Quantcast

Need Some Guidance

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey monkeys, I need some help sorting out this 29er business.

Lately I've been growing a bit tired of my DH bike, especially since it is a bit small for me and I would like to replace it soon anyways ($$$). The necessity of driving to find good trails, traveling to resorts, paying for races, etc. just doesn't really seem all that worth it to me anymore.

Enter the 29er. I want a cross country bike that I can ride hard like the DH bike (sort of), looks cool, feels "right", and I don't have to think about. Just a bike for riding medium-hard trails that will be dependable.

I've been entertaining the idea of a Fisher Rig, especially because the shop I work at carries Fisher. It's dedicated single speed (a big plus, way prettier), has decent geo, great parts, etc. The only things I'm concerned about are the EBB and the aluminum tubing. I would really prefer a steel bike, but the Rig is way up there for me.

The other bikes I'm considering are the Raleigh XXIX and the Monocog Flight. However, the parts spec isn't quite what I'd like. However, I do believe I could EP both as well.

So what's the deal? Would the Rig suit my riding?

I would love a cheap-ish steel frame I could build up, but most mid-level frames can accommodate gears, V's and disc brakes, etc. and are pretty ugly. I know it's stupid, but I really love the clean lines of a dedicated SS.

Anyways, thought I'd post these ideas here and see how the experts feel about it.

Thanks in advance!

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
i had a fisher ferrous and it would fill all your needs. I owned the bike and enjoyed it a bunch. The EBB didn't give me any troubles...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Good to know. Since I live in a dry climate, I suppose that would be another thing that would make the EBB a non-issue.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah look into the Fisher Ferrous.

Regarding the Ferrous - you should double check to see how you like it compared to a Rig though. I believe that the Ferrous still uses slightly different frame geometry than the "G2" Rig (and the rest of the AL Fishers).

The Monocog Flight is also a very good bike for the buck (even better at EP prices!) I had one of the first generation green ones and it was a really nice frame and fork combo for the money. I think They've only gotten nicer!!

Last edited:

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I ordered a KHS solo-one SE thru my shop today. I know nothing about 29ers, just looking for something to get me thru winter. If I like it, then I'll get something nicer in the spring time if money is right. Looking forward to trying something totally different/new though...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well it's semi official: my DHer is up for sale, and I will most likely be giving a 29er a go in the near future.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
How long have you worked in the shop that sells Fisher? I remember seeing two 07' Rigs with broken seat tubes right above the top tube and one 08'.

And if you want something to handle like a dh bike, why not a fully 29er? Something like one of the Niners.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I've worked there on and off for years, but we don't do much 29er stuff (never even ordered a Rig).

I don't want a 29er to replace my DH bike, I want to do different riding. I've ridden everything from SS 26" rigids to BMX bikes to fixies to road bikes, I don't want everything to handle like a DH bike too. :D

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
How long have you worked in the shop that sells Fisher? I remember seeing two 07' Rigs with broken seat tubes right above the top tube and one 08'.
Gary Fisher/Trek have always been good about warrenties for situations like this. A mechanic at my shop had a Paragon for about 6 months, in that time he went OTB about 4 times. Needless to say, he cracked his frame by his seat tube/tt weld. We had a fresh frame in 36 hours.

SingleGuy

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Japan
gave up DH last year. I sold my Sunday, but then took my 29er HT DHing a few weekends, and it worked so much better than I could have imagined....fun!

I've also ridden the Cobia a bit, same geo and frame material as the Rig, and it was good. I think you'll be happy with it. I do like the ride of my Bandersnatch (steel), but then my first gen Rig isn't a bone-jarring ride, and it's sooo light!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
That's good to hear!

Apparently my shop might not still be able to get Rigs since we do primarily Specialized now, but I might look into a Monocog Flite now.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
took my 29er HT DHing a few weekends, and it worked so much better than I could have imagined....fun!
See, thats something im interested in hearing. Ive been throwing the idea around of building a super burly chromo 29er HT frame to bomb some of the local DH trails on and maybe race some of the easier courses:bonk:. Its just hard to get motivated for that project with the lack of 29er goodies:rant:

SingleGuy

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Japan
Its just hard to get motivated for that project with the lack of 29er goodies:rant:
Parts selection is getting better all the time.

