Quantcast

My take on Yeti 575 vs. Santa cruz heckler

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
I bet it would be sweet with a Pike Team or Pike Air up front! :)
Not to be a hater, but I'll let someone else try the Pike for a year or so before i consider one. My Psylo fell apart on me bit by bit.
I don't think that the low price is that attractive if it's a 1 season fork.

I think that a Talas, or a plain old Float 130 would rock on the 575 - but that's just me.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Mackie said:
I think that a Talas, or a plain old Float 130 would rock on the 575 - but that's just me.
I think the TALAS/5th combo works great on the 575, though I don't really have much to compare it to.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
that bike looks slack with the Fox 36 up front, but I bet it would be sweet with a Pike Team or Pike Air up front! :)[/QUOTE]

It is!

Attachments

freak45

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this site, but felt motivated to respond to this thread since I also own both a medium 575 and Heckler. What are the odds?

Generally speaking, the rider position on the Heckler is a little more forward (aggressive.) The longer top tube on the 575 and rearward placement is a little more my style. I have run both a coil and air shock on my Heckler. The linkage is very regressive so it does a nice job flattening out an air spring curve and balances well with a position sensitive coil (like my DHX.) The 575 linkage is very sag sensitive but when you nail it, it works great with an air shock (Float RP3 in my case.) Yeti did a nice job with the linkage curve on the bike.

I currently have my Heckler built up for more aggressive trail riding. 2.5 tires, wide rims, DHX, Vanilla Fork, etc. Given this was the heavier frame, I kitted it up for a little more abuse.

My 575 is set up on the lighter side, with 2.25 tires, lighter wheels, RP3, Float 130, etc.

Overall I would say that both bikes perform great. A lot of it probably just comes down to geometry. I actually prefer my 575 position a little over the Heckler, but that's just me. Also, if you are really focused more on weight, then perhaps that might be another bonus for the 575. If you really want to keep it simple though and are shopping for coil options, the Heckler is a home run. OR...you could be just like me and get both.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
berkshire_rider said:
The white Motolite looks pretty nice. :cool:

And after looking at those pics, looks like Banshee and Craftworks are paying Specialized for the same design. :think:
That Banshee looks much more unrefined than your Craftworks Steve and it doesn't feature a horst link - it is more of an ugly overly beefed up Kona type design.

The Moto-lite however does feature the horst link and at an attractive price point.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
freak45 said:
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this site, but felt motivated to respond to this thread since I also own both a medium 575 and Heckler. What are the odds?

Generally speaking, the rider position on the Heckler is a little more forward (aggressive.) The longer top tube on the 575 and rearward placement is a little more my style. I have run both a coil and air shock on my Heckler. The linkage is very regressive so it does a nice job flattening out an air spring curve and balances well with a position sensitive coil (like my DHX.) The 575 linkage is very sag sensitive but when you nail it, it works great with an air shock (Float RP3 in my case.) Yeti did a nice job with the linkage curve on the bike.

I currently have my Heckler built up for more aggressive trail riding. 2.5 tires, wide rims, DHX, Vanilla Fork, etc. Given this was the heavier frame, I kitted it up for a little more abuse.

My 575 is set up on the lighter side, with 2.25 tires, lighter wheels, RP3, Float 130, etc.

Overall I would say that both bikes perform great. A lot of it probably just comes down to geometry. I actually prefer my 575 position a little over the Heckler, but that's just me. Also, if you are really focused more on weight, then perhaps that might be another bonus for the 575. If you really want to keep it simple though and are shopping for coil options, the Heckler is a home run. OR...you could be just like me and get both.
Sounds like you have the best of both worlds in your two rigs.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
freak45, thanks for your input!

The more info people can get the better chance they have picking a frame that fits their riding style and needs.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Instigator said:
The more info people can get the better chance they have picking a frame that fits their riding style and needs.
Seems like this comparison is picked to death by people looking for a trail bike. To some extent, rightfully so. But in an attempt to cut through the messy details, would you say that for 95% of us trail riders, either frame would be an excellent choice for a trailbike build?

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
jacksonpt said:
Seems like this comparison is picked to death by people looking for a trail bike. To some extent, rightfully so. But in an attempt to cut through the messy details, would you say that for 95% of us trail riders, either frame would be an excellent choice for a trailbike build?
It is true, I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
MMcG said:

Looky looky

The price has a tendency to move up and down every two weeks or so. But for $400 this frame is a deal. I've seen one up close on a CA trip and the welding all looks spot on. They are fully waranteed too.

