Quantcast

Nevegal cornering technique?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Is there something special you have to do? Maybe I'm just use to my soft compound Minions that required no effort to make bite, but I just put some 2.35 Nevegals on my trailbike in the harder compound and on their first ride they felt like complete ass. Nothing but wash wash wash, skittering through the loose stuff. Do I just need to nut up and smoosh the front wheel into stuff, or are these tires not all they're cracked up to be? Would a Stick-E compound up front help me out?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Stick-E would definitely be an improvement.

You'd be surprised at how much of a difference tread compound can make. I nearly broke my thumb last year running 60a FRO 909's at a race in the wet when I should have been running my Minion 40's.

Whenever you go from a hard to soft compound there is always an adjustment period. If you don't like getting used to the hard compound tires - go with the soft Stick-E tires that are closer in performance to the soft Minions you are used to.

skerb

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Clemson,SC
so your comparing your soft compound minions to the harder compound nevegals?...buy a sticky for the front then compare. apples to apples

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i have some 2.35s on my asx's XC wheelset, and i'm having the same issue. it's cool having lighter wheels that make the bike feel 15 lbs lighter, but at the same time i'm not digging the lack of confidence in corners and rough sections. i almost killed myself this past weekend in aptos, i leaned into a partially blown corner and totally lost my front end. i think i might have to stick with minions for the rest of my life, they are probably the best tire i have ever ridden in every aspect.

Loozinskin

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham,WA
I dont know anythign about the nevs in anything under a 2.5 but I can tell you that the stick-e's make a huge diff and the key I've found is to drop the PSI down a little lower than you'd normally be comfortable with and they seem to really come alive.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Much like Peat and Rennie; you couldn't pay me enough money to actually ride on Kendas, especially in dry and loose conditions. While the harder compound is almost certainly part of your problem, you have to accept that the Nevegals will never under any circumstances corner as predictably or competently as Minions (assuming you mean DHFs).

I don't know who has been cracking these up to be anything more than total ass to you, but their cracking is a lie.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
it also could be the bike, you can expect the trail bike to corner the same way a dh bike corners. maybe you could try running a bit more sag if you aren't running much and speed up the rebound.

on roots and rocks i can really feel the difference between compounds, but on hardpack there isn't too much difference. you could also try running a bigger tire and dropping the tire pressure. all this will help you get more traction.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Try the dual compound versions -- hard in the middle soft on the sides. Riding trails on a soft tire is like having your brakes on. They roll sooooo slow.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
Technique One: lower pressure

Technique Two: Stop assuming a 600g 2.35" trail tire will EVER ride like a 2.7 sticky rubber dual-ply 1300g DH tire... it's silly and you will only make yourself glum.

It's like wondering why I can't get the same plush, stiff, bottomless feel from my Reba that I have come to enjoy on my Totem.

Love always,

MM

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Much like Peat and Rennie; you couldn't pay me enough money to actually ride on Kendas, especially in dry and loose conditions. While the harder compound is almost certainly part of your problem, you have to accept that the Nevegals will never under any circumstances corner as predictably or competently as Minions (assuming you mean DHFs).

I don't know who has been cracking these up to be anything more than total ass to you, but their cracking is a lie.
I ride mine at hells gate and thats as dusty dry and sandy as it gets and no problems, I run the nevegal/bluegroove combo and they stick like glue.
Love mine and i have ran both minions and Kendas.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Technique One: lower pressure

Technique Two: Stop assuming a 600g 2.35" trail tire will EVER ride like a 2.7 sticky rubber dual-ply 1300g DH tire... it's silly and you will only make yourself glum.

It's like wondering why I can't get the same plush, stiff, bottomless feel from my Reba that I have come to enjoy on my Totem.

Love always,

MM
You know you wanna trade me a Stick-E... :pirate2:

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Here's the problem,

The 2.35 Nevys suck goat nads. The thin sidewalls make the tires too mushy at low pressures, and too bouncy at high pressures. There's isn't any sweet spot.

2.5 dual ply DH ones freaking rock though, as long as you have 5-7 psi more in the rear than front. I've found them to be incredible in all riding conditions as long as you get the front tire below 20 psi.

If you want a lightweight tire that still rails, the Big Betty is the perfect tire.

Feb 13, 2006
I disagree completely with Spokompton and I have ridden Spokane and I ride in western MT and the Nevegal is the best tire I have ever used. I have it on all my bikes, in varying sizes.

Maybe Spokompton is heavier than me. Maybe he rides more basher-style. I don't know. I do know that what he says about the Nevegal doesn't even come close to holding true for me. They just plain work for me, all the time, all conditions.

To get good cornering from a Nevegal -- corner them on the side knobs. Lean the bike over. Way over.

If you corner them on the main tread, you will get drift and wash if you're in sand-over-hardpack, or have too much PSI.

If the tire is rolling on the rim, you have too little PSI.

Contrary to Spokompton, I find the Nevegals have a nearly 10 psi window of good operation.

And I never run as little as 20 psi in them, NEVER EVER.

