Quantcast

My Sunday I Horse Thread .

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
Greetings all bikers out there :)
Short intro on me
I have been biking all my life, since beginning of life... Now after some money saving i am looking for some more serious riding! :weee:
Since i am a machine engineer student i dont have much spare time on me, and i have a 650 Supermotard to take care of aswell. And i had to quit Baseball to preoritize my biking, and some serious DH. but mostly back and forward to school.

Anyways i am about to buy a bike next week but its standing between two bikes and the price is same on the both :) 2400 usd. Så i am trying to make a good choice since i like the bikes quite equal. So i need little help here .
Or should i go for a Specialized Demo 7 ? For a price of 1800 USD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bike 1: Ghost FR Norhtshore 600 2009
SPECS :

FRAME 7005 T6 DB Active DRG
FORK Fox RC2 40 travel 200mm
SHOCK Fox VAN-R Rear travel - 180 mm
R. DERAILLEUR SRAM X.9 Medium cage
SHIFTER SRAM X.9 Trigger
BRAKE LEVER Avid Code
BRAKES Avid Code 203 mm F+R
STEM Syncros FR 1.5"
HANDLEBAR Syncros O/S Riser, 670 mm
HEADSET FSA The Pig Onepoint5
SEATPOST GID 31.4mm
SADDLE Ghost Cromo
PEDALS Ghost Platform with replaceable pins
CRANKSET Truvativ Hussefelt
CASSETTE SPROCKET
Shimano Deore XT 11-32T
BOTTOM BRACKET Truvativ Howitzer
RIMS Mavic 321 disc
HUBS MTB 6 bolt
TYRES Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4
COLOUR Olive Matte
WEIGHT 16.5 kg

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bike 2: Iron Horse Sunday Elite 2008

weight :18.8 kg
Frame: 8" TRAVEL dw-link DOWNHILL FRAME.
Fork : ROCK SHOX TOTEM SOLO AIR, 180MM TRAVEL.
Rear shock : Rox Shox something...
Handlebar : FUNN FATBOY, 30MM RISE, 710MM WIDTH, 31.8MM CLAMP, W/ Grip : FUNN COMBAT GRIPS
Stem : FUNN RIPPA 1.5, 31.8MM CLAMP
Styrelager : ORBIT EXTREME PRO 1.5
Krank: FUNN HOOKA, 165MM
RINGS: E-THIRTEEN GUIDE RING, 36T
Pedals : CRANK BROS 5050XX PLATFORM
Rear Gear : SRAM X.9 SHORT CAGE
SHIFTER SRAM X.9 TRIGGER
Breaks : AVID CODE W/ 203MM ROTORS
Tyres : MAXXIS MINION F DH 3C COMPOUND, 2.7" FRONT/2.5" REAR

Last edited:

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
I hear rumors that the Rock Shox Air Fork isnt able to keep up with the rest of the Iron Horse ....

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Of your choices, I've only ridden the sunday.... As much as I love that bike, I'd say go with the Ghost.

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
As a engineer student I just cant keep my mind wondering about this ugly construction. marked in red angle. This could have been welded in SOOO much nice and even stronger construction i cant belive they left it looking like this. shame

Last edited:

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
on a side note, there is NO way that Ghost is 16.6 Kgs.. not with the stuff and tires that thing has on.

of those two, i would go for the sunday. it may not have a fork thats as good as the ghost.

but otherwise its a superior bike, and one ou can upgrade on later.

If in doubt, have a look at sicklines refurb of an old sunday ..

Ill agree the ghost looks tempting with the equipment, but seriously, its no where near as good as the sunday.

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
Allmost by looking at a bike i can tell what will feel more comfortable and that is the IH.
But i will not have more money to spend on upgrading the bike....so the parts i buy it with, they are gonna have to last for a while....So from what i have read and researched is that the Ghost is more expensive and more quality , and with This one in particular has FOX shock in rear and in front. witch is good quality AND i think IRON H is been used MUCH harder than the Ghost. .... IH has 2 previous owners while Ghost has a 16 year old boy as only owner and used only one season .

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Allmost by looking at a bike i can tell what will feel more comfortable and that is the IH.
But i will not have more money to spend on upgrading the bike....so the parts i buy it with, they are gonna have to last for a while....So from what i have read and researched is that the Ghost is more expensive and more quality , and with This one in particular has FOX shock in rear and in front. witch is good quality AND i think IRON H is been used MUCH harder than the Ghost. .... IH has 2 previous owners while Ghost has a 16 year old boy as only owner and used only one season .
Sounds like you made up your mind go for the ghost.

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
If i did buddy i wouldnt ask for help hehe :)
i Love the Elite frame while i love the Ghost components....
My main question is what do i get most for the money...since i pay same for them both

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
you should go for what you want ofc :)

but i gotta say i honestly think the IH is a better choice by far.

And as for the frames, etc, i would not trust the sellers word on how much its been used, they claim a weight that is at least 2kgs or 4lbs less then the actual weight.

But, regardless of what you pick, if your happy that is all that counts :)

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
Of course its up to me :)
But since theese two bikes are not to familiar in my knowledge i therfor need help or guide for what choice ;)
But again like i said i wish the Elite had the Ghost parts .... that a perfect match .
Thank you all for the contribution on suggestion but im gonna leave the thread for a cupple of more days before i make the purchase :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Buy the ghost sell the frame if there is even a market for it and buy a sunday frame.
If theres no market for the ghost there may be a reason. As far as being better quality then the sunday im just not seeing that.
Too many welds = weak link

or if your in position buy em both swap parts and sell of the ghost.