There is only one big and one minor detraction from riding a Weyless frame.
1. Its a Weyless frame and does not have the cache of high-end brands.
2. There is no owners manual.

I have a heckler now and after seeing the XP would definetly consider it as a follow up.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tame Ape said:
Looky looky

The price has a tendency to move up and down every two weeks or so. But for $400 this frame is a deal. I've seen one up close on a CA trip and the welding all looks spot on. They are fully waranteed too.

There is only one big and one minor detraction from riding a Weyless frame.
1. Its a Weyless frame and does not have the cache of high-end brands.
2. There is no owners manual.

I have a heckler now and after seeing the XP would definetly consider it as a follow up.
The similarities that I can see are the same amount of travel and that they are both single pivots. But I suspect pivot placement is different and the shock definitely mounts on the frame differently. Did it look as beefy as your Heckler when you saw it in person?

I think I'd rather buy a used Heckler than a new Weyless. But maybe if I saw one in person I'd think differently. However we have no Supergos on the East Coast.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
MMcG said:
The similarities that I can see are the same amount of travel and that they are both single pivots. But I suspect pivot placement is different and the shock definitely mounts on the frame differently. Did it look as beefy as your Heckler when you saw it in person?

I think I'd rather buy a used Heckler than a new Weyless. But maybe if I saw one in person I'd think differently. However we have no Supergos on the East Coast.
You might be giving Weyless to much credit about differences between a Heckler, a Bullit and their XP. Their geometry is tweaked a little differently, shorter CS, higher BB. Both things I could see amended on a Heckler.

RE/ pivot and shock location. I don't know much about this sort of nonsense, but I do know that a Heckler has a falling rate that has been reffered to as both drastic and minor. The XP set-up looks like a Bullit I guess for what thats worth. But I guaratee you they didn't reach very far up the road for inspiration.

Mark, alot of what we look at in the bike world seems to be over-engineered and over-marketed pig vomit directed at kids and enthusiasts. If I can get the same performance and a MUCH greater value for $400 v. $1250 I will. Mind you, it took a trans-blue Heckler to see it that way...

You might find real feedback on MTBR.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tame Ape - you could very well be right on the Weyless - I'm not sure. what I do know is that you can find a lot of good information on other brands (even Giant's, Specializeds, Treks, etc. etc.) and you really can't get a helluva lot of feedback on a Weyless. Nor can I readily test ride one (well hell I can't readily test ride a Titus or a Yeti around here either - hell not even an Iron Horse for that matter), but at least I can get feedback from other riders on the more established brands out there.

If you were to call Supergo about the Weyless frame would you be able to talk to someone who is behind the frame design, who knows the ins and outs of the frame? Or would you just get a salesperson who really doesn't know the frame all that well.

For example if you call up a Titus or Ventana or Turner, or SC to a certain extent you get to speak with peope very heavily involved in the design and implementation of their frames and bikes. That in my book is a cool thing.

Are you going to get a Weyless to replace your Heckler?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
MMcG said:
Tame Ape - you could very well be right on the Weyless - I'm not sure. what I do know is that you can find a lot of good information on other brands (even Giant's, Specializeds, Treks, etc. etc.) and you really can't get a helluva lot of feedback on a Weyless. Nor can I readily test ride one (well hell I can't readily test ride a Titus or a Yeti around here either - hell not even an Iron Horse for that matter), but at least I can get feedback from other riders on the more established brands out there.

If you were to call Supergo about the Weyless frame would you be able to talk to someone who is behind the frame design, who knows the ins and outs of the frame? Or would you just get a salesperson who really doesn't know the frame all that well.

For example if you call up a Titus or Ventana or Turner, or SC to a certain extent you get to speak with peope very heavily involved in the design and implementation of their frames and bikes. That in my book is a cool thing.

Are you going to get a Weyless to replace your Heckler?

Mark, its a house brand at a major retailer. I've called before and have always been transfered to the tech department where they have the answers. But you'd be wrong to think that you're going to get the same CS as when dealing with a 'by riders for riders' type of company.

No, I'll not be replacing the Heckler with a XP. Why? Even as fcuked as mine is right now, its still fine for me. Also I'd like to try an air shock and get the f&r triangle replaced before I give up. I want to go white!