Quantcast

ne one ever sswitch shifter and brake position?

novascotian

Chimp
Oct 29, 2003
so i was trying to move my levers in towards the center of the bike so i can one finger them. i was going to buy short levers but i thought i'd try this first. I got them in and moved my shifters in as well...while i was moving them i decided to take off the grip and switch the positions of the two components with my hayes hfx9 levers inside the shifters. this is on a kona stinky. this moved the shifters out to a very comfortable position and i can one finger the brakes as well as have all of my hand on the grip....is this switch ok to do?..anyone else try it?

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
jacksonpt said:
Ditto that.
Same here.

Although on my new bike the brake lever and shifter is integrated as one.

If you don't mind me shifting the subject a little. Have any of you shaved your handle bars down? My HT handle bars look like wings compared to my FS. It has a 24inch bar (shaved down I'm assuming).

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
JSB said:
Same here.

Although on my new bike the brake lever and shifter is integrated as one.

If you don't mind me shifting the subject a little. Have any of you shaved your handle bars down? My HT handle bars look like wings compared to my FS. It has a 24inch bar (shaved down I'm assuming).
I can't remember where my shifter is on my DH bike. :think: Hmmmmm

My DH bars are 28" plus the aluminum bar end caps which add another .25-.50"s more over all. :D

I have no idea what my HT bars are at.

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
hmm. i never thought of doing that. it's kinda funny because i find myself using just my middle finger a lot on my brakes. i'm going to have to take a look and try that out. thanks for the idea.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heh, i ran this for a day or so before going single speed on my old planet x bommer

oddblob

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Salem, Oregon
I'm always thinking people I ride with must wonder what the hell is up with my shifters/brakes. It seems to me that if you want to use single-finger braking and have your finger grip the end of the lever where there's maximum power, you have to switch the shifter/brake position - or give up on shifting! It the only way to fly - one finger on the brakes, the rest performing a death-grip on the bar. Thats livin'.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
UltraViolet said:
i hope when you went Single Speed you cut down that stearer tube?
i honestly don't remember. it was a long time ago and that fork (psylo sl tullio) and associated front wheel/brake were stolen from my bike within the month, thanks to wonderfully efficient bike thieves :dead: