Quantcast

Need opinions fork replacement

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Alright here it is.... Been running the 66 on the Blindside for the last year, this year I want to replace it with something else.

No fox for me, sen too many 40's broken with bigger guys to trust one. I have it down to two forks and would like the collective input of the monkey to hopefully help me to determine which would be good for me.

First off, I like simple, and I like easily servicable, I like being able to go awhile before Needing a service as well.

So my two I have it down to are the 2010 Boxxer race, and the new 888 evo.

Im not much for needing seperate Hi low adjsuters, I like simple, I think my biggest concern will be I dont want to change geo too much with the new fork. Integrated stem isnt too much of a concern either. Mostly though durability will be a big factor.

I ask here because I know more than a few have been putting these two through the rigors, and hopegfully willing to discuss pros and cons of both.

So It will be on a Large Blindside, I weigh in at 250 ish without gear, ride fairly hard, I dont jump much, pretty much stick to the ground unless I have to, I like tech, I love rocks, I love speed mixed with both of those.......

SO have it, gimme what ya know, help me to decide which may be better for my needs.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Not to sh1t on your parade, but I've seen waaaayy more broken 2010 Boxxers than I have 40's.

<-- 185lbs and currently hoping that new lowers for a 2010 WC get here Friday so I can race this weekend.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Not to sh1t on your parade, but I've seen waaaayy more broken 2010 Boxxers than I have 40's.

<-- 185lbs and currently hoping that new lowers for a 2010 WC get here Friday so I can race this weekend.
Not at all, in what way were you breaking the Boxxers, Internally or externally? I know somehting that has steered me away from Boxxer sin teh past was broken lowers, just too many that came in like that to be comfortable.

What Ive been seeing on the 40's is broken arch's, on top o fthat, I just have never really been a fan of fox.

This is the info Im looking for, so please elaborate on what you have been seeing with the 2010 boxxers, is it first run failures, second run failuers...ETC

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah buy his BOS Ndee. Just rebound and compresion for adjustment and service is once a year oil and seals every 2. Downside Diablo has not got full service going yet but hopefully by the time you would need seals everything will be full on.
too bad the OP lives on the complete opposite side of the country from Diablo :rolleyes:

First off, I like simple, and I like easily servicable, I like being able to go awhile before Needing a service as well.

So my two I have it down to are the 2010 Boxxer race, and the new 888 evo.

Im not much for needing seperate Hi low adjsuters, I like simple, I think my biggest concern will be I dont want to change geo too much with the new fork. QUOTE]

Ya know the Boxxer Race is solid choice for guys who aren't into dual adjusters. You have to know what your doing with that stuff and i takes effort.:D
If you ever did want to upgrade the internals you can with the boxxer .
Anyhoo, as a Boxxer guy the fork will need oil levels checked out of the box and that the way it is. The upside is that is really is very easy to do.
The same could be said about both forks as Marz product came with low oil for a while but not sure with the newer stuff.

Either way your sure to love the upgrade either way:thumb:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah buy his BOS Ndee. Just rebound and compresion for adjustment and service is once a year oil and seals every 2. Downside Diablo has not got full service going yet but hopefully by the time you would need seals everything will be full on.
Yeah not looking for another SC fork, If that was the case, I would just stick with the 66 I have now at 180mm of travel, and 5mm taller than the boxxer race ATC.....

And yes, I do work at a shop so I will be getting new which ever way I go...

Ok So far, downsides for both are they will probably come low on oil, but the boxxer race is an easy check. Thats cool, I will probably do all my teflon and anti stiction tricks right out of the box anyways.....

Any input for the 888 evo? Pros and cons?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I'm sort of in the same boat. What I'm thinking about is long term warranty service... I know Marzocchi looks good this year and all, but SRAM seems to send warranty parts no questions asked. Would Marzocchi treat me well? Dunno...

Tough decision. I may have just added to my post count here, but I'd like to get more info as well.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Boxxer

If Marz can go through this upcoming season with less crap breaking and failing I will consider them. Kind of like Manipoo last year around this time.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Marz must be giving you a heck of a deal as cost on those two are a fair bit apart.

I assume you know about RS employee puchase as well (through QBP)....

Outside of that, the real problem is the lack of meaningful data on either fork (which wont really change until next fall). The boxxer has been out for almost a full season (but only in limited numbers..distributors have been more often out of all models than not) but it seems like very few are going with the race.

