Quantcast

Need a new watch...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Well, my trusty Timex Ironman finally died a peaceful death. Now I need to replace my faithful companion of 6 years with something cooler and newer. Anyone have a cool recommendation...looking for (hopefully) an integral compass, stopwatches and all the basic shizzle. No G Shocks, dont need a hard guy watch...

SpikeJones

Chimp
Nov 2, 2006
In Der Fuhrer's face
Well, my trusty Timex Ironman finally died a peaceful death. Now I need to replace my faithful companion of 6 years with something cooler and newer. Anyone have a cool recommendation...looking for (hopefully) an integral compass, stopwatches and all the basic shizzle. No G Shocks, dont need a hard guy watch...
Six years isn't very long. I've been wearing one of these since 1982 - Seiko SKX173

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
I've got a HighGear that has Altimeter, Barometer, Thermometer, basic timing/lap functions and ski/vert tracking. I'm pretty happy with it - only complaint would be lack of compass. Picked it up at REI, but I'm sure there are better deals to be had.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
I would go for a Suunto. They are super nice and there are many models to choose from !
Also, some of the models are dead easy to replace batteries - the Vector uses a quarter and a cr2032 - common enough battery in the bike world...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Suuntos Ive looked at are huge. They have nice features and are easy to read.

Yeah, mines a bit chunky but it is so light you don't notice it. I can attest for it's toughness, had a few crashes where I went down so fast that I never even leg go of the handlebars, dragged the watch across the ground quite hard. Works fine.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
All the young stud types, and the guys who tend to think they are too tough for their own good seem to wear them. And they never seem to know how to/or use all the gee whiz stuff on them. I am weakening though, simply because they get such great reviews and the price is right on them...
Right now I am wearing my hr monitor while I ponder this momentous decision!

All the young stud types, and the guys who tend to think they are too tough for their own good seem to wear them. And they never seem to know how to/or use all the gee whiz stuff on them. I am weakening though, simply because they get such great reviews and the price is right on them...
Right now I am wearing my hr monitor while I ponder this momentous decision!
So repeat after me:
I am not a style whore.
I am not my watch or clothing.
I'll use what works for me.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
How much are you looking to spend?

Tissot T-Touch would suit your needs - altimiter, compas, baramoter, thermometer, alarm, stopwatach... but a bit pricey. I love mine.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Was about to buy a G Shock (Yes, I cracked) when the wife/comptroller suddenly frees up a bunch of fundage. Being the opportunistic sleazebag that I am, I jumped and ordered a Suunto Vector 3 for about $160.00. Should be here in about 3 days, when I will spend the next 20 years learning how to use the high speed cool guy stuff on it!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I'm happy with the Suunto I bought from Acadian. Has a compass and a altimeter.
Sweet...glad you're still rockin' that watch!

I still have my Suunto Advizor - love that watch to death!

Another great thing about Suunto is that for less than $50 they will fully service your watch which includes a new band, new crystal, new Bezier (if it has one), new font face, new battery, new seals and they calibrate it for you. That is like a brand new watch for 1/4th the price!!

I didn’t know they offered that service when I first bought my watch. After a nasty crash in a rock garden I had scratch my crystal to the point that I could barely see the time! I was bummed to say the least. Then I called them up to see how much it would be to replace the crystal (and if it was even an option) – I was pretty stoked when they informed me of the option above!!

they are spendy, but imo they are worth their price!

AA717driver

Chimp
Oct 21, 2006
The land of Bio-diesel
Don't do Swiss Army. I had one with a rubber wristband and the band started cracking and finally broke. While I was waiting for one to come into stock, the mechanism broke.

I've got a Seiko for nice places and an Ironman cheapie for fun places. Good luck.TC