Quantcast

Neko at the Maxxis Cup, Gouveia, Portugal Results

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
Neko Mulally
Sunday, March 20, 2011First race in the books

Today I raced the Maxxis Cup in Gouveia, Portugal and I'm very pleased with how everything went for my first race of 2011. The weather has been beautiful all weekend, sunshine and warm temps made everything more enjoyable. The event was different than most, with two days of training, then two final runs on sunday. The track was very technical with lots of gaps and big hucks in sketchy places. Most of it was high speed as well. While it was good to be on a rough track again, it made for a dangerous run if you pushed hard.

This morning in training I had all of my lines dialed and was feeling really solid on the track. On my last run of practice, I hit a gap I had done the run before that was pretty risky and had a major crash. I blew up my rear wheel on impact and had a massive over the bars. It was the kind that before you know it, there's dirt in your mouth and your laying on the ground.

To my surprise I was completely alright. A bit shaken up, but uninjured. Worst part was that I destroyed my awesome fresh new helmet. Parkins got it all on film which is one positive from suffering a crash like that. I managed to get myslef to the bottom of the track and had to get ready right away for my first final run. While I was warming up at the top, a lot was going through my mind. I was told by the team not to risk it and leave the race healthy, but It's hard to get in the start gate and not want to win. I put all that to the side and put down a stock run, which put me 2nd behind Danny Hart. I was happy with second given the circumstances and to be 2nd to danny wasn't bad either.

Everyone had another shot to best there times in the second final and I really wanted to hold my position. For my second final I did a better warm up and focused a bit more on my run, but I still kept things under control so I'd stay healthy. I managed to take a few seconds of my first run and hold on for 2nd on the day. I was 1st junior and 2nd elite. I was stoked with how the day finished and happy with where I am after the first race. The prize money wasn't bad either, 530 euros for three minutes work haha.

Tomorrow we go to Vigo, Spain and hang out for the week until the race next weekend. Im looking forward to some more nice weather and some beach time. Big thanks to Sander for all the work he did on the bike and at the top of the hill today. Can't wait for another one next weekend!

For More check out: www.NekoMulally.com

Results:
1. Danny Hart GBR 2:47.901
2. Neko Mulally USA 2:51.635
3. Robin Wallner SWE 2:53.247
4. Emanuel Pombo POR 2:53.335
5. Antonio Ferreiro ESP 2:54.802

NM

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
very nice writeup. Congrats to a great start to the season. Cant really offer any advise you dont already know, but I can tell you we are all pulling for you and wish you a safe and winning season.

team KBR.