Quantcast

N. Table Mountain update

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Report from the OSAC (Open space access committee) on the N Table mtn management plan:

Good news.

The OSAC decided to post-pone the action to vote on the plan until December. They were still open for public comment.

Groups represented for the defense of MTN biking were:
Evergreen bike club
Yeti cycles
Bike Source
TSC/TCS?
West Side cycles
Mojo Wheels
a few good ole mtn bikers (myself included)

The general theme was bikers defending their reason to be allowed on N. Table mtn. Several nimby's, hardcore environmentalists, and a handful of 40+ antibike people spoke. Jefferson County pretty much shot down the weak arguements of the anti-bikers. I was amazed at what these people ask for, but Jeffco's general response was:

All Tax payers of Jefferson are allowed to use the trails, which would include all groups (hikers, bikers, horse). For them to single out all those tax payers and create a park for one group isn't their philosophy.... besides, we've given enough open space to hikers, and they still complain about what they're given.

In general, the entire Jeffco OSAC (12-14 members?) were all in favor of having mtn biking on N table mtn.

What wasn't discussed was the free-ride park. Thanks guys, but you freeriders could've done something great, but you may have missed you chance. I spoke about it, and asked that it remain in the plan. I also asked for mtn biking only trails that were challenging (like some one way DH trails)

the CDCC?( Colorado Downhill coalition- is that still around?) was mentioned, but the look of confusion was there when no one represented them.

N. Table is still open as to its future, but it looks like we'll have mtn biking based on the OSAC opinions.

fly rider

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
broomfield
The CDCC gave Open Space the following written statement, concerning the proposed challenge park on N. Table, a week in advance of the OSAC meeting.

In response to Jefferson County Open Space’s statement, issued April 7th, 2005, extending the public comment period, for North Table Mountain Park Management Plan, till November 30th, 2005, the Colorado Downhill Cycling Collective has prepared the following statement.
Concerning the proposed "challenge park", the CDCC is excited to hear that Open Space is considering the addition of more challenging terrain for mountain bikers, at Open Space Parks. CDCC membership is, however, concerned about the choice of location. The top of North Table Mountain is difficult to access, with the appropriate type of bikes for challenging terrain. Bikes designed to ride challenging terrain weigh more than typical mountain bikes, and the trail to the top of North Table Mountain would be difficult to ride up on the appropriate equipment. CDCC membership has expressed their willingness to ride their heavier equipment uphill, as long as there is a challenging trail, suitable for riding back down.
A "challenge park", on top of North Table Mountain, will not adequately address the conflicts, that are arising, as a result of high speed and low speed users on Open Space trails. It is the belief of the CDCC that a "challenge park", at the right location, coupled with a system of directional "challenge trails", would greatly reduce conflicts among trail users, at Open Space Parks.

This statement was prepared using input from CDCC members who emailed me, called me, or whom I spoke to in person.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Seems to defeat the purpose - they are offering "challenging" terrain and the cdcc is complaining about how tough it is to get there. Hike a bike for god's sake if you can't muscle the power to get up there. You can only demand so much before they wipe your concerns off the table completely.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
What's N Table Mt like to ride up w/ a 50+# DH bike (where's the access anyway)? I just did Lookout on my big bike (up the road and down Apex) and it wasn't super tough...and I've been off the saddle for 3+ weeks prior.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
fly rider said:
Bikes designed to ride challenging terrain weigh more than typical mountain bikes, and the trail to the top of North Table Mountain would be difficult to ride up on the appropriate equipment. CDCC membership has expressed their willingness to ride their heavier equipment uphill, as long as there is a challenging trail, suitable for riding back down.
A "challenge park", on top of North Table Mountain, will not adequately address the conflicts, that are arising
Interesting.

It sounds like the CDCC is only interested in shuttling DH bikes. That's really too bad. I hope N Table gets something, this way we have something to start with and to have Jeffco see the interest it sparks. I have a Freeride bike that would be perfect for that park (Bullit, with a 888RC), but I also don't mind riding to the top to get there... I need the exercise.

Thanks though, for making a statement to Jeffco. We need to see you at the next meeting. I plan on inquiring about the skills park to see what their thoughts are on it.

