Quantcast

Need some opinions on a new bike

Pogstar

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
I'm in the market for a new freeride/all mountain bike. For the past 8 years i've been doing cross country on a ****ty no suspension CCM bike. (go ahead laugh, get it out) it did help me become a more smooth and technical rider. I'm now deffinatly long overdue for a new bike. I don't want to spent over $2000 CND. I'm 6 feet tall and weight 160Lbs.

I'm looking for something with about 6-7 inch rear travel, and would prefer a dc fork.

The type of riding i will being doing with it is, pretty technical trails and freeride and maybe the occasional dj. I would like it to be able to climb hills alittle too. I really don't care about going fast a would like something pretty light. I want some thing that will be able to take about 5-10 foot drops. Next season i also plan to take it to BC too. So pretty much i'm looking for a all around bike that can handle almost everything. (i know it's alot to ask especially with my budget)

Bikes i've had in mind are.

Kona Coiler with a new fork maybe a Marz 66, 888 or a boxxer

Specialized Big Hit, (FSR 1 is the only one i can afford new, a 2 or3 would deffinatly have to be used.)

Iron Horse 7 point 5 or 7 point 7, this would be used too

Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho

Giant AC

Norco shore 3 or six 3, these would be used too

Santa Cruz VP free. this would be sick but hard to find under $2000

What do you guys think? can you recommend anything else.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
over your budget but I would seriously look into the Specialized Enduro's, by next season I would guess that C$2000 would get you a nice used one. I have not ridden anything that gives you that light a bike that lets you really freeride as well.

Pogstar

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
an enduro would be my top choice but i dout i'll find one for under 2g. I will keep an eye out though

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
might you consider a Transition Dirtbag, or maybe even a Preston? you should be able to find one new used in your price range. both bikes rock and can do it all, but might not fit into your light weight category, although it is on par with the listed bikes above.

Pogstar

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
i've been driving hardtail to long. fs is deffinatly needed, maybe in the future i'll get a ht

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
you might want to go to your local specialized dealer and see if they can get you a bighit fsr 3 on clearence, i think they are now or will be real soon, my shop quoted 1700 usd for a fsr2.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
might you consider a Transition Dirtbag, or maybe even a Preston? you should be able to find one new used in your price range. both bikes rock and can do it all, but might not fit into your light weight category, although it is on par with the listed bikes above.
i love my dirtbag. highly recommended. the frame is not suepr expensive, and build it with some used parts.

burly50

Where the hell is everyone?
May 13, 2006
Westtown, NY
Talk to your LBS and see if they have any demo bikes that they are getting rid of. That's how I got my Enduro Expert. 3600 dollar bike for $2000 with only 6 rides on it. I took it out for the day and couldn't find one mechanical flaw. I couldn't create any either, ha ha. It's definitely a tough bike. I can't imagine ever getting a deal like that again in my life time. Another thing I like about the Enduro is that it climbs just as well as my Stump Jumper. I was going to keep both, but I really don't see any need for the Stumpy any more. Good luck in your search.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
talk to your local specialized dealr....all the 06 stuff is on clearence now and they still have some 05 stuff wich is going for FACTORY COST (hella cheap in layman's terms).....big hits are super cheap and sxt's are actually affordable.

Pogstar

Chimp
Aug 23, 2006
ever time i go to my specialized dealer they never have crap in stock, only hardtails, everything they got to order in. i don't think i'll be picking up any deals there.

I see alot of people are selling coilers and norco's six's for fairly cheap which means i can put more money into upgrading it and have a good all around bike in the end. I'm starting to think that the big hit might be to much freeride/downhill for me. I'll still keep an open eye out.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
about your specialized dealer, most of us don't carry a large stock of bikes like this because we don't sell a whole lot. Specialized has all of their clearence bikes listed on their distributer website so we know what they have and how much it costs. Just go in to your shop and see if they'll show you whats up. If not come to my shop and I will. Once ordered we can have the bike to you in a matter of a week or a little more.