Quantcast

Need your help

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
I have been racing for about 15 years and am on the verge of hitting 30. Ouch. I have raced xc, ds, mx and downhill and have taken a year off this year to recover from a bad accident last year and to buy a house.. Save some money. But I have decided that I am too out of shape and need to get back where I was and want to get a road bike to help with the training. With funds being a little low I was wondering what everyone though about the following bike. Trek . I really want an OCLV, since I have ridden them before and I loved it but the $ is not there for one. Why TREK? For me it is because they are the only road bikes that i have ever gotten on and did not have to adjust anything except the seat.

Again i will be new to this world but would love to make the move forward and maybe even get in to some local races. Let me know... THanks..

dhrider

Chimp
Nov 5, 2003
culpeper,VA
have u looked at cannondale r series, i have a r600 and its awesome, not carbon tho, but one hell of a fine road bike i think.

Nitromike

Monkey
May 14, 2004
Some ghetto in Houston
Too bad you're stuck on Trek, this is more bike for the same money.

FRAME Specialized compact design, Columbus SLX, double-butted, heat-treated
FORK Specialized Carbon Zertz, bonded carbon legs, 7075 alloy threadless steerer
HEADSET Specialized Mindset, 1 1/8” integrated threadless, with triple sealed cartridge bearings, alloy cone and headset spacers
STEM Specialized Pro, 3D forged alloy, 31.8mm bar clamp, 4-position adjustable, 4-bolt
HANDLEBARS Specialized Zertz Comp, racing drop, 31.8mm diameter
TAPE / GRIPS Body Geometry, thin Bar Phat, cork ribbon
FRONT BRAKE Dual pivot, forged alloy, with cartridge multi-condition pads
REAR BRAKE Dual pivot, forged alloy, with cartridge multi-condition pads
BRAKE LEVERS Shimano 105, STI
FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 105, 31.8mm clamp, bottom pull
REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano Ultegra, short cage (double)
SHIFT LEVERS Shimano 105, STI, flight deck compatible
CASSETTE Shimano 105, 9-speed, 12x25t
CHAIN Shimano HG 73
CRANKSET FSA Gossamer, 2-piece, five arm, black polished
CHAINRINGS 53Ax39A (double)
BOTTOM BRACKET FSA Gossamer, alloy exterior bearings (integrated)
PEDALS Composite body, Cr-Mo axle
RIMS Alex ALX-295, 700c, alloy double wall, machined sidewalls
FRONT HUB Alex ALX-295, 20 hole, sealed bearing, black, alloy QR
REAR HUB Alex ALX-295, 24 hole, cassette, sealed bearing, black, alloy QR
SPOKES Alex 2.0mm (14g), super aero stainless, black alloy nipples
FRONT TIRE Specialized Mondo Comp, 700 x 23c, Kevlar bead
REAR TIRE Specialized Mondo Comp, 700 x 23c, Kevlar bead
TUBES Specialized Turbo Ultra Light, presta valve
SADDLE Body Geometry Avatar, microfiber, hollow Cr-Mo rails
SEAT POST Specialized Pavé II, carbon fiber, 27.2x350mm
SEAT BINDER Specialized, forged/CNC, double wedge

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Trek makes a good bike, but if you gotta have carbon take a look at the Specialized Roubaix line. Impressive performance (ridden by Michele Scarponi in Le Tour), amazing vibration damping characteristics and really nice price points.

The Allez Elite is an amazing value and an amazing bike for the money. That frame was S-Works like four years ago.

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
I am not stuck on TREK but it is what I have ridden- I am open to additional options. This is just what I need- additional frames to look at.. Keep them comming. I will look into the ones that you have sugggested. Thanks again..

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
buy the frame! components can and will be upgraded over time.

On a budget, i like the Fuji Roubaix. But I'm biased.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
That Weyless seems like an excellent deal, but if you want the LBS support (probably not a bad thing to have for your first road bike), I would consider either the Specialized or the Trek. They have radically different geometries though, so ultimately you should go for the one that fits you best.