After my experience I was all primed to build a HT up with the new 120 Reba, Salsa Gordo rims etc, but ran out of money:greedy:. I even managed to cram Maxxis DH tubes into my Rampages - that was the key - made the bike a lot more bombproof.

I'd love to try something like an Azonic Steelhead in 29er, but if I was to do it tomorrow I'd probably go with the new Chumba frame - that looks awesome.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Parts selection is getting better all the time.

After my experience I was all primed to build a HT up with the new 120 Reba, Salsa Gordo rims etc, but ran out of money:greedy:. I even managed to cram Maxxis DH tubes into my Rampages - that was the key - made the bike a lot more bombproof.

I'd love to try something like an Azonic Steelhead in 29er, but if I was to do it tomorrow I'd probably go with the new Chumba frame - that looks awesome.
Sinister Simon Bar - nuff said.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What do you guys think of Curtlos? I found this thing for sale somewhere at a decent price. My only objection is that at 6' 1" and lanky, the 25.5" TT might be too long, even with a short stem (which I like). What do you guys think?

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
I'd love to try something like an Azonic Steelhead in 29er.
I designed a frame similar to an evil imperial but for 29s. 13.25 bb, 68degree HA, 17.5 CS, etc. Chromoly instead of aluminum. Thought about coupleing that with a avalanche fork with extended bumps to allow the 29s to clear at full bump. Ive got to put a frame together before april(start of race season) so it may come to reality. It will be that or a fully 26er. Havent decide yet.

SingleGuy

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Japan
What do you guys think of Curtlos?
Beautiful bike! If you are happy with the V-brakes, I'd say get it. I'm 5-10 and my Rig has a 24.7 ETT, and it's fine with an 80 or 90mm stem. I don't think 25.5 is too much for someone 6-1.

Zenki - sounds badass! I'd run one of the new 29er forks instead though, a 5inch for on a 29er HT would surely be enough it the geo were right.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
The only thing with the TT length that worries me is that while I have really long arms, my torso is kind of short. I'm really considering that bike though. I don't mind the V-brakes, and I love how streamlined it is.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I designed a frame similar to an evil imperial but for 29s. 13.25 bb, 68degree HA, 17.5 CS, etc. Chromoly instead of aluminum. Thought about coupleing that with a avalanche fork with extended bumps to allow the 29s to clear at full bump. Ive got to put a frame together before april(start of race season) so it may come to reality. It will be that or a fully 26er. Havent decide yet.
A 29er Imperial with an Avy - wow - that would be ummmmm........interesting. Not sure if it would be any good - but it would certainly be interesting.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I have a haro mary for sale with on one carbon fork, fsa carbon gravity dh bars, dj stem, hope brakes, spinergy pedals and some other goodies for $1200 .... everything is more or less new too. Frame is a medium, I am 5'7" and it fits nice.

ZenkiGarage

Monkey
Jan 9, 2007
Portland, Or
Zenki - sounds badass! I'd run one of the new 29er forks instead though, a 5inch for on a 29er HT would surely be enough it the geo were right.
The only problem with the current forks, is none of them are strong enough for downhill use. The avy bump corrected would only be around 150mm. Back in the day i raced downhill on hardtails, so i dont see it being much different than that except for the bonus of of having the ability to roll over better. Eh, who knows lol.

Bicyclist: If you like the looks of that curtlos why not just go with the monogcog 29er. Not the flight though. Look basically identical, both have v's plus the 'Cog has the ability to run disk(has mounts and disk hubs already).

heres mine, with 50mm stem and sunline riser bars:

AA717driver

Chimp
Oct 21, 2006
The land of Bio-diesel
Hey, 29'er soon-to-be here. I'm starting with the Monocog and the LBS doesn't have one to size with. I'm 5'11" and have gone with 18" frames before--do you change and go shorter with a 29'er?

Thanks!

TC