, let's troubleshoot. What happens when you try to put the computer in standby?

nothing it's like the screen blinks for a second then everything is the same as it was....I'm thinking about what you said and maybe I should just set my computer so the monitor and hard drive shut off after a period of time...D