Quantcast

Need cranks- Campy 11 speed on BB30 frame.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Guys,

I'm building up a new bike for our Summer after having a fair bit of bad luck with Pinarello Princes.

I have ordered a Cannondale Caad 9 which should be here shortly (probably the week after next). I plan on transferring the build kit over from my Prince (so a full 11 speed record groupset, training and race wheels etc) but I am somewhat stuck with crank options.

The way I see it, i have the choice of:

Sticking with my Record cranks, which would be less than 5000 km old. The chainrings are barely worn, and the cranks are unmarked. The only drawback to this option is having to run the adapter to suit a BB30 frame rather than threading the bb directly into the frame. I'm not overly keen on this setup as I have had negative feedback from others using similar setups.

Option 2 would be running the stock FSA Gossamer cranks that come with the Cannondale. This would cost me nothing and allow me to upgrade later on if it really challenged my vibe. Again, the only downside has been my own experience with FSA and Sram cranks previously, especially with the bb bearings and interfaces. If they were a better model FSA crank I wouldn't hesitate to use them, but my own feedback with FSA is that the basic stuff is not really worth a look.

Option 3 is the Cannondale Hollowgram SL cranks, which, although pricey, seem to offer the best setup- better bearings, bigger (stiffer?) interfaces and a lighter setup. I have not had any negative feedback with the current generation alloy cranks, but I have dealt with many warranty claims on the older style cranks.

Sticking with Campy is going to require a new BB as well as the sleeve for the frame, whilst the FSA and Cannondale cranks will come with Campy rings.

Price isn't too much of an issue, however I want the lightest and most durable setup and am well aware of the Bontrager maxim. The bike is used daily, normally 4-500 km a week on roads that aren't the best.

What's the go? Are there any other cranks I should look at?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
SI or nothing at all. Period.

Oh, and please tell me what issues you've had with your Pinarello. Personally, I think those are some of the most over-hype frames produced, especially after having to deal with the issues I've seen.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
SI or nothing at all. Period.

Oh, and please tell me what issues you've had with your Pinarello. Personally, I think those are some of the most over-hype frames produced, especially after having to deal with the issues I've seen.
Am I the only one who think they are but ugly too?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Either Cannondale Hollowgram SL cranks or use the Record you already have with an adapter. The old carbon cranks made by FSA had the problem, alloy are golden.

Weakest link wasn't the adapter, it was the installers. Clean the bb shell and the adapter, they will have oils/be contaminated, don't skimp on the loctite, press in evenly while paying attention.

If anyone tries to bring a hammer into the equation, leave.

DeanoG

Chimp
Aug 23, 2007
Have Rec 11 spd on my Super Six with the 'dale BB30 adaptor sleeve installed and its all fine. The adaptor can be removed for later re-sale (or if you change your mind), particularly on the Alu frames.

An alternative if you don't like the 'dale full sleeve adaptor, may be to use the Campy BB30 adaptor cups, which will step down from BB30 so you can use you existing cranks.

FYI - I am running campy on my Super Six, as the 'dale Holllowgram cranks dont do 177.5m, the Zipp Vuma Quads in 177.5 are silly expensive, and the only other option was SRAM Crank in 177.5 with FSA chain rings to suit the Record 11 speed chain, a mis-match solution I wasnt keen on.

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Whats the reason for going from a Prince to a CAAD 9?
Repeatedly breaking them in the same spot. Initially I thought that it was my weight (95 kg) or my riding style, but it's actually a widespread issue. There are a few other riders in our club with the same problems (in the same place). Given the policy on replacement I think the issue is pretty well known too.

To Prince owners, check your LH chainstay and BB area. To prospective owners, save your money and buy an FP6. Or a Caad 9.