The new Marz forks are just being released now. Best case scenario is someone has had it for a month.... and they would have to live in the south west to have had any real time to ride since then.

Either way, there is really no reliability data to be had at this time. Add to that, both are new models, early Boxxer problems, and the last two years of marz products in general....

I do have to say that I like the ability to get ablosutely any (RS) replacement part readily through several distibutors 'just in case'. Knobs, seals, bushings, pre-packaged service/rebuild kits, dampers (or parts there or), axles, lowers, stanchions, etc..
Marz has, in my experience, been more difficult to get part and you generally have to buy large assemblies even if only a small part is bad. Of course this may change with the new damper...but it may not.

DO you know why Push no longer works on Marz? Parts inavailability........

I was not 100% sold on RS when I went that direction when Marz went downhill....but both my boxer and Lyric have been 100% solid. Personally I would need to see several years of solid Marz products (and access to proper tech info that they keep promising) before I go back there.

???????????????????????????

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Marz must be giving you a heck of a deal as cost on those two are a fair bit apart.

I assume you know about RS employee puchase as well (through QBP)....

Outside of that, the real problem is the lack of meaningful data on either fork (which wont really change until next fall). The boxxer has been out for almost a full season (but only in limited numbers..distributors have been more often out of all models than not) but it seems like very few are going with the race.

The new Marz forks are just being released now. Best case scenario is someone has had it for a month.... and they would have to live in the south west to have had any real time to ride since then.

Either way, there is really no reliability data to be had at this time. Add to that, both are new models, early Boxxer problems, and the last two years of marz products in general....

I do have to say that I like the ability to get ablosutely any (RS) replacement part readily through several distibutors 'just in case'. Knobs, seals, bushings, pre-packaged service/rebuild kits, dampers (or parts there or), axles, lowers, stanchions, etc..
Marz has, in my experience, been more difficult to get part and you generally have to buy large assemblies even if only a small part is bad. Of course this may change with the new damper...but it may not.

DO you know why Push no longer works on Marz? Parts inavailability........

I was not 100% sold on RS when I went that direction when Marz went downhill....but both my boxer and Lyric have been 100% solid. Personally I would need to see several years of solid Marz products (and access to proper tech info that they keep promising) before I go back there.

???????????????????????????
Yeah the Marz deal is part of making it up to me over the 08-09 fiasco. Yeah I know about the EP programs.... So far this is the best info I have gotten.... The parts problem... My hope is that I wont really ahve parts issues other than needing seals. Good news, I live about an hour from Marzocchi, so far they have been pretty cool about me coming in directly and getting what I have needed in the past.................

Anyone have some AtC measurements for the boxxer???

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Why would someone have to live in the Southwest to have had any "real time" on one?

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
one thing to keep in mind if you end up going with the 888 Evo
the new ones are shipping with stock springs that are way too light.
the current stock 888 spring is equivalent to the "one lighter than stock" spring last year.

at 250lbs. you will need to get the xtra-beef spring
this is confirmed info

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
one thing to keep in mind if you end up going with the 888 Evo
the new ones are shipping with stock springs that are way too light.
the current stock 888 spring is equivalent to the "one lighter than stock" spring last year.

at 250lbs. you will need to get the xtra-beef spring
this is confirmed info
Ok thank you very much for that..... better now knowing Marz is only an hour away, and i could talkthem into swapping it right there.

A

Asafus

Hey, I have the 888rc since 2005,
I've never had a problem with it,
Also never changed oils or took it to repair, fix etc'...
i think that marzocchi are very durable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
a 5 year old fork doesnt help the conversation
easy slayerfan9000, he's a noob. he doesn't know how douchey people are here.

as far as fork choice, one is ironed out and the other is recovering after a few years of questionable products...I don't have any riding time on my 010 boxxer team yet, but the quality is waaaaaaaaay better than the 08 I had before.

Does the evo have a better damper?

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Can you get the older Boxxer for cheap any more? Out of the box I don't think the new one is any better/probably worse.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
888 ti and regular evo: SMT, and a few others had somr time on them in upwards to a couple of months. the evo ti was out for demoing last year. theres a few in the SW WC that have had em for 2 months now and LOVE em.

The new batch wont be in till the first week of february, they also have user serviceable shim stacks so you can custom valve it which isnt that hardat all just keep notes as to what you started with and order then you can make velocity stacks etc for compression as well if needed.