I would like to watch Spokompton ride. His estimates of the Nevegal are completely opposite mine, in every category.

modt edit: way too many complaints to ignore it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Your PS is not needed and pretty annoying, there is no need for ingnorant bigotry when people are just giving an opinion.

:plthumbsdown:

However, I pretty much agree with you about the tires. They may not be the best in super loose stuff but I ride in lots of different conditions and I have yet to find a tire as versatile. Plus, I find the different versions to be the right mix of sidewall v. weight. (I have 2.35 singles and 2.5 DH versions.) As others have said, the stickey version has much better grip, especially on wet roots, rocks, and woodwork.

Edit: I like minions too, and right now my big bike has a 2.5 nevegal DH in the back and a 2.7 DHF in front. Works for me, I find the nevegal a little more predictable as a rear than the minion.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'll drop a little pressure out and take them up to Park City...If they still give me crap, I'll probably swap the front out for a Stick-E. Maybe dual ply...I dunno. I wish Maxxis made a soft compound Minion DHF singleply folding bead in DHF.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Nevy's definitely require a different cornering technique than Minions.

1st get forward on them.

2nd enter a turn with less speed lean far onto the cornering knobs and try to limit your drift. This will give you noticeable increase in exit speed.

3rd do those things riding behind a guy your speed on Minions. He will pull away going into every turn, you will close the gap coming out.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Nevegals work great if you commit to the turn otherwise they drift, they drift anyhow until you really get into the corner. like somebody said, you can't carry as much speed into a corner but you carry more out. I tried a pair of the single plys and took them off after two rides because i couldn't keep air in them. I flatted the front climbing.:plthumbsdown:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I agree with particle bored about the nevegal.

They make a 2.35 stick-E 2ply DH version that is about 1050g. I run them on my trail wheels and love em. They dont corner as well as my Minion DHF 2.5/2.7 but I love them as a trail tire. Im not a fan of single ply..... I have found the 2.35 2ply works great and isnt too heavy.

Try the Stick E and the DH 2-ply and you will like them much better. Ive got a used set that is almost new if you are interested.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Personally I'm a big fan of both the Blue groove and the nevagal, i ride in northern NJ which is mainly rocky but it does get plenty dry and dusty during the summer. my only complaint about either tire is the amount of pressure i hav to run to keep from getting rear flats. Anyone out there have any input on the Kenda Kinetics tire?

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
There are other variables that mostly never get discussed when talking about tires and traction. The 3 biggest are:
(1) suspension setting
(2) rider weight
(3) type/size of tube.

(1) If you're suspension is not set up right and not allowing your tires to track the ground, then your tread will never have the opportunity to hook up.

(2) Rider weight - need I say more? I can get away with running 18-24 psi in most conditions and weigh around 165. I guarantee you that a 200lb rider will not want to run those pressures, and I know for a fact that someone weighing 115 lbs will be able to run less pressure.

(3) Tubes - because of the varying thicknesses and sizes of tubes when matched with varying size of tires, the feel and ability for traction will always vary.

From my years of experience, the best thing to do is stick with a tire long enough to understand its characteristics and don't be afraid to make even the most minor tire pressure changes to constantly try and find that sweet spot. And use a gauge, the same gauge, because just grabbing the tire and squeezing does not work.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I'll drop a little pressure out and take them up to Park City...If they still give me crap, I'll probably swap the front out for a Stick-E. Maybe dual ply...I dunno. I wish Maxxis made a soft compound Minion DHF singleply folding bead in DHF.
I got one, and in the mud there the shiz!

Feb 13, 2006
Your PS is not needed and pretty annoying, there is no need for ingnorant bigotry when people are just giving an opinion.

:plthumbsdown:
Yo, jack. You need to go back to your dictionary.

1) No such word as "ingorant."
2) What I typed wasn't bigotry.
3) And correcting your error, what I typed was not ignorant either.

So you need to go re-examine the definitions of ignorant and bigotry, jack.

While you're at it, try a new handle too. Unless "ripper" refers to your breaking wind at every opportunity.

Feb 13, 2006
There are other variables that mostly never get discussed when talking about tires and traction. The 3 biggest are:
(1) suspension setting
(2) rider weight
(3) type/size of tube.

(1) If you're suspension is not set up right and not allowing your tires to track the ground, then your tread will never have the opportunity to hook up.

(2) Rider weight - need I say more? I can get away with running 18-24 psi in most conditions and weigh around 165. I guarantee you that a 200lb rider will not want to run those pressures, and I know for a fact that someone weighing 115 lbs will be able to run less pressure.

(3) Tubes - because of the varying thicknesses and sizes of tubes when matched with varying size of tires, the feel and ability for traction will always vary.

From my years of experience, the best thing to do is stick with a tire long enough to understand its characteristics and don't be afraid to make even the most minor tire pressure changes to constantly try and find that sweet spot. And use a gauge, the same gauge, because just grabbing the tire and squeezing does not work.
Now that ^^^^^^^ is an excellent post, first-rate information!

Thank you!

