Quantcast

need help with brake

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
i am having problems with my rear brake (hayes 8in rotor). i got my wheel rebulit at a bike shop and got it back today and it now rubs on the adapter. i have small spacers in-between the adapter and the drop out but, without them the wheel cant even spin cause it rumbs so much on the inside of the caliper. i tried sanding the spacers down some but it didnt help. any sugestion or if it is confusing at all just PM me plz.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
IronJim said:
i am having problems with my rear brake (hayes 8in rotor). i got my wheel rebulit at a bike shop and got it back today and it now rubs on the adapter. i have small spacers in-between the adapter and the drop out but, without them the wheel cant even spin cause it rumbs so much on the inside of the caliper. i tried sanding the spacers down some but it didnt help. any sugestion or if it is confusing at all just PM me plz.
You're not being too clear here, but I think your wheel is either off-dish or needs to be deliberately offset to the drive side a little bit. You need to either move the wheel or the caliper so they don't hit one another. Simple as that. Do whichever is practical to do...and since your caliper position is determined by the position of the rotor, looks like you need to move the wheel. That's done by re-dishing it.

I'd just take it to the shop and have them take a look if the answer isn't apparent to you.

MD

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
i have a santa cruz bullit

one of my friends said that i might have the wrong adapter.
some PM me to and said to move the rotor towards the caliper more by putting spacers in it. a different person said to try to find smaller spacers to move the adapter a way form the drop out.

and i do not know what re-dishing is so, can you plz explain it to me.
i will try to get a pic up tomorrow if i can get to my friends house because i do not have a camera

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Dish is the way the rim sits in relation to the hub, laterally. If you loosen the spokes on one side of the wheel and tighten the others, the entire rim shifts a bit to either side.

Normally your wheel should be dished to place it along the centerline of the bike, evenly spaced between the dropouts. However, your new hub/rim/spoke combo is apparently causing some rub as it's currently dished, so you might want to shift the rim over to the right.

By the way, is English your first language? Reading your posts is giving me a headache. If you'd actually type in complete sentences, with punctuation and capitals where they should be, it would be a huge help.

MD

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
MikeD said:
By the way, is English your first language? Reading your posts is giving me a headache. If you'd actually type in complete sentences, with punctuation and capitals where they should be, it would be a huge help.

MD
:stupid: unless youre from turksmenistan and are just learning the language, use your brain and save us the pain :mumble:

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
sorry but i know i am not very smart. i am 14, and i have never done well in English. i am American though and i am born and raised here in santa cruz. i try had to make it not confusing and i usually use spell check before i post anything. i am sorry that i am confusing but, i try hard not to be. sorry

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
IronJim said:
sorry but i know i am not very smart. i am 14, and i have never done well in English. i am American though and i am born and raised here in santa cruz. i try had to make it not confusing and i usually use spell check before i post anything. i am sorry that i am confusing but, i try hard not to be. sorry

Its all good man, Just as long as you are trying :thumb:

MikeD said:
You're not being too clear here, but I think your wheel is either off-dish or needs to be deliberately offset to the drive side a little bit. You need to either move the wheel or the caliper so they don't hit one another. Simple as that. Do whichever is practical to do...and since your caliper position is determined by the position of the rotor, looks like you need to move the wheel. That's done by re-dishing it.

I'd just take it to the shop and have them take a look if the answer isn't apparent to you.

MD
Dish has exactly nothing to do with the caliper rubbing on the disk.

The shop screwed something up when they worked on the wheel. Take the whole bike to the shop and ask them to fix it. If either of your parents know a screw from a cotter pin, bring them along.

J

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
johnbryanpeters said:
Dish has exactly nothing to do with the caliper rubbing on the disk.
J
He didn't say what was rubbing exactly...I thought the adapter was rubbing on the spokes. I've had that happen on certain bikes with certain brakes and wheelbuilds, and have had to off-dish the wheel a little to stop the rub. I've also gotten around it by spacing the disk out from the hub with a thin shim.

If it's the disk rubbing on the caliper, well jeez, all he has to do is adjust the caliper position...but he said his ADAPTER was rubbing. Only thing it could be rubbing against is the wheel, but with the post he left, I don't really know what's going on.

IronJim, if you're 14, you should have plenty of practice and help working on your English skills. Look at the problems we're having simply understanding and helping you right here. And frankly, it's so frustrating trying to understand the problem that I feel like I'm wasting my time now. If respect from fellow adults (in just a few years) and potential employment don't mean much to you right now, well, just think about all the bike stuff you'll be able to buy if you have a decent job in the future. Not every job will require good writing ability, necessarily, not going to lie, but it's not going to hurt.

In any case, if the solution to the problem isn't apparent, just take it back to the shop and don't mess with anything yourself.

MD

J

JRB

IronJim said:

Why is this so common among young monkey posters??? I see a frightening trend. :dead:

I don't see what dishing the wheel will do. It sounds like it is rubbing on the rotor. I think the caliper needs adjusting. That should be easy with Hayes.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
loco-gringo said:
Why is this so common among young monkey posters??? I see a frightening trend. :dead:

I don't see what dishing the wheel will do. It sounds like it is rubbing on the rotor. I think the caliper needs adjusting. That should be easy with Hayes.
He said his "wheel" is "rubbing on the adapter." He didn't say anything about a rotor. From this, I'm inferring it's the spokes hitting his brake adapter. This might have happened if he got a wider rim with offet spoke holes or something.

I'm done with the guessing games, though. It's obvious a shop will have to fix it anyhow.