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
I was thinking maybe buy the Sunday and maybe buy a RC2 fork from US on ebay....
But there are many factors playing their role in this case, both how old bikes are, how hard used, how many users, parts quality , my comfort of the bike and more
But mainly im asking for help to state witch one is most bike for the money :)

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
buy the sunday. Its got better geo and sundays last forever. You can change the parts as you go if need be.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
The Sunday is the better bike hands down!!! The only thing that is alot better on the ghost is the fork. Ya some parts are better or worse but they are comparable. Seriously you are talking about a wc winning Sunday or a cookie cutter looking ghost.

Listen to people... Nobody has said get the ghost, it's awesome...

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
Ya some parts are better or worse but they are comparable.
Thank you for reply.
So by this statement you mean that they are in same quality class when it comes to parts ? exept im sure Ghost has much better front and rear suspension

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
ok heres my last input on this one.

if you compare the parts bit by bit.

the only part that is significantly better on the ghost - the fork.

The part thats 5x better on the sunday is.. the sunday, those two frames simply dont compare. And as for durability- seriously those sunday frames have proven that they can outlast most others, even when being beaten week in and out.

As for rear shock/suspension, the sunday has a "rockshox of some sort on", im guessing a vivid 5.1 or similar, a shock thats definately superior to that fox van. + its easy to service yourself as well.

If you wanna pose and get lots of "nice fork" comments then get the ghost ;)

If you want to ride hard and not worry too much, get the sunday- there is a reason they are still all over even years after they stopped making them, and people still get old ones and rebuild.

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
Best input so far :) thanks Deano for beeing so specific...
Looks like the kid of Ghost bike is demanding more than 2400 usd ... and thats my limite so from this point of view looks like i am getting the Elite. and hopefully one day get this fork ;)

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
obviously
If you are trying to be a smartass in some sort of way , i am not tolerating that since i have just been asking nicely for help. And seccond of all my english is not to quality so there might be some things i dont quite understand so please respect that. And if i have missunderstood something than i must appologize

On topic. Ghost bike have been Sold! so the bet is on the Sunday, BUT the question NOW is , is the sunday worth 2400 Bucks, even that it has been used well and hard. or should i maybe find a bike in US or Canada where i can find Much better bike for same or little higher price ? Any feedbacks on this are apriciated :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh yeah, that website looks legit:

Mission

To the company of the thing service with the solution that spread everywhere by putting the Best service forward.
Through all these years, our goal has been to gain the trust of our customers. In order to achieve this, we know that we must offer competitive pricing, but we also know that low prices alone will not make our business superior

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I bought one of those Totems off of a Sunday Elite a few years ago to use for DH racing
Fantastic fork. Certainly better than a boxxer with 32mm stanchions.
Don't be afraid of the fact that it's a single crown.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i agree. I rode a totem on a demo bike, so while I can't attest to its longevity, I can say the ride was well controlled and stiffness wasn't an issue. You may want something else/more travel for full on DH racing, but for bike park shenanigans, the totem was tops.

I will say, from recently trying to sell my sunday and find something similarly competitive with good geo, weight, and strength, a used sunday is an incredible deal. I couldn't sell my frame for $650...I think you'd have to pay at least double or even triple that to get a frame with similar qualities, and that's used.

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
Thank you verry much for great reply both of you
I will check out the bike coming friday :)
and its gonna go down for 2400 usd but first i will test it for wearing on most components ...if it has no defect components and it has work painting i will go for the deal most likley, so i can powdercoat it later on :)

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
I have got that exact same Sunday - an 08 Elite.

A wee tip on the Totems - pull the compression damper out and remove the "floodgate" valve, it opens up the low speed compression circuit and helps with small bump compliance.

Hope it works out for you :thumb:

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
iv talked with the owner and it seems that the bike is USED ....or work ...specially on the paint
SO it needs a repaint and maybe new fork ( than i am thinking get Shox BOXER fork )

But again the question is is it worth 2400 grand ?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
not if it's that beat. You could buy my frame and build it with better components for less than 2400. You don't have to buy my frame, there are plenty others for sale, but I'm just using it as an example.

That bike doesn't look clapped out in the photos, it looks pretty new. Have you seen it in person?

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
It is NOT the bike in that photos...As i wrote thoose photos are just ilustration photos. and no i havent seen it yet. I will see the bike tomorrow, and check it out...he told me that he had it for a ride on the mountain for the last time...so i belive he rode the **** out of it....SO i am really skeptical on this bike ....BUT i will see it tomorrow.
But i dont like that its been used to much ... i feel like its used as a whore :p
But again i find ALOT of nice bikes for sale in US and CAnada on Pinkbikes. for same price and less,
I dont know i have to think about it....when i see the bike tomorrow , IF i feel that its to worn out i wil offer him less and if he refuses i will refuse the deal. AND most likely buy a bike from us or Cad.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
oh yeah, that website looks legit:
Damn was expecting more of a bite, it's a dodgy Indonesian site, but it seems weird that they used such a odd brand to "stock".

They sell for $3200ish on CRC and a framset is ~$1750, lucky I'm broke or I'd be ordering a frameset from CRC!

Ghost'

Chimp
Jul 9, 2011
Done deal .... got it for 2400 , it has some scratches and marks... no big dents exept two dent on the rear wheel ..
The bike is DREAM to ride! best bike iv ever ridden. Geo is just sex!!!