Quantcast

need microsoft access help NOW!!!!!!!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
With tomarrow being my last day of my summer internship at bayer corporation i am finalizing my summer's work with the access database that i has been my baby for the past 4 months, i now need to secure the database so that it can be opened by all other users but not edited. I have only 1 form that needs to be viewed by the users. Admins must be able to access the full version, i am in a real bind here i cant figure out what to do, 48 hours and counting

knuck any suggestions i know you are a DB guy. Cmon someone...:confused:

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Not sure exactly how to do it, but look up "read only" in the help. It talks about giving read only access to forms.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
From the wife:

DISCLAIMER: This is using basic property settings of Access. There are ways to program it that are in code, but he doesn't sound like he's got time to get into that.

If he's really wanting to lock a form (& just the form), he needs to go into the design view and open up the properties for the form. Under the 'All' tab, the 8th item down says Allow Edits - select No, next is Allow Deletions and Allow Additions - if noone should be able to make any changes (even adding new records), I'd set them to No also. There's also a Record Lock further down, but if he's got everything else set to No, that one really doesn't come into play.

311miles

Chimp
Jul 14, 2004
tampa
Create a new .mdb file and import the form. Then setup linked tables back to the original. Lock down the new .mdb file and have the users access that(see above post). Keep the original for admins. This way they can't jack with your tables either.

J

JRB

I have been having hell writing queries because of stupid links. It has not been fun. They work now, but I have to get all of my reports done. I need to do some forms too.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I rarely click on threads that end in "NOW!!!!!!" or "RIGHT AWAY!!!!" or the like.. It just seems very demanding and unpleasant - it won't cause people to answer you faster. Just something to think about. Would you answer someone's question if they came up to you and yelled "HOW DO I FIX MY COMPUTER? I NEED HELP NOW!!!"

311miles has the right solution to this. It's a little bit more work, but it is the thorough way of doing it.

J

JRB

I need IS to put the friggin tables in Postgress instead of Progress so I can build my reports one friggin time.