Quantcast

Nao With Gimbal

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Chalk one up for GoPro. It hangs in a sad, contorted state but just bounces off of its limits. No contact between frame and camera when the handle is moved around whether held upright, with camera forward, handle horizontal, or halfway in between as on the Chesty mount.
What's your setup look like? I'm not sure I've ever seen a picture of what the GoPro Karma grip mounted to a harness looks like...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What's your setup look like? I'm not sure I've ever seen a picture of what the GoPro Karma grip mounted to a harness looks like...

Said sad hanging-without-power state. You can see from the camera that my setup has already taken a beating. The plate at photographic left is the chest mount, same as any other. Standard pivot mount with a small stand-off, the included-with-grip mounting ring as interface, and for now the grip/battery hangs down by my belly.

A cable to allow the battery to be located elsewhere is supposedly forthcoming in a few months, which would make it look like the GoPro promo materials: https://shop.gopro.com/karmaaccessories

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I wonder what they have against a small, self contained battery pack? Small poweful batteries aren't hard to find these days. Are you able to swap batteries if you run low?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Should be picking up a Hero5 Session tomorrow at lunch. Its from a business address, found on a craigslist type site so its a little odd. Guy says he has two and is selling it to new sealed box, for $20 less than the retail cost and no tax (13% savings).

Do the retail boxes have the serial number on the outside?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What do you guys use to edit your video?

I used GoPro Studio for the one post yesterday, but I'm trying to use it on the same laptop tonight and it is being a royal **** (choose your own appropriate word). Shit just isn't responding, no matter what I do or where the video file is.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I used GoPro Studio for the one post yesterday, but I'm trying to use it on the same laptop tonight and it is being a royal **** (choose your own appropriate word). Shit just isn't responding, no matter what I do or where the video file is.
I use GoPro Studio, and Quik for those 30 second with music edits. Studio is a resource hog. Doesn't run well on my work laptop at all--I sometimes revert to Windows Movie Maker on that. Studio is the way to go to adjust exposure/white balance, etc., though. Just takes time to get the GPS overlay in Quik then reimport into Studio before work can begin.

My gaming computer runs Studio acceptably, but it's a beast: X99, i7-5930K, 32 GB RAM, 950 PRO M.2 drive, and two 980 Tis in case that affects its performance at all (probably not).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Latest gimbal video to whore out:

Tiny bit of horizon tilt on a clip or two. The gimbal can clearly take some abuse, noting the multiple flips of the car from about 30 mph...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

i had best results with studio when i took the micro SD card out of the camera and put it into a SD card adapter and inserted that into the laptop and read it from there. Any other way it would bog down and crash

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Thanks for the tips. Seems weird that Studio works so poorly, yet according to performance monitor on my laptop, it isn't consuming much resources....or at least not trying to.

Another time lapse test, this time on the way to work in some light. Still have yet to take some real video.

My micro SD card choice seems okay so far. I got the cheapest, but biggest card I could find on Amazon; a 128gb PNY Elite something or other.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01G26R7LA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've found GoPro Studio's performance to be severely lacking. iMovie is much faster for me, you may want to check out some speed tests of Windows compatible video apps.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Fixed Studio.

There is a file which saves your settings here; C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\GoPro\appsettings

In that file was a reference to a folder that I created on my desktop, and then deleted. Deleting the file reset all the settings and now Studio works great. From what I can tell, it was trying to autosave to a location which didn't exist and kept getting hung up.

Now to just find out a good setting to eliminate pixilation when uploading to YouTube. I uploaded the following and at 5:04 you can see how pixelated the trees in the background are. Same with the beer can at 6:03. Original video file isn't like that.

7:25 for a pretty good face plant on the ice. :busted:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What bitrate are you using for export from Quik and Studio? I'm using 30 Mbps for 1080p @ 60 fps, iirc.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think you need to test it on the King Kong trail and see if it functions as well as their promo :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That looks amazing. Except for the hucks to flat and the prospect of death by falling off the ridgeline.