Boxxer wc 2010: I cant speak for the race as Ive got the WC but I can say its ALOT better than the 09s which I rode for a while. I love it, the adjustments are great the tracking is spot on and overall for the little bit Ive rode it (not long term) Im impressed.

But its getting sold next week and Im ordering a 888 EVO Ti, Im pretty sold on hte few that i know who have rode it and on the backside ie phone calls etc they are brutally honest. Nothing but absolute praise Marz is back, like a monster for plushness with a race fork weight and totally tuneable.

So I will give it a try and see, I liked the ATA mine was never an issue, it worked perfect right off the bat. My 07 rc2x 888 wcti was golden too. So Im pretty excited to be trying one out...

Either way DM you cant go wrong they are both great forks, RS has REALLY stepped it up and I love the new design, but Marz has been good treated me great and the new fork is supposed to be a true marz product with good ol marz. feel and in a slimmer package!

Heres a link for the 888: start of fat post 22 or so when people started getting em (around october)
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=557161

And then hacktastics tuning thread gets a little involved:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225598

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
, but Marz has been good treated me great and the new fork is supposed to be a true marz product with good ol marz. feel and in a slimmer package!
their CS has been awesome w/ me which is why i am giving them another shot. thankfully they dropped the ATA this year.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
well if there was ever a reason why, that is it. lol
LMAO! yeah thats a good one!!!

Im excited to ride the new stuff, I know Tom at Marz and a couple of others as well spent time on the original one and rave about it as well as Ronnie was stoked at how it felt and completely excited about it....

So Ill wait till the batch is closer to delivery date then sell the bxr wc and buy it. :thumb:

Im getting antsy my new jedi is supposed to be in shortly, it shipped Tuesday from the factory and will or should be in in the next few days... I hate waiting then the 888 evo ti makes me wait a little more!!!! :eek:

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
What do you want to know about the evo and evo ti? ive been on an evo ti for a little over a month and it has blown my mind. You will definitely need to up the spring rate for your weight. the stock spring works for riders from anywhere from 150lbs up to 200lbs max. im 155 with gear and onyl ahve a couple clicks of preload on the fork. Ive also spent some time on the regular evo.(me and the guys ordered an evo ti and two evos) The regular evo feels exactly the same except for the weight difference. My first choice would've been the regular evo, but since im a light guy i went for the evo ti. Also, oil heights have been spot on for all 3 forks.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im hoping the stock Ti spring will be good enough for me..im 220lbs and ive had good luck with the Fox 40 stock spring. i think a heavier spring will be to much of a jump

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
im hoping the stock Ti spring will be good enough for me..im 220lbs and ive had good luck with the Fox 40 stock spring. i think a heavier spring will be to much of a jump
YEP right there as well 230, I ride my forks pretty plush with the bottom out up or high speed in a bit to slow it down. As long as with preload it stays 20-30% down Im good the rest is tuning.

So hopefull antirice, you and I can get away with it, from What Ronnie and I talked about last year it should be fine unless things have changed in whick Mike made no mention the other day at Marz and he knows Im a bigger guy.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
What do you want to know about the evo and evo ti? ive been on an evo ti for a little over a month and it has blown my mind. You will definitely need to up the spring rate for your weight. the stock spring works for riders from anywhere from 150lbs up to 200lbs max. im 155 with gear and onyl ahve a couple clicks of preload on the fork. Ive also spent some time on the regular evo.(me and the guys ordered an evo ti and two evos) The regular evo feels exactly the same except for the weight difference. My first choice would've been the regular evo, but since im a light guy i went for the evo ti. Also, oil heights have been spot on for all 3 forks.
Just the Evo, I have zero intrest in the Ti.... I am in no way cool enough for a ti sprung fork, Ok so Ill be in need of a heavier spring, What do you feel about the tunability right out of the box? How plush is it throughout its travel? How do the bushings feel? How do you like the Hi lo comp adjusters? I like the new design, but the BS statement from Marz for 08 and 09 that the slop was needed..... I dont want slop in the bushings.

Im a Marz fan, I was very dissapointed with everything in the 08 09 lineup. rear shocks that fell apart, forks with almost 2mm of play in the lowers at times being considered normal operation, AtA's that would end up six inches of travel at the end of a run at Fontana. I got screwed on a rear shock, cant go into it alot, thats why I have available the pricing from Marz that I have.......

Just any pros or cons at all is what I am looking for... Ramp up, bottomg, blowing through travel.... Anything..