Riding to the top of N Table mtn isn't trivial either. Even on a lighter bike, one of the roads that will become a trail is steep...even for Xc'rs.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Pau11y said:
What's N Table Mt like to ride up w/ a 50+# DH bike (where's the access anyway)? I just did Lookout on my big bike (up the road and down Apex) and it wasn't super tough...and I've been off the saddle for 3+ weeks prior.
Okay man, you and I have got to hook up. I ride a 45 lb bike around as my XC bike... I thought I was the only one with my head screwed on wrong.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
Pau11y has a XC bike, he's just a little bit nuts. :p
Hey! Umm, yeah, ok.
Actually I was messing around w/ my fork and needed to take it out for a test run. It works, but still needs tweaking. I got my hands on a Monster T2 before the move and will be test running/breaking in that thing in March on an Azonic Recoil frame :D I'm hoping it'll come in less than 50#s, but w/ that fork and frame I'm not holding my breath.

fly rider

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
broomfield
The main access, used by bikers, is the double-track up the west side. It's average grade is way steeper than other trails at Open Space parks. Once at the top riders would be able to ride the proposed "challenge park". There was no contingency, in JeffCo's plan, for providing an alternate route, so that riders could ride their big bikes down, without causing additional user conflicts by "bombing" down multi-use trails. Inviting dh and freeride mtb riders to the top of N. Table, but not providing appriate access to and from the "challenge park" will only exascerbate the problem on N. Table.

Furthermore, the statement specifically said that CDCC membership had expressed that they would be willing to ride to the top, provided there were appropriate trails to ride back down. A "challenge park" at the top of N. Table does not adequately address issues facing other Open Space parks (shuttling and high speed, low speed user conflicts). We, dh and freeride mountain bikers, will never get the terrain we want just because we are a large user group or because we ask nicely and jump through all their hoops. Our only real chance to get trails is to convice Open Space that directional, mountain bike trails are a viable solution to their concerns about user conflicts.

I, also, ride a 45lb bike all the time. I ride up White Ranch, Chimney Gulch, and Deer Creek Canyon at least 3 times a week. I am willing to ride up and even hike, to ride challenging terrain. And, when I do use multi-use trails, I yield in both directions, and even when the trail is wide and other user's have already moved aside I always slow to a walking speed and thank them. But just because I friendly on the trail and even though I'm sure most people on this thread, and on ride monkey in general, follow the same trail etiquette, does not mean that shuttling does not continue and grow. If anything I have notice more shuttling, during my own ride, than in the past couple of years. If this continues, without us taking a proactive part in finding a viable solution, it will affect all mountain bikers negetively, not just dh and freeriders.

The CDCC's statement did not catagorically dismiss the possibility of a "challenge park" on top of N. Table, we were merely expressing concerns voiced to us by members (and actually a few non-members as well).

DHDUDE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2005
= fun, lots of vert and yes, someone drives you to the top until you can get a lift installed.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Yup, earn your runs! I'll take a lift when I'm at a ski resort. But often, the REALLY sweet, not prep'd runs are in the middle of national forests w/ REALLY crappy roads (for any car).

Edit: a lot of times it's too far to push a big bike which is why you have a 2nd lighter one w/ more gears and slightly less travel :D

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Pau11y said:
Edit: a lot of times it's too far to push a big bike which is why you have a 2nd lighter one w/ more gears and slightly less travel :D
Yeah, but I just can't give up the travel!

I'll still push my 43 lb bike around with my XC buddies.! I live for the fun, and I'm getting in better shape as a side effect.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Its a SC Bullit with 7" in the rear and 8" in the front (888RC).

I do, however, have two wheel sets. A DH set (WTB Laser beams with Maxxis 2.7's), and a lighter set (Mavic 317's with a 2.3 in front and rear, laced to a CK in the rear and a Hadley up front). I also sometimes switch out forks (to a 2002 Z.1). the weights and balances are as follows... (based on older data).
888RC with DH wheels: 43.5 lbs
888RC with XC Wheels: 37.5 Lbs
Z.1 with XC's: 35.5 lbs.

I no longer have a third chain ring (Recently went to a bash gaurd). I don't miss the 3rd, but I haven't needed it in the front range yet.

I love pushing the weights up to the full DH setup in the early season, and push it as hard as I can. Then, for longer rides, I'll lighten the bike up and have fun. Regardless, I hardly switch forks due to the fun the 888RC has.

Lets go ride.... I live in Golden and hit up any of the local open space parks on a regular basis. <-or try