Now to add to it:

4) Average riding speed -- I weigh 165 ready to ride and I cannot run under 28 psi in any single-ply tire unless I want to risk frequent pinch flats. However, if I baby it on the descents I can miss the flats, but then I don't have fun. Also, in the MTBR forums (idiots, I know) there are people who talk about running 18 psi in single-ply tires on their rigid singlespeeds. All I can say is, to make a single ply tire work while riding trails, these riders have to be slow, they have to corner like old geezers, and they probably ride very smooth terrain.

5) Terrain type -- in the northern Rockies we have lots of rocks and ruts and roots. The rocks typically are sharp and angular granite and shale chunks, not the smooth round stuff that sometimes passes for "rocky" terrain in some parts of the country. For this reason, it's pretty difficult to run low PSI at decent riding speeds.

6) Riding style -- Bashers who like to let their tires, wheels and suspension do all the work are never going to be able to avoid pinch flats, unless they run DH tubes, DH tires, and at least 20-25 psi. People with good BMX or trials skills are going to ride lighter and will be able to get away with thin tubes, XC casings, and low pressure.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
I disagree completely with Spokompton and I have ridden Spokane and I ride in western MT and the Nevegal is the best tire I have ever used. I have it on all my bikes, in varying sizes.

Maybe Spokompton is heavier than me. Maybe he rides more basher-style. I don't know. I do know that what he says about the Nevegal doesn't even come close to holding true for me. They just plain work for me, all the time, all conditions.

To get good cornering from a Nevegal -- corner them on the side knobs. Lean the bike over. Way over.

If you corner them on the main tread, you will get drift and wash if you're in sand-over-hardpack, or have too much PSI.

If the tire is rolling on the rim, you have too little PSI.

Contrary to Spokompton, I find the Nevegals have a nearly 10 psi window of good operation.

And I never run as little as 20 psi in them, NEVER EVER.

I would like to watch Spokompton ride. His estimates of the Nevegal are completely opposite mine, in every category.

Dear Mr. Reading comprehension,

I was refering to the single ply Nevys sucking. Somehow you completely missed my praises for the 2.5 DH sticke? The 2.5 works great just under 20 psi if you're not a total hackjob.

Big Bettys are great tires for being single ply. Some people have to ride uphill for DH so it's a decent compromise. For yuppy phags? Wow, that's just screaming latent something, man. Grow up.

Spokompton is just a name. I live near and ride on the BC North Shore.

Ohh, yeah famous words. "You preference is wrong! :)"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, I will trade you for a 2.5 sticky for the front... it's still a folding single-ply, though. But they are a bit mo grippish.

J
Oooh! Thank you, luv muffin. I'll have to take you up on it when we have another garage consultation.

Those Big Bettys look nice and I've heard that Schwalbe makes great tires, but they're a pain to get in the States and $$$...

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Yeah, that's what I figured. There is no justification for your comment so you resort to weak personal attacks.

Saying Big Betty tires are for "rich Yuppie phags" shows lack of understanding of what it's like to have a few bucks in your pocket (ignorance), and prejudice/intolerance (bigotry) against homosexuals.
I don't need a dictionary, I need a spellcheck.

As for my handle, how did you know? Boy you've really got me pegged. Clown.
Sometimes I wish there was a DH board with an age limit...

Know what I mean? :)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i am using the 29 nevegal in all race conditions.
here is what i have found.

wide rim gets the edge knobs to a more usable area.
they are dual comp. fine for mose mountain use.
rolles faster for sure. i am using DH tubes so that makes
up for most of the thin sidewall issues with the wiggles.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Aside from PB's asinine comments and urge to get the last word into a 2 month old thread (did you just get unbanned, asshat?)...

I have learned to corner with the Nevs. I almost like them more than my Minions, but not quite. They flat ALL THE GODDAMNED TIME. I can normally count on at least one flat per ride. I'm debating about Stans or bumping to a 2-ply. I'm not that big of a hack, weigh 165, and run about 28-32 psi up front and 35 in the rear, yet I still flat once or twice on rides.

Would Stans make the tire just tear open instead of pinching? I know Stans and Kenda is never a good mix, thanks to Kendas crap tire compounds...

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
On the topic, I agree that Nevegals do well on wider rims. I had a 2.5 laced to a front Mag 30 rim (uber wide) and it cornered better than when I had the same one on an MTX.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Aside from PB's asinine comments and urge to get the last word into a 2 month old thread (did you just get unbanned, asshat?)...

I have learned to corner with the Nevs. I almost like them more than my Minions, but not quite. They flat ALL THE GODDAMNED TIME. I can normally count on at least one flat per ride. I'm debating about Stans or bumping to a 2-ply. I'm not that big of a hack, weigh 165, and run about 28-32 psi up front and 35 in the rear, yet I still flat once or twice on rides.

Would Stans make the tire just tear open instead of pinching? I know Stans and Kenda is never a good mix, thanks to Kendas crap tire compounds...

Just get the 2 ply and run thin XC tubes and be done. Ive NEVER had a flat on mine and I run 30 psi front and 35 psi rear. I weigh 175-180 and ride some rough trails too.

Ive seen people have good and bad luck with Stans